1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When the game is on the line....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Jan 14, 2018.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    There’s a lot I don’t understand about random things like, oh.... I don’t know.... why when you run a toss sweep to the right on 3rd and 2and fail to get a first down making that the short side of the field you think it’s still a good idea on 4th and 1 (maybe the thought process was something like, hey it worked for a yard LAST time, so....) But one thing I’ve never understood is the defensive alignment when the game is on the line and a first down beats you, or in the case of the horribly executed onside kick, any yards gained probably beats you if a field goal is scored. Don’t you sort of have to sell out on defense to make sure that doesn’t happen. You may fail, and they may break through and score a touchdown and guess what? You don’t lose harder. You still lose. That being said, I can’t understand why Mitchell is still playing centerfield when you CAN’T allow yardage. It doesn’t matter if they score. You don’t need to defend the goal line. On the third down before the field goal that put it out of reach we had several people dropping into pass coverage when, at all costs, we needed to defend against the run. If they pass and score, you lose the same way. I’m sure if Mitchell had made a big hit after giving up the game winning first down we’d have been treated to quite a celebration, but in a losing effort. Sometimes I think you need someone with a megaphone on the sideline saying “if they gain 5 yards we lose” to see if that changes the defensive alignment.

Oh well just a random thought, like.... why do you take a timeout on OFFENSE to stop the clock with over 3 minutes to go (you’re in hurry up.... you need those on defense where the opposing team ISNT playing hurry up) why you don’t consider a field goal in the final drive when you need 2 scores (easy answer — so the special teams doesn’t spike themselves going for ANOTHER onside kick), and I think enough has already been said about QB sneaks.... Night all!