1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheaton's last year as a Steeler?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HawkeyeJames, Oct 26, 2016.

1. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With the emergence of Cobi Hamilton, Eli Rogers and Sammi Coates is this Wheaton's final year as a Steeler? I am wondering because he had a great opportunity to work himself into a big contract elsewhere but was injured and possibly missed that boat. Do the Steelers re-sign him for a decent deal or do the Steelers cut bait with him at the end of the year since Bryant will be coming back next year? A good problem to have I guess. Too bad they couldn't trade him for another asset like a draft pick rather than let him walk as a free agent at the end of the season, if they do decide to let him go. Interested to see what you guys think. I can make arguments both ways on it.

2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    wheaton is gone..... aside from not being able to stay healthy, he has never truly developed a consistent rapport with ben... that seahawks game last yrs. was the exception and not the rule, and with bryant coming back and coates continued development, there is no room for him... i'll take the comp pick in 2018

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    First - I don't believe Bryant will be able to clean up his act, especially sitting out a whole season with nothing but time and his neurosis eating away at him. I still don't trust Bell to clear this hurdle either - each with 2 years running of inability to refrain from this non-addictive refreshment. I'd love to be eating a big dose of crow sprinkled with humble pie next year at this time. I'd love to be able to say I judged wrongly.

Wheaton and Coates seem to be equals talent-wise, health-wise and inconsistency-wise. So the choice becomes simple economics in the salary cap NFL (the Cubs, Dodgers, Yanks or Sox wouldn't have this dilemma - just keep stacking the talent till the cupboard's full - no matter the cost.) The other WR options will continue to be fluid with plenty o' young money to be found left and right as long as BB is still upright and serviceable. You asked. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Wheaton can take a hike for all I care. Nothing personal but he just has no chemistry with Ben.

5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I agree with the sentiment here. I was pretty impressed with Wheaton at one point, but I just don't see him really adding anything to the team moving forward anymore. Like BFT said, nothing personal, I just don't see him fitting in.

6. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    If Bryant comes back, we have 5 WR who are better than/have more upside than Wheaton - AB, MB, Coates, Hamilton, and Eli. Plus he's always hurt. Don't see any way he comes back.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would imagine he is gone. I don't think I agree he and Coates are equal though. I think there is a pretty sizable gap between he and Coates with Coates have an additional higher ceiling. (just to be clear I think Coates is the better receiver and it isn't that close)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I didn't think Wheaton would have a big role at all this season, I don't think he is really all that good , I wished we would have traded him for a draft pick...

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see them offering him a contract. Even if they didn't already have others ready to step in, finding WR's is something they are very good at.

Sanders is better and they let him go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Coates is growing up fast. The broken hand is a setback, but he'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I also think he doesn't want to see the field since he'll get paid next year and don't want to have any injury carry on. IMO.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't have much faith that Bryant will leave the weeeeeeed (steven A) alone. He gets caught again, he will be gone for life. Bell too if he don't straighten up and fly right.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    To me, no.

I had stated Wheatons days after the 2015 draft. Sammie Coates marked the beginning of the end for Wheaton.

Like patrol stated, I will take the comp pick in 2018.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think coach mann has had alot to do with the high success rate of this group. thats not to say they are not talented but he's refined it greatly. :cool:

15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He gone. He doesn't do anything well anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    He'll be gone next year and I don't think he will be missed.

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I've always been a Wheaton supporter but I must admit he does not seem to be on the same page with Ben and that is disconcerting. It may be best for the Steelers to move on next year. I like Rogers and Hamilton, so they have guys coming up to take his spot. Although I don't like Coates, I agree it may be Wheaton's last year here.

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If everyone is healthy and there next year our weapons would be Ben, Brown, Bell, Bryant, Green- Coates, rogers, and Hamilton. Also maybe James so yeah bye Wharton

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    For those of you wanting to get rid of Wheaton, I just saw reports that the Bucs are looking for a vet WR and are looking to deal CB Banks or Alteraun Verner. per the reliable twitter source, think it was LaCanfora

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with all of this.

I think Wheaton offers more than people give him credit for, whilst tending to see more potential in Coates (and thus forgive the mistakes he makes more than they do Wheaton's). At the same time, there's only one way Wheaton can counter those criticisms - and that's be on the field making plays. Which so far, he hasn't done. So economics kicks in.

I don't know about Bryant, but I do know we've missed him a lot this season already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess I am one of the few that isn't a big Bryant supporter. For me it doesn't even come down to talent. I think he is a good receiver but not great. I think he has too much baggage and I feel we have others on the team that make up for his loss. I don't really miss the guy. I didn't miss Holmes when he got the boot and I thought he was a much better receiver.

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Wheaton is gone. The rise of Eli was a pure signal to that.

Thing is I like Wheaton. I think he is at a point I his career he understands the rte tree much better and he has a decent skill set. Injuries have just derailed him too much and with the WR depth we have his opportunity here is fading fast.

If we hope to get a decent comp pick at the least for him he needs to return and have some really good games to attract attention from other teams in FA. I wouldn't be opposed to him returning on a minimal short contract for depth purposes.

Bryant... Call me an optimist but I think he'll return and stay. Weed isn't addictive like crack, it's more of a lifestyle choice and I think he is waking up. He is currently coaching on a H.S. Teams staff working with kids and he's completed counseling. His life's story final chapters have not been written yet.

Cajun

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    One of the greatest words in the human language is REDEMPTION! I hope Bryant takes advantage of his second chance.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This thread will be a top can date for necroposting come the off season. Everyone is saying he is gone, let him walk, he is nothing special, they can find someone else. before you know it though, Bryant suspended indefinitely because of failing another test, AB in contract dispute, Wheaton gone via free agency and Coates nursing a nagging injury the current depth a questionable Eli Rogers and perhaps DHB. Then it will be hand wringing, and complaining, front office blaming, wasting draft picks on what once was the deepest core of WR'S in the league.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1