1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the anger? I like us mad and united....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mstng1863, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have been reading a lot of the Steelers comments after "the suspension" and see them taking a much different approach this time than in other years when dealing with disciplinary actions. In other years, it seemed to ignite a fire in our players that made them take their play to a higher level and also it seemed to unite our team better to an "Us against the World" mentality.

This year, the players were asked by Tomlin to just say "not comment" when asked about the suspension. Tomlin also seemed to not defend his players lately as much as he has at other times. I know that he met with "God-ell" a month ago after Tomlin defended Ryan Clark's hit and was probably reminded who controls the rotation and revolution of the earth. I guess maybe Tomlin feels it was all to no avail last year and that we need to focus more on playing better than fighting the system.

My fear is that we play better when we are mad and this time I don't see that. (Hopefully, we are a sleeping giant that will be awakened and un-muzzled Monday night.) Maybe we are taking this approach trying to not have more focus on us than other teams, but I still do not like it. I LOVED it last summer when our team was the ONE team to vote against the new NFL agreement (because of the way that the NFL can suspend players and how the same people that pentalize a player are the ones who listen to an appeal, among other things.) I like it this year when our coach stuck up for our players. I liked it when our owner questioned the way our team was being called out last year. I plain like it when we are mad! I know I am more "old school" loving the Steel Curtain days and I love us pounding other teams in the mouth. Still, all year I felt even at 10-3 that we often play with too little passion. Thought?

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    How many times can Tomlin defend the players? Why should other players want to talk about the suspension? It's just a distraction they don't need.

We don't need to play pissed off, we need to play smart.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    no we need some fire...we havent played with much all year

4. mstng1863

Oct 17, 2011

I agree and think that anger carried us all of the way to the Super Bowl last year.

Although 10-3, we had too many close calls! We could easily be 7-6 or worse. Let's just hope that we show the world on Monday that we are back!

5. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, but we could also easily be 12-1... just sayin... :D

A little fire from this defense would be nice though. Despite the stats and record, it feels like our defense has not had the passion and fire that it used to. 3rd and long used to be a pretty much automatic stop for us, now I expect the other team to convert.

6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have been having the same feelings. But I also remember some recent years where we were horrible on third down. We always see to see saw this part of the game as well as special teams. One year we are fine and the next I want to pull my hair out. :shrug:

I'm not trying to play peace maker, but playing smart and fired up at the same time sounds good to me. :superman:

I think the passing of torch from an old guard to new guard combined with maybe not a lot of support behind Harrison on this are what we may be seeing.

7. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I don't know, I would think that our defense or at least our LBs are fired up.

They could still think of it as "Us Against the World", maybe the coaches and players just aren't vocalizing it to the media anymore.

8. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Maybe them having to say no comment means they are saving that anger up for game time. It's building up like a pressure cooker. And it's gonna explode on the 49ers. At least I hope...

9. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    There is certainly a "perfect storm" that has brewed leading to this possibility. The defense has not showed the dominance and fire that we know it can all season, and now we have a hobbled leader of the offense and a short-handed defense that can allow the defense to explode. I hope it happens this week and allows the Steelers to come flying out from under the radar and strike some fear in the so-called "elite" teams in the NFL. Bring on a Packers-Steelers rematch in SB XLVI!

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How can you play "mad" anymore and not get fines and suspensions?

Goodell put a serious crimp in the Steelers style of play.

11. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    This isn't the old NFL anymore where players really disliked each other.

Most times before and after games these guys are all hugging, shaking hands and laughing. Joey Porter was the last time that you've actually seen a Steelers player really dislike the opposition.

I'm surprised they are required to have a gift exchange before kick off.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. When the new Goodell era was being ushered in my first thought was how much that would hurt this team.

13. mstng1863

Oct 17, 2011
    Great points everyone! I hope we start by stunning the world on Monday. I would love to see the defense show up to remind everyone that defense wins championships. :dfense: