1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the last time...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Nov 3, 2013.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I meant a TEAM with a franchise (and according to some, ELITE) quarterback in the PRIME of his career has performed this badly for a two season stretch!

Where did I blame Ben? Geez, I'd love to see some of you guys' reading comprehension transcripts from high school! :facepalm:

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Tomlin lost this team mid-season lst year, and hasnt done anything to get it bck,......His lil takeing the pingpong table and no flips in the endzone stunt does not seem to wrk, if anything prob made the situation worse JMO

3. NM Steelers Fan

NM Steelers Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    "Where did I blame Ben? "

Umm, this IS the Steelers message board. What QB could you have been talking about?

4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    My point of the post is why are the Steelers not having success even though they have a franchise and, arguably, elite quarterback in Ben. I am not putting all of the blame on Ben for the Steelers issues the last couple of seasons. I am merely trying to get opinions on why this might be happening. Is it coaching? The supporting cast? And a question I had was has this happened before with franchise quarterbacks and if so, who? How is that blaming Ben for everything? There is plenty of blame to go around as you pointed out.

5. NM Steelers Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    Dude, I understand what you are saying, but can you honestly say that ANY QB that plays in this offense is going to play any better? I really don't think so, but that's my worthless opinion.

6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That's just it, I don't think Ben is playing that badly. But we're not winning. That's the mystery I'm trying to solve here. I think a team that has a QB like Ben should win the majority of its games. Do you think Belichick could win with Ben? What about Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh? Mike McCarthy in GB? Why can't our coaches win with one of the top QBs in the league? In fact, let's go beyond Ben. Do you think Belichick would be 2-6 with our talent? I've just revealed my thoughts on the matter. I think our lack of success even though we have a franchise QB comes down to coaching, and it starts with the head guy!

7. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    IMO it is because we no longer have any team leaders; hell you might even want to go as far as to say that we don't have any "team players" anymore. Instead what we have are a bunch of players all doing their own damn thing.

8. NM Steelers Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't know if Belichick would win with this team, but he has a track record of winning with whatever happens to his team. I don't think he would let it get to this point. He, (Belichick) runs the show.

We really don't know what's going on behind closed doors between Haley and Tomlin. Lebeau has been there a long time so he might just be completely ignoring Tomlin. I've said in several threads that Lebeau's system is a pain to learn, but if the players get it, and they are talented enough, it's a killer. The Offense is a wreck, I wasn't a fan of firing BA so, i'll just leave that alone.

9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The QB is arguably the most important player on the team but sometimes the 'elite' tag gets thrown around too much. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl as did Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler. I saw a Namath reference above and that would be a good comparison with Ben now. Later in his career the Jets did not surround Namath with good talent and, combined with his beat up body, he struggled.

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That's another thing that I've been thinking about starting a thread on. Is LeBeau's system too complicated? Why should it take a talented rookie 2 or 3 years to get comfortable enough in his system to start realizing his potential. Why can't DL figure out how to get the most out of his talent rather than forcing a seemingly pro ready player to assimilate. I know this may be controversial, but is DL becoming enamored with reading his own press? DL's defense was a killer, but I'm not sure it is anymore. Opposing offenses don't seem to have too much trouble deciphering it.

11. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yup, and the beating he has taken over the years makes me say he is past his prime. Maybe lot of his issues (getting pounded and having to hold on to the ball to let plays develop and making some bad decisions) comes from the bad line he has had pretty much all of his career. If the Steelers can miraculously put some studs in front of him for an entire season, we may see the true Ben on the field.

12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Belichick had four losing seasons out of five in Cleveland. He's good but even he needs talented players to succeed. If Art Modell had not fired him before the team moved to Baltimore we could be dealing with him twice every year.

13. NM Steelers Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't think it's a matter of deciphering it as much as it is not drafting the right players to run it. Not Lebeau really, but Tomlin and Colbert

14. NM Steelers Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    Was he given free reign like he is with the Pats? It can also be said by his track record with the Pats he learns from his mistakes.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I picked the Steelers to go 9 and 7, with our elite QB winning at least 2 of these games.Oh well, 8 more games to go. If he is so (elite)he should be able to run the table right?

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The teams ill's are not all on Ben for sure, although at times he seems uninspired. I believe that Haley is a bad fit. He needs to go.
    Coach LeBeau. I am on the side of the fence that it is time for him to move on with his life's work. His defense is to complicated and I believe that it has not progressed into todays NFL. Plus he hangs on to vets that are done or close to being done for to long. Bringing back Gay and Foote is one example. The numbers are misleading. Need fresh approach, blow it up. Same as it ever was will not get it done, and the league has his number. As far as Tomlin, the Rooney's history is that the head coach has a lot of rope. Tomlin will be back, but buyer beware, another losing season and the fire will be hotter then a blast furnace. Let's see with major changes how this team responds and how Tomlin handles it.