1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When do we become concerned about James Daniels?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe this OL could jeopardize a pretty nice team, with a good group of playmakers on both sides of the ball.
    This should be the highest priority going forward. MT/FO need to fix this and quickly.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    im sure they are and a lot of that probably depends on who these guys are going against and how much during practice. i'm pretty sure we are not seeing cam, ogunjobi, alualu, watt, highsmith going full bore in practice against them just to keep these guys from getting hurt. they may look pretty good against adams, mondauex, wormley, leal, and the davis brothers. in the games they have gone against the starters. kind of a false reading.

they need to make some moves. that should get some attention. right now they seem like they want to give these guys reps to see if they will be cut or not. that is coming up soon. i expect they will bring in a couple of guys. they have too. technique is terrible right now. they are allowing guys to get into their chest and have no leverage on way too many plays. thinking too much about steps and not seeing what the defense is doing. it seems like a combination of many things that i see. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

they have done this for years and have gotten lucky with the results. spend on skill positions, except for DD and pouncey and rode those two horses into retirement. the other 3 were UDFA's that played above the level. it's not like these starters weren't draft picks but they never really got on the field to see what they could do and are now finding out it doesn't always work going cheap on the o-line. when you spend in one place it will bite you in another. remember a first, second and third have been wasted on bush. TE, RB, QB, WR's all 1's and 2's. those are 1 or 2 player positions. the o-line is 5 players. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watching the Chiefs take Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round immediately after we picked Mutch hurt. Humphrey was damn near an all pro his rookie year.

When was the last 1st or 2nd round offensive lineman taken by the Steelers?

IT looks like it was in 2012 when they took All Pro David Decastro. Any questions as to why our Offensive Line sucks knowing that we have not spent a 1st or 2nd round pick in 10 years on the O-Line?

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Usually they draft later in the first round, and all the good first round tackles are gone by then.

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Here is the Cowboys Pick #24 Tyler Smith from this years draft. #73 doing something you don't see Steelers lineman do pushing his man 7 yards downfield on a run block.
    Came out this year as a tackle, but Dallas has him currently playing guard.

I don't buy it. Last year it was Creed Humphrey in the 2nd to replace Pouncey, this year it could have been OT Tyler Smith in the 1st. FYI Tyler Smith was only 20 years old at the combine this year.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  7. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    You do realize your judging these picks using hindsight right? Those picks could have ended up as duds just like any other. I may not like all of the picks the Steelers make but they do so for a reason and they know infinitely more than you or I. Also, if Pickett ends up being our franchise QB for years, will you still be upset they picked him over Tyler Smith?

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dallas reached for Smith in the first round, he wasn't projected to go that early IIRC.

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No No No. Creed Humphrey was everyone sPittsburgh Steelers pick in last years draft for the 2nd round.

Tyler Smith was one of my favorites because the dude was still 20 at the combine and was 6 foot 5 and weighed 324lbs as a sophomore.

I would have easily passed on a 24 year old Picket(Oldest QB in the Draft), to take a 20 year old Tyler Smith(Youngest Lineman in the draft).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  10. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    You use the word "everyone" a lot. So every Steeler fan, all media members, every dude who ever filled out a mock draft and every member of the organization except the few that actually make the pick had Humphrey going to the Steelers?

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yes? Pretty much everyone assumed the Steelers were taking Humphrey, the one and only top rated true center, to replace Pouncey in last year's draft.

12. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Ok, sorry I questioned you. I'm just an ignorant fan.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hey, I don't live in Pittsburgh so maybe you are right that nobody was talking about the Steelers taking Creed Humphrey in last year's draft, but I doubt it.

14. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    It's futile entering into a conversation about who they should have drafted. Does absolutely no good.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    myers system is quite different than what our prior o-line coach taught. which wasn't much. these guys are in their rookie year all over again because of it. it's going to take time. 5 guys have to move as one and if only 3-4 are doing it right then it affects all 5. this is gelling. they are not gelled yet it's obvious. 1st round picks are not a guarantee that they would gel any quicker in this system from where they came if one guy is not in step. it's going to take time. this isn't as cut and dry as many think. the coaching carousel has come to bite us at that position. back to square one and erase what our last couple of coaches did. chuks okrafor alone has had 4 o-line coaches since coming here. cole has had at least 3. daniels at least 2. moore and green 3. it's no wonder there is confusion. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    They stink, most of them have been playing football for many years, They can do better, they must do better. This is why I like
    mean OL that want to rip your head off. As the emperor use to say football is not a complicated game, you block and tackle. Can you beat the man across from you?

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that is all klemm taught last year. be aggressive. how did that work out for us? myers system is technical. x 5 guys. not an overnight thing. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac you have been around football a long time. You know what I am talking about. If our guys are not technical players why teach them that? Get back to basics and hit someone. Coach to a players talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

he has to unteach them first and then teach them his system. even munch didn't have great success his first year here. the steelers screwed this up with the coaching carousel to start with. let this guy get them together on one page. there will be growing pains that should payoff if they do. klemm should have never been given the job last year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree about Klemm and others. Should have never been hired. Are first mistake. Can't afford mistakes like this.

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    That’s something I will never understand about this organization. With all the success, the rich history here, and the massive overall budget and revenue of the team, what difference does maybe $50k-$100k more in coaching salaries make? Hire great coaches too, not just great players.

• Like Like x 1