1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the last time....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mstng1863, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We were not fooled by a faked punt or a faked extra point (turning into a two-point conversion)? It seems like we are never ready for these calls when they are used against us. These things could really hurt us this year, especially against teams that are paying attention to us...

I also get REALLY nervous when we are on-side kicked against whether we know it is coming or not. Even when we all know it is coming, I do not feel confident that we are going to ever recover it.

On another topic do we ever use any of these plays against our opponents? I do not remember when: 1) We faked a punt (Actually, we might have done this once this year, but still I think it has happened against us twice this year.) or 2) Recovered our own on-side kick or 3) Made a two-point conversion regardless whether or not we pretended to kick the extra point?

HOWEVER, our kick coverages this year have been so much better than any of the last five or so years. I love that!

2. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    We're not a team that's used to trickery on punts or extra points. About your questions:
    1) I'm pretty sure Sepulveda threw another pass (to Davenport) about 4 years ago or so. Other than that, can't remember any.
    2) Onside... SB against Dallas?
    3) Two point conversion: last SB, Option to Randle El. When Ward & Randle El were on the team, we used some trickery on 2pt attempts.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think the NFl tries to keep it as straight up as possible....as a CFB fan you see that trickery all the time (hell look at Oregon they go for 2 more than they go for 1) and I love it

4. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, we faked a punt earlier this year, and picked up over 40 yards on it.
    Don`t remember, but I think it was against the Titans.
    I do agree, tho, we seem to be caught off gaurd very easily in those type of situations, and don`t seem to recover onside kicks very well, even when we do know they`re coming.
    I kinda like gadget plays from time to time....
    But we rarely seem to do them right. (Halfback pass in Superbowl 40 being a notable exception ;) ).
    That last thing they did against the Chiefs with the multiple handoffs was a DISASTER!!!