1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When does Matt Canada's contract expire?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 9, 2022.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It probably will never work, you're right. Why is the NFL that much faster you wonder? I mean you figure most players came from a college so how do they change? More workouts and training?

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m not triggered at all. I like to deal with facts not whatever mythical bull**** you dream up.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually while most NFL teams have the same size staff as far as HC, OC, DC and position groups the differences pop up with assistants to the positional guys as well as quality control and assistant head coaches where they are given a title like Coach Mitchell when Coach Dunbar was brought in to take over. Mark Kaboly had an article last year I think were he did say that the Steelers have the fewest amount of coaches\QC people of any team in the league. They had beefed it up with like 3 or 4 new hires but were still way below the league average. Which all that means is more hands on for the position coaches and less delegating

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think it comes down to the financial foundation of the Owners, the corporate sponsorship, etc. I'm not saying every majority owner does not have or make money, but some have much more flex spending than others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    tampa had the largest number of those various things. Personally the old adage about too many cooks in the kitchen applies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Who won the Super Bowl last year again? Granted I'm sure coaching had little to do with it, but it helps.

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I assume it is because you have the 1 or 2 best players from a college team in the NFL making up your entire roster in the NFL.

The players are not any faster than they were in college, it is just the fact that you now have 11 All Conference players in your starting lineup every week.

You can't count on your WRs and RBs to be able to make a couple of guy miss to pickup the 1st down, like you could in college. I believe they call it throwing to the sticks? If you need 9 yards to pickup a first down you throw downfield for 9 yards.

It is funny this year as I remember Najee saying something like this during training camp. Saying he doesn't worry about getting the first guy blocked as he can always just make him miss. I think he learned the hard way that this always isn't the case in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This statement is not true. Please don’t make up BS to sell your agenda. Do your homework and get the facts straight.

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Ok what about all the other stuff?

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the context of that statement Jeh highlighted is what's questionable. Now I remember one of the issues surrounding getting PNC Park and Heinz Field built was public money and how much the city, state and so on footed the bill, its also why when they built PPG paints arena there was push back. Heinz Field isn't owned by the Steelers or Pitt Panthers and is operated by the city if I remember correctly. That means any improvements or major changes have to be agreed on by all parties involved. I would hazard a guess that the management company would rather the Rooney's foot the bill, while they think the city should.

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Yeah I retracted this when I realized that jeh was referring to the seating issue and not all my statements as a whole. The local media talks about Steelers low coaching staff a lot though.

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    No doubt. One thing I will say in favor of AR2 is that he has a better grasp of what technology can do for the franchise because when Dan started backing off the day to day operations we saw a website update, mobile app, more staff production for media. So he isn't stuck in the past.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Read what thorn said. We have less coaches performing more duties. Which shocker, saves money! How many years of failed QB development did it take for the team to realize that a real QB coach is needed instead of slob Randy Finchtner who probably did more damage to those QBs potential if anything, Mason Rudolph included? As far as I'm concerned a QB coach should be required of every team. If Butler leaves (please), I guarantee you they won't even bother looking externally because they would get in a bidding war with other teams for DCs.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    That's something I guess. But it's like there's no teeth or less. Cowher would identify coaches he wanted gone from his staff and it happened. There was no well let's wait until the contract is up. No retiring nonsense. And I'm sure some of that is on Tomlin. Go get a higher profile OC or DC instead of this fraternity they seem to be running.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As much of a disaster as Matt Canada has been for the whole season, I seriously doubt the team relinquishes him of his duties after one year. Big Ben's fading abilities did not help matters and the team does not have a reliable plan at QB to begin with. Have to get Matt Canada a QB to fully review him.

17. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    where did this notion that canada's system requires a mobile QB come from ? i watched a few canada college games videos from maryland, pitt, LSU and NC state , and i didnt notice play calling that would required a lamar jackson. what i did notice was his qb's spent time under center and designed roll outs and play action. 3 things we hardly seen this year and things ben dont like to do.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :thumbs_up:

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Kind of answered your own question here.

20. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    As soon as Tomlin’s has the balls to fire his a$$, that’s when his contract ends.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    All this talk of the Rooney being cheap and I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned the duct tape in the weight room.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My friend, most NFL owners are billionaires, The Steelers are worth BILLIONS the Rooney's DO NOT
    have financial problems. They go by their business plan, maybe some of the fans don't like how they spend THEIR money
    but they have been pretty successful for the last 50 years.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    My vote is for Ken Dorsey to be our next OC. If they are going to try and develop a young QB and not just sign a veteran to replace Ben. This would cost a pretty penny as there are many teams out their chasing Dorsey this offseason.

Dorsey has proven that he can develop a young QB at the NFL level, with Carolina and now with Buffalo.

In the last 2 years with Mason I have not seen any improvements in his game under Canada.

24. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    That didn’t list every coach. Ravens for example, have 19. I looked at 10 teams. Staffs ranged from 16 to 23. Steelers were the 16. Yes, I only looked at 1/3 of the league, but if that third the Steelers were lowest.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well for one thing the hash marks are different so when you do roll outs in college you have more room. Another thing is up till now it's a job,and not part of school. Another thing is You are playing against (even the worst players in the NFL) the best if the best. Not 2, or 3 great players a game.