1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheaton?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 26, 2016.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I was pretty drunk but from what I saw/remember. He dropped a touchdown then a few others that hit him right in the hands. His dropped touchdown definitely hurt and could have changed the outcome of the game. I'm sure glad he's back.

Also, Ben throwing high? He's done this a couple times in the past where he constantly throws high all game. They usually lose when he does. Has he ever commented on it? Is it nerves or when he's not comfortable with the o-line or what he's seeing from the defense? What is it?

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He had 3 drops on 5 targets ...He had the same type of drop ratio in camp...He needs to be benched...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wheaton should be benched after that performance. Coates, DHB and Rogers can perform better than that. Hell... Ayers and Hamilton from the practice squad would be upgrades.

4. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Time to take out the trash, the guy is useless.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm as annoyed as the next person, but let's get some perspective. Wheaton was rusty and played bad... So where was Coates? Breaking open on every play...? DHB stretching the field...? Rogers catching the quick slants...?

Bad effort all round, Wheaton a prominent bad performer but not alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Missed most of camp and preseason. I'll cut him some slack.

He never emerged to be the player I thought he would be when we drafted him though. I think he will be gone after this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wheaton really disappointed me. I thought he would be the X factor instead of the Ex out factor

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you on favor of benching Ben for that performance yesterday as well?

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If we are really getting mad at Wheaton... then get mad at Coates and Rodgers.

Much like Thigpen stated. Bad effort. When you do play undisciplined, you shall receive unwarranted results.

Case in point? Getting pulverized.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The TE was open a lot and Ben kept missing him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    as was DWill at times too. Seems like the Eagles were willing to die the death of a thousand small cuts but we were unwilling to play that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Usually when a QB throws high it is because they are throwing off their back foot and not transitioning their weight to their front foot. Happens when they are not planting their feet sufficiently because they are pressured or feel pressured. BB is known for throwing well under duress, so I am not sure this would apply to him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I used to think Markus Wheaton was a lot like Emmanuel Sanders, in the sense that he was a quick and talented wide receiver who had fewer opportunities because of other playmakers.

Nope, Markus Wheaton isn't Emmanuel Sanders. Not at f*cking all

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ben's thrown high off and on his whole career... Granted, he's had to improv a lot throughout his career as well. He hits and misses and we seem to embellish the misses a lot all of a sudden. He's always had these moments especially when no one will help him and he mind F's himself and presses too much. Nothing the last 2 games is jaw dropping. They'll get it fixed and give us more cardiac moments as they have ever since I can remember and hopefully hit stride when it counts.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  15. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I see what you're saying, had high hopes for him too. But even sanders wasn't sanders here so there's that. I'm sure Wheaton will catch on elsewhere and do pretty well for himself and we'll see and say the same for the next guy.

Wheaton had great moments last year seemed to be putting it together... He's been awol due to injury let him settle in he might still be a factor yet this season.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Bryant is so much better than Wheaton which makes me sick that he chooses to be a dope head than a player.

If Wheaton catches that TD then the whole game would have been a different story IMO. That drop and the subsequent blocked FG completed deflated the team all around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I think it could've carried us for a bit... Only if that dropped t.d. Wouldve deflated philly any if at all. Them boys played above their heads, physically, mentally, spiritually etc... They were inspired. A team on a high note is hard to beat... Kind of like when we had a rookie who started getting a teams belief in him although we had a D back then lol. Philly is on a high... Makes them dangerous especially in their own house.

If our boys would've shown up half as motivated as they were, we would've pulled out a win ugly as it probably would've been. Nobody showed up. Had a case of the Mondays a day early or whatever.

What pisses me off in these types of games THAT WEVE ALL WITNESSED FOR A WHILE NOW, is the fact that with all this supposed leadership coaches to players on down and supposed heart they all have... How come the inspiration never surfaces from a simple ass chewing or to a complete adjustment at the half???
    Sure, weve seen them do it, but damn it's gotten more than old hat to say the least.

Just a bad day at the office, but I'd love to see folks get their act together somehow when things start to unravel. I saw nothing yesterday other than a packing it in performance and a coaching staff that refuses to sit their dummies when all your left with is health preservation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Wheaton should not be starting over Coates and I don't know why he was targeted so much in the first place in the game yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Give Wheaton some time. If he hasn't improved by the New England game, then it's time to make moves. I say he looks much better Sunday night.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I respect your opinion but if you are trying to say this team is so mentally weak that a dropped TD pass in the opening drive caused them to crumble in epic proportions then I have to disagree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Wheaton has never been all that worthwhile. I have faith in Coates. I so love Bryant; man that pisses me off.

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yea, that's a bold prediction that I'm making.

The way I envision it though is Ben made one heck of a scramble on that play ala his old style. Nearly sacked with the pocket collapsing around him. Steps out of it. Runs to the LOS and almost across it, then back pedals and finds the open player in the end zone which the ball hits him between the 1 and the 1 right in his chest with the defensive guy closing fast. He catches that and its a huge play. 7-0. Instead Bos comes in and their ST's blocks a Field goal. A HUGE momentum shift. The team really looked out of sync after that.

Would it have made the defense play better? I doubt it cause I think Butler is not going to blitz hardly anyone and play zone all year but I also believe our offense may have stepped up to matching any points they put up.

If, ands, or buts don't make any difference of coarse but nobody played well after that except for our punter.

I really would like to see halftime adjustments though but judging on past history under Tomlin, I can probably erase that thought all together.

23. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Why wasn't Wheaton slowly worked back into the line up and playing time? Thrusting a rusty Wheaton into that role is a poor management decision imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wheaton, did not eat his Wheaties!!!:facepalm:

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wheaton was a colossal disappointment on Sunday to say the least. He pretty much set the tone for the entire team after that dropped TD pass. He single-handedly took the life out of the Steelers. I hope he can redeem himself. I was really hoping he would step up and give us some awesome performances this year... like he did in Seattle last year. It's a contract year for him. The time to produce is NOW.

• Agree Agree x 1