1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When do we become concerned about James Daniels?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Man I hope your right!

• Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    pre season is needed for this group. new starters need time to learn the player next to them and how to work together. the more game film the better before the season starts. not one guy has a guy next to him that played there last year. or he even played next to before. i'm not so sure it's about the individual player as much as the group learning together with the guy next to them. it should improve by game. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    For all the people that said our Offensive Line couldn't get any worse than last year... You were wrong!

Those first 2 series when the Steelers starters went against Jacsonville starters was the worst O-Line play I can remember ever seeing a Steelers team play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    This group just looks flat out terrible. I have no idea what they can do with 2 weeks left before the season starts but if this keeps up my prediction of 6 wins might be very generous.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think this is more than just a concern. This is a red flag... sos... type of situation. Canada is going to need to do a ton of off-balanced stuff, shifts, blocking TEs/H-Backs and tons of misdirection to keep defense off-balanced. Otherwise, defenses are just going to T-off on everything. This OL looks even worse than last year... somehow, and totally needs camouflaged or this is going to be a long season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah, the line was pretty bad tonight. No doubt. :facepalm:

I am not going to give up on them yet. Maybe they can turn it around. But the Steelers may need to bring in some additional help from outside. Maybe a vet gets cut that can come in and be serviceable for a year. Green and Moore were especially bad last night.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    James Danials was brought in to solidify the right guard position. I was good with the signing. He has been a disappointment so far.

Kendrick Green is looking like how he ended last season. Getting pushed around over and over. He is not the answer at left guard.

Dan Moore. I had high hopes he would take a bigger step forward. Seems his improving play left the station last season. Hope he gets his mojo back.

Mason Cole seemed to hold his own. Nothing spectacular.

Chuks. Didn't hear any negatives.

This O Line is going to be a thorn in the side for this offense from what has been seen so far. Its only pre season but the eye test is damning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    As the Emperor would say, we are going back to the basics, And would
    put the fear of God in this unit.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This is how I’ve been seeing it so far as well, Chuks and Cole are passable, all three other positions are a huge worry. Moore and Green are getting manhandled all the time. Daniels has been a disappointment so far but we know he can play, hopefully he turns it around.

They have some money but there really isn’t anybody out there at this stage that can make a significant difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    moore is just in the beginning of his second year, as is green. they are teamed together on one side. dotson even if put in for green doesn't even have greens amount of play time. sitting him completely last year may have been a huge mistake. doing that gained him very little. i did see leglue playing some LT last night later in the game. they are moving him around a good bit. i do expect he will be a main backup for game day. that part is good. as i said earlier in the week, cole can play guard too. not sure they are up for shuffling players around at this point but with one game to go and 3 weeks before they count, now would be the time to look. :cool:

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Our Ts just flat out suck. Green showing that maybe G isn't a good position for him either. We all know from last year that C ain't it.

Been saying this since last season ended that they need to draft a T or a C in the first round. Instead, they spent zero draft capital and signed 2 mid tier FAs in a feeble attempt to shore up one of the worst OLs in the league. That is just stupid and shows how inept this FO is regarding OL. The Chiefs showed the steelers the blueprint going from one of the worst to one of the best OLs in the league in one off season. But they are just too stupid, too stubborn, or too cheap to do what needs to be done. At this point, it isn't a rebuild, shoring up, or even tweaking the OL. They need to blow it up, sh!tcan the whole bunch and start over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I wouldn't be opposed to this. Move Cole out to guard.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How many times are you going to use that Chiefs example? They gave up a bunch of picks to get Orlando, and spent big money in free agency to get Thuney, who was left in the first round this year to draft at Tackle?

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Moore played decent last season, but he has struggled so far in these two preseason games, he needs to figure it out because they don't have many alternatives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    No sh!t Einstein. And it has paid off. Which is exactly what the Steelers should have done. The crap the steelers have done with the OL over the past 4-5 years has not worked. So instead of of beeyotching about me calling out something that worked, try offering up another idea instead of your usual posting of tweets from numbnuts on the internet.

You can disagree with it all you want, which only shows how ignorant you are. The proof is in the results.

Edit: reading some of your latest replies, it appears you agree with me that it is less about coaching and more that they lack talent. They need stronger and quicker guys on the OL. So, how do they get that? They need to draft better talent in early rounds and sign top tier proven FAs. They have done neither. I blame it on the FO for trying to put a bandaid on a gaping wound that needs 18 stitches and thinking it will be fine. It won't be fine until the commit to using 1st round draft picks on the OL and signing legit top tier starting FAs.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nah, they need more talent on the OL, they can find another ILB in the mid rounds.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

He might be damaged goods at this point, he rarely practiced with the Browns because of injuries.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Did the Steelers have the cap space the last two years to sign a player like Thuney, and they weren't going to give up all those picks like the Chiefs did to get Orlando. When they drafted Najee all the projected first round tackles were gone :shrug:. They should have done more to address the OL in the past, they spent too many second round picks on receivers, JuJu, Washington, Claypool, and now Pickens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Wrong. And they could have drafted Creed Humphrey who was a legit C day one starter in 2021. But they went with green instead trying to force a peg in a round hole. They could have drafted Linderbaum this year but instead didn't use any draft picks on OL. The OL has been the highest need for this team the past 2 years IMO and they have failed to recognize the need. They had the capital in the draft and cap but didn't use it where they should have. I understand that is debatable but until they address it, it doesn't matter how great your RB, TE, WR and QB are if you don't have the talent on the OL.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Linderbaum is another small center like Green, and he was injured at the end of the season didn't work out at his pro day. A lot of people wanted Creed in the second round over Freiermuth, I'm okay with the pick of Muth though he's a stud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    In fairness to the FO any Tackle worth drafting was gone when they picked in the past two drafts, as they generally are most years. Analysts were saying they should have drafted Jenkins in 2021 instead of Najee but I dont think he has played a single down for the Bears and he is injured again now. Legit tackles generally go in the top 15 so they just haven’t been within reach of one in recent years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac I believe all practices are on tape. are they not looking at this tape from practices??? Where is the OL coach?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    For me, it's interesting to see how much of a difference Creed Humprey would've made with our current lineup. Daniels would be on the left side, Cole would be on the right side. I think Daniels would be chipping many of the players that Green has missed, which directly led to sacks/pressures given up by Moore. Ramone Foster on his show indicated this much on his show, this morning/last night. I tend to think the current issues with Daniels is that he's playing on the wrong side; or at worst, he should be the center. For the past month, many former OL/DL been talking about how much of a real deal Dan Moore is. I tend to want to agree with them and blame Green for Moore's faults. But at the same time, he still has to look better himself. The worst part about all of this is that despite how much we criticize Chux, he's looking the best right now. I said it in another thread, or earlier in this one; I don't care what it takes, the Steelers need to get IOL help yesterday. And this help cannot be some UDA that was on the Eagles last week. Steelers need an anchor with All Pro credentials or All Pro potential, whether it's a guard or center. Considering that Daniels and Cole can either be G or C, makes finding a G or C that much easier. I prefer trading for a RG and sliding Daniels to LG. That alone would greatly improve this line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1