1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When will we see Kenny Pickett as starting quarterback?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Sep 17, 2022.

1. By game 4

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Games 5-8

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Games 9-12

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Last quarter of the season (games 13-17)

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. We won’t, he’ll hold the clipboard for Mitch all season

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What??? LoL. Hahaha. Didn't read. Geez Louise papa cheese. It's not that long....want Me to break it down in little audio sound bites. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I expected Trubisky to do more rollouts, and run more, throw to the MOF all the stuff Ben didn't do. Its early maybe things will change.

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It makes no sense :shrug:

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Two.....two....so You only get two seasons, and have gotta pay Him. F....that.
    You only learn the speed of anything by doing it. Yes there are certain things He can learn from the bench, but the speed, and can He do it under fire only happens when playing. Hell there is not a Qb in the NFL that can't show You what 2 do on the board, it's the ones that can do it under fire.....that are great. It's the same in any sport.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Don't know what to tell you.:shrug::shrug:

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    What part of Ben didn't play well at the end of the 2020 season, don't you understand :rolleyes:? I need to find another emoji, this guy is a copycat :bowdown:.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What part of the end of the season is not the whole season don't You understand???
    Again by what You are saying.... they should take L. Jackson's MVP away because He played like crap in His playoff game , and lost . It's not how it works. :bowdown: LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There is NO REASON whatsoever that Tomlin should not start Pickett NOW. He’s 24 years old, started a ton of games at Pitt, and there is no quarterback on the roster better than he is at this point. Trubisky looks scared and appears to lack confidence. Pickett has shown a lot of confidence throughout his college career and in the preseason. I remember one particular moment in the preseason, I think against Jacksonville, I saw Pickett get fired up over a missed assignment or the play call or something and remember thinking that this “kid” has those intangible leadership qualities needed to be a successful NFL quarterback. TBH, Trubisky looks lethargic and just seems to be low energy. The Pickett era needs to start immediately and Tomlin is quickly running out of reasons to continue to delay it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Please… you love the stats until they don’t back up your argument. In 2020 Mitch threw 16 TDS in 10 games, 9 starts and Ben 33 in 16. Ben with more than 2x the throws. The same 5.4% of passes going for TDs. That’s serviceable QB stats. You’re clearly fishing for me and others to say “oh STD you so smart, me so stupid.” Not happening here based on what I’ve observed so far. Context matters. I’ve always rated Mitch as nothing more than a serviceable bridge QB who could win games if we take advantage of his athleticism (which we’re really not doing unless you count dodging edge rushers that blow by Moore as taking advantage of his athleticism by design). You tell me, what would you have done back in March with the QB position? You didn’t like Trubisky. That’s fair enough. There were no really good options for anything beyond a bridge QB, so we had to just go for the best option for the short term. If your answer is Rudolph…. Well I can’t help you with that. Maybe eye surgery would help.

I think we can both agree that Pickett is the best option now. Back in March when we picked up Trubisky, we didn’t know where Pickett would be drafted or if we’d get him. The only reason I was hesitant to have Pickett start out of the gate was our O line. Coming out of preseason our O line looked like the worst position group in the NFL, and I didn’t want Pickett to have to start off his career as a starter being shell shocked. It’s been improving though. The right side is really solidifying. Daniels is starting to look like what I was expecting, and Chuks is turning into a far better player than I expected. The weakest link right now seems to be Moore, and for that reason I wouldn’t want to start Pickett tonight and have him deal with Garrett vs. Moore in his blindside in his first start. But after tonight I’m ready for the change unless Mitch plays a lot better within the confines of the scheme and play calling that we’re giving him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Give it one more week. I don’t know if I want to see Pickett have to deal with Moore vs. Garrett in his blind side in his first NFL start.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Why lose with Mitch Trubisky when you can see what Kenny Pickett can do?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks there are going to be some growing pains with KP,
    I hope we all understand this going forward. He will need help
    from OC. OL, WR, RB's . The OC scares me more than anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The panels in ESPN are divided about when to start Pickett. Most are saying start him against the Jets the next game after tonight. There are some though that make the case that let Trubisky play through the gauntlet of the Bills, Bucs, Dolphins and Eagles games and then comes the bye. After the bye start Pickett when there are games against teams like the Saints, Colts and Falcons etc coming up.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. DoinThatRag

DoinThatRag Active Member

Aug 17, 2022
    I hate to say this but I hope the steelers can't manage a first down in the first half and it forces Tomlin's hand to make the QB change in the second half. The steelers D keeping us in games also has an adverse affect on when KP will get the start.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think there was ever any chance they were going to make the change for tonight. It is only the third game of the season and it is a short week.

I'm guessing they want to give Trubisky more than three games, but the longer time off between tonight and next week's game makes it a great opportunity if they are going to make a change.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. OK. Whatever You say....., LoL....but first ..
    .Ben didn't even play 16 games.....so right off .....Wrong......LoL.....
    The rest You wrote matters little to me....because apparently You are not reading what I wrote. ......of course a team goes with its strength......surprise surprise our team wanted Ben to throw more than Chicago wanted Trubisky to throw......WOW.....You are spitting some knowledge there. LoL.
    Here this is what You want to hear. You are correct Trubisky was a great move.....He's so great...LoL. OK enough....
    I can't believe You are letting this get to You over Trubisky....over Trubisky. :lolol:.
    Also If You think I want .... You are so smart...I'm so dumb.....LoL.....that actually hurts My feelings, and I thought better of You, and You of Me...., but I .....will over look it......

To some on this board they think if someone says the House is on fire, and the House is on fire....they think that person wants the House to burn...., and I believe that's silly. :shrug:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    only one day of practice on a short week. Not a snowball’s chance in hell kp was going to start tonight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree but you know how impatient NFL fans can be. The same folks screaming for Pickett will be the first to say he is a wasted pick if he starts out slow. And he will start out slow. It is a learning process.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Answer the question. What should have been done when the team signed Trubisky? There was a clear need for at least a bridge starter for 2022, the draft was almost 2 months away and we had the 20th pick, so no way to plan for a specific rookie QB to be available to us. It wasn’t a good time to have an immediate QB need.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will answer this, and No more about this.....because I really like You, and Blast, and You both are getting upset about this for No reason.
    Ok....My answer Honestly ......after watching Trubisky so much in Chicago.....I'd have went anywhere else....
    I actually would Have went with Mason, and drafted the two top Qbs that I had on My board in the 1st(which We did)....whomever happened to be leftover in the 3rd. That way We wouldn't be tied to anyone, and Could have actually had a Qb competition....instead of just handing it to Trubisky. Because that's what they did.....only one man started every preseason game.
    If it didn't work....so be it....there is another draft coming.

21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i agree

going no where w Trubs and Canada

a suck night tonight and Pickett may start vs. the Jets, the softest game he could get.

23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I could never see Mike Tomlin doing that. Should that happen I would enjoy the hell out of the GDT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I wouldn't exactly call them 'winning seasons'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    That panel seems united that Trub won't last. Curious, did that other QB's name get a mention at all??