1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheaton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Thigpen82, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've often noticed around here that some people are always using Wheaton's name in trade discussions, and others talking about how he's superfluous, and others that he hasn't panned out.

I've always been inclined to disagree, as he's shown some good flashes, and much of his lack of production seemed to be down to not reading Ben's mind (in the way that AB and Heath can do), or not getting thrown to.

BUT

Now I'm beginning to waver a bit. It seems he is often in the wrong place, not reading the play well or simply off with his timing.

So where are people's views on Wheaton now? Is he someone we want to keep around? Would Coates be a better long-term project? For those who watch the coaches film, am I being unfair about his performances?

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I'm also getting more and more disappointed in Wheaton. So many plays rely on the WR and QB reading the same coverage, and he often misreads. I'm not at the point of wanting to trade him in the offseason, but a few more like yesterday could get me there.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I suppose the question for me is still there about whether its a case of reps in practice, or more about football smarts. The physical skills certainly all seem to be there - although I noticed that DHB was in a lot more yesterday, presumably because he's considered a better blocker. Which, again, is a negative mark against Wheaton, as I thought his blocking was meant to be quite good.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think the best we could ask for is him being a #3 and with that said he has no trade value. Between him and DHB there are a lot of drops out there and I am all in favor on seeing what Coates can do, isn't this about the time of year Bryant came on strong?????

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Wheaton has good hands and speed. Potential t be a real solid slit corner. Problem he is having is rte running. He'll round off a cut instead of planting and cutting sharply or he'll "drift" instead of stopping completely... A slot corner has a more "Full" rte tree at his disposal so these things are a must. I think he'll get as we have the best rte running WR in the NFL to model after and a real good WR Coach.......

I'll give him one more year to refine it.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Wheaton can be good, but I don't think it will be in Pittsburgh.
    He is clearly not as good as Brown or Bryant.
    I think he is a good #3. But, I think he could be more than that, but I don't see it happening here.
    Sammie Coates with be up next year. I think this is Wheaton's last year with us.

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't liked Wheaton for probably a year and a half now. He just doesn't seem that he's ever on the same page as Ben. Maybe he's a guy who has some shaken confidence, I don't know. To me he's pretty much a non factor, which didn't use to be the case.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wheaton is serviceable. I'm curious what happens.

You either pay both AB and Martavis leaving little for other receivers, or you let Martavis walk and keep Wheaton around.

Maybe Wheaton just doesn't fit in with Ben, just look a Emanuel Sanders... He has skill and should have had bigger numbers here, but goes to Denver and thrives.

9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Like others above have said, my problem with him is that it does seem he rounds off routes instead of running them crisply and it sure looks like he misreads the coverage on option routes an awful lot. Of course I am basing that last part off the assumption that Ben is reading it correctly.

10. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    He had too many drops in the Raiders game including a touchdown. I know it wasn't an easy catch but he should have had it. I still like him and hope he works out but I an really hoping Coates works out for us.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't have much hope for Coates. He is just like Martavis and Wallace before him... straight down the field guy... Doesn't run all the routes. Martavis is at least a little more dynamic with his size and speed.

I'd rather have another possession receiver or TE threat.

12. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    We do need to invest a high draft pick on a TE for sure if the talent is there. I don't want to reach. That and CB seem to me to be big needs

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is a fair WR . I don't think he will ever be great ..I think we needed to trade him for a DB this year ,DHB and Coates can fill his role on this Team..

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I put Wheaton in the Emmanuel Sanders category. Good but just not for us. Him and Ben just do not seem to be able to get on the same page. Also I think with having Bryant and AB it makes him much more expendable. Nothing against him but I just don't have a lot of patience left for him. I know he broke his finger at one point but it's time to start making catches, running routes, and not having penalties. I really don't even know how confident Ben is in him because at the first of the year Ben was asked if he thought this would be Wheaton's breakout year and he said that actually he thought it would be DHB's breakout year. So yeah I say Wheaton can go and we will be none the worse for it in the long run. We're not receiver hungry anyway.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Wheaton will be here past his first contract. I had high hopes for him coming out but at this point, I dont think hes even as good as Sanders when he was here.

