1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When you get old . . .

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I fear Ben's decline will be much like the Toby Keith Lyrics - "I ain't as good as I once was,
    but I'm as good once as I ever was". We'll see the occasional good pass with zip, long bomb on target, but those'll be punctuated with misfires and errant throws. Consistency declines as you get older.

What I really don't get, though, is the decline in decision making. One would think at 39 that would still be intact, though he has had his bell rung a good bit.

I fear the ratio of Good Ben to Bad Ben will worse than it has Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Was Ben’s decision making ever really a strength though? I remember so many times saying “No Ben!… Yes! OMG!” when Ben would do something that no QB should ever try, but pull it off because of his physical ability. That physical ability to be audacious and pull it off is really what made Ben “Ben.”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good point. I hit a golf ball much further years ago but with age I lost a lot of distance but I'm actually scoring better now (as long as I play from senior tees) because my wisdom of the short game is 90% better then when I was young and just trying to smash the ball.

4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Ben would move around, pump fake guys open, make great throws downfield. Those days are long gone. Now he's getting rid of the ball ASAP to avoid getting hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I asked my uncle one day how his golf game was. He lamented he couldn’t hit the ball as far as he did.

He was 100 years old at the time.

I asked if he was hitting from the ladies tees? He called me a SOB. :smiley1:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    WOW! There are 5 guys over 80 at my club and a lot of guys in their 70's. Between my back getting weaker and arm strength of a woman I must admit I have played from the ladies tees. Golf is an expensive sport and when I pay those high summer prices at other courses I want to enjoy myself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Only about 10% of Golfers that ever play a Par 72 course, ever break 100. So just think if you do that your in the Top 10% of people who will ever play.

So he could of least shot his age. LOL that probably ticked him off even more.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Sadly Ben can't throw it from the back tees to the ladies tees now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My favorite Cowher quote was when asked about Ben’s ability to scramble and make a play, he responded that he wished the play that had been called had worked. so maybe his ability to read defenses has always been bad, but he could compensate. Also, I think historically he had better safety valves - Ward, Miller, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    And he never really put in the time to learn defenses or become a really great QB. A guy with so much amazing Raw talent but thats it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Unfortunately, I think this is accurate. I don’t think Ben has ever been a ‘student of the game’ or particularly great a reading defenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    At first I thought the OP was talking about JEH and to a lesser extent me. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I agree somewhat about wanting to get hit, but it’s not like the o line is giving him a lot of time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    When he retired from his real job he moved down to Florida near a country club. He went over and got a job doing grounds work and being a ranger. One of the perks was during non prime time he could play golf for free and take up to 3 people with him. He did that for about 20-25 years until he was to old to work. When he told the club he was quitting they just told him he could keep playing golf for free for life. I thought that was classy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Gave partial effort but took a full paycheck. I can’t respect that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1