1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the last time...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mdbates2, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    ...the Steelers had 2 starting rookies PERIOD, let alone two starters on one unit? If DeCastro and Adams are what the Steelers (and their draft grades) SAY they are, we might see it this year. Wow! I remember the Emperor Chaz saying that NO rookie should be a starter right out of the gate. Of course - that's AFTER the Steelers started to dominate.

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    It will be interesting...they have the talent for this to happen...and only thing would be...does this finally push Colon inside?

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It will be interesting to watch in camp.

First, they don't have to start either of them this year. IMO, both will go into camp as the #2 on the depth chart.

Second, DeCastro I think will easily win the starting spot at RG.

Third, Adams has the talent to be a LT, but do they start him there, or do they play him on the right side?
    If he wins the starting LT spot, does Gilbert go to RT?
    What happens with Colon if he does?
    Can Colon move to guard? and if he does, can he be a LG?

Adams/Colon/Pouncey/DeCastro/Gilbert is about as good a line talent wise as we have seen here for a LONG time. That line is 22/29/22/22/24 in age. Add that to the youth we have at the skill positions....VERY young but talented offense.

On D we still have some holes to fill, but I am not worried about them. DL usually has them ready to go. We added depth at the ILB spot, and we added out starting NT of the future, but that is about it. Our DLine has a starter at every position under 25.

If I had to guess, next year is a year we focus on adding major talent at the LB, both inside and outside, and S positions.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Am I right in thinking that Gilbert was starting last year because of injuries? I hope his performance (coupled with Pouncey's, obviously) demonstrates that rookies can be quietly solid and reliable starters. At least relative to the rest of our offensive line.

As Tarheel says, I think camp is going to be very interesting this year. Everything I've seen of DeCastro tells me he's going to show up in shape and rearing to go. If Adams does likewise then he'll be proving a lot of doubters wrong. Lets see what Kugler can do with them.