Steelers don't have trouble finding receivers and with AB and Bryant here like you said, plus Coates still developing, I think Wheaton will play out his contract and find work elsewhere.

16. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I still think a lot of Wheaton's problem is the inability/unwilling-ness of the Steelers to really develop a precise/sharp short passing game ala the way the Patriots, Broncos, etc. have done it over the years. Yes - there is no doubt under Haley that a shorter passing game when pressure comes has been emphasized but often times those are quick outs to AB or a pop pass to Heath or a check down to Bell. Ben really doesn't throw those crossing routes that well where you hit the guy right in stride 5-10 yards out where the receiver is not facing you but is more to the side with the ability to get YAC.

So even if Wheaton goes I really do not see anyone filling that role that well for the Steelers because they do not really emphasize the slot. Even Wheaton's best games last year were when he was more in a #2 role catching longer passes, but Bryant has supplanted him for that role. Look at Lance Moore last year - that guy is the perfect example of a slot receiver - and he did squat with the Steelers even as a mediocre slot receiver for the Lions he already has 8 more catches this year compared to his whole time in Pittsburgh. I honestly think if the Steelers had Julian Edelman they wouldn't know how to use him...it's just not their MO and certainly not the way Ben rolls.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with you I think Wheaton needs to be in more of a timing based passing game. When he doesn't get the ball thrown to him where the route was designed he doesn't have the same ability and or the same instincts to find the open spot,that's why him and Ben are never on the same page. I believe his strength is slants and crossing patterns, something we don't seem to run enough of. I believe in his talent but it just might never prosper here.

18. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    In training camp, Wheaton was looking unstoppable in the slot. Bryant was being talked abuot as being possibly better than Brown. Obviously those predictions did not pan out in real games, however it is worth noting that the team is not using Wheaton in the slot where he was showing tremendous promise.

The first 5 games he was the second WR because Bryant was suspended and did not play in the 5th game. Through 9 games, Wheaton has 30 targets. Bryant has 32 through 4 games.

I can only really remember one fly route pass to Wheaton, and he ran a beautiful route and had the 72 yard TD. I am not sure why we don't do more of that with him.

Depending on how much money Wheaton is offered, I think he should be kept after his rookie contract. If it worth having a good 3rd WR.

As for the drops and timing mishaps, Bryant has had just as many if not more in limited playing times this year, yet nobody is willing to call him out on it. In fact, everyone seems to forget that he has a substance abuse problem where he has tested positive multiple times. One more positive test and he is gone for 10 games, and then a year. It is extremely risky having Bryant as well as Brown, who I presume we will keep on a very very fat contract.

It all comes down to how much money Wheaton is offered by teams like the Patriots (who would utilize him correctly). If we can keep him for around 2-3 million a year, it he is worth keeping. If we loose Bryant to another suspension or if we decide not to give Brown a fat Calvin Johnson contract, then we should be willing to spend more on Wheaton. If Coats developes into an adequate replacement, then Wheaton can/will/should walk.

I am really worried though that we are going to tie too much money up into Brown, where we won't be able to afford Bryant either (assuming Bryant gets it together and doesn't smoke weed). If that does in fact happen, then we would be stuck with a lineup of Brown/Coats/DBH(maybe) and whoever they draft or sign. Is that better than Bryant/Wheaton/Coats/DBH? I think the second option would be my choice, but who knows.

Having crappy QBs like Vick and Jones doesn't help make the WRs look good, even Brown, so I would hardly write off Wheaton as a bust or not worth keeping.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Did anyone not think yesterday that Wheaton should have been able to catch up to Charles Woodson and block him so AB could go all the way to the endzone? I know Woodson had a bit of an angle and a step but dude is like almost 40 and Wheaton is still just a kid. I just thought that showed that he didn't really even have good speed.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure .it looked like Wