1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where’s our 2023 excitement room at?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brandon556211, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep hearing he played in the SEC, I didn’t know. Guess who else played for Florida, Trask, he is a better QB than Richardson and I don’t think he is even being considered for the starting job now that Brady is gone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This, and this.
    The more Qbs taken early....the more choices for us.

• Like Like x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This. He had something like 43 tds , and 8ints His last year, and they haven't had a winning season since He left.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Because Richardson played at Florida and he blew away the combine. Plus he's what 6'4 and 240? His measurements are freakish.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean Alabama had Blake Sims playing winning qb. Not hard for them. Nor Lincoln Riley and Oklahoma. Lincoln Riley had people thinking Spencer rattler was the first pick in the draft.

6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's not the energy this board was giving me about Pickett. I said that was the reason he fell and no one reached for him but I was told otherwise.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's the way of the nfl now. Everyone wants a dual threat qb. The days of the statues are over. Everyone has some sort of mobility. And now they're saying Richardson is being considered for number 1.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The reason he fell was because he was a one year wonder at a smaller conference and was going to be a 24 year old rookie. There were enough question marks (hand size, arm, along with the other things listed previously) on top of the fact that there was a good market for lower end starting QB's in FA so there wasn't a ton of teams that felt like they NEEDED a QB. IDK. Last year was a particularly weird year for the QB position. Wont see too many years like that one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mobile is Great....running Qbs are not. Everyone that has been around the sport in the last 25 years from players to coach knows why this is so.
    It's way easier to win games in school , and younger(Pop Warner) with the most athletic Guy that can throw..when You don't have time to implement real offenses, and defense. That's why there are so many in college that way now. Also why it doesn't work so well When it's a actual job in the NFL, and You do have time for it.
    People will say well Why do they say that on the shows that You need it???....Because what are they going to say....the truth???......We have way more running Qbs in college than we ever have, and they are not as good, but it what it is. They can't say that.
    So of course they push it. It would be dumb as a business not to.
    Also there is no such thing as a duel threat Qb....You are either really good at one,or the other, and people thinking that a Guy can play a sport from 6 years old to 22, and all of a sudden change....in the hardest place to play in the world....need to rethink this.
    Yes You can polish things, but You can't relearn stuff after that long....well not in the time You will have in the NFL before they give up on You.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  10. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

A lot of people are also ignoring Stetson Bennet from Georgia and placing him later in the 3rd day despite having won everywhere he’s played including GA in the SEC and winning TWO(!!!) national championships.

Get ready for another unpopular opinion of mine. But I’d like to see the Steelers take a flyer on him in the 7th round as our #3.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not unpopular to Me.
    I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    His age and ability. He was very good and consistent but his talent is lacking compared to the other top qbs.

13. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

Some people are just gamers and winners. All NFL teams snubbed Doug Flutie for his size and talent. And after having a legendary career in Canada finally got a small shot in the NFL in the end and when he did he still performed fairly well when called upon. I sure liked him. And I think if he was a draft candidate now he’d be pretty great. Some guys just have *it*. Something intangible.

He’s gonna get drafted and I’m really going to keep my eyes peeled with great interest to see how he performs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  15. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Very. Seems like we've ended the Ben era, transitioned and are about to go on an upswing again, I think last couple of years have been just that a transition, happens to a ton of teams when you your QB is coming to the end, GB have been in it, it takes time to make a new team so to speak, especially when that QB is a future HOF's is eating up a ton of cap space, and isn't what he was, and also the team around him has holes all over.

That's were we were, now we're in a much better spot with younger talent, what looks like better depth going forward and a younger team, these things take time. And to my mind, the division doesn't look as tough as it we thought it would a couple of years ago - Burrows aside, who is an elite QB, Browns promise just flamed out, and the rats are a mess.

We've come a long way since the Browns playoff game debacle, and two teams have gone backwards, but we're still a long way off the Chiefs, and some way off the Bengals IMO. A playoff game against anyone else in the AFC? - yeah we could win that, we could beat the Bengals maybe?, Mahomes et al, nah not yet.

Last season was better than I expected which bodes well for the future, If you can't be optmistic at this pointthen **** knows where you're at...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am very excited and can't wait for the draft. With adding to our
    OL and ILB room just hope we can knock it out of the park on draft day.
    We have improved our roster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. Very AJ McCarron like in a way. The exact type of guy you'd like to see as your back up QB eventually. Let him learn a year or so as the #3 emergency QB and then take over the back up job when we move on from Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    The jet sweep adds a few things to the offense. One its a way to keep teams moving side to side (and to have to respect the horizontal pre-snap motion) in order to allow Najee to get yards straight ahead. It also makes back side defenders have to be honest and stay at home instead of crashing hard down the line. Plus the occasional big play from them helps a lot too.

It's not that we get 5 yards every time we run it. We get a couple that go nowhere and one good chunk. Which is great, as that's what they're for. I don't mind them, they just need to be used correctly situationally. My main peeve with them is that we seemed to be very predictable with them early in the year. Canada's play-calling improved drastically by year's end and they seemed to work better and be called at opportune times.

• Like Like x 2
  19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Does anyone remember when Bruce Ariens used to get killed in this board with his bunch formations at WR.

They are now a staple that every team employs including the Steelers.

I’ll admit that I was on this band wagon at the time too. I wanted him gone like lots of other folks and then he went on for a stellar career professionally in almost every respect.

Hard to tell if the Steelers would have been better with him or Haley. I know Ben was salty about releasing him into “retirement” and probably pushed Haley out the door even though his scheme probably added years on to his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No....Truthfully, and Honestly....I liked Him as the OC. I wasn't on this board then, but I would read it , and think how dumb people that wanted Him gone were. LoL. Hell My cousin, and I would have this conversation long into the night about Bruce, and Haley. I thought they both were good OCs, but both had weaknesses....like each, and everyone does.

21. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben was pissed they pushed him out. Might be one of the few times Ben didn’t get his way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually heard Tomlin, and Ben both didn't like it.
    So that shows that at least then Tomlin didn't have full control.

23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    That I don’t remember hearing one way or another. It was a high flying offense though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we have, just not our coaching, the albatross still , IMO.

25. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    If we just post enough of this kind of stuff they will fire him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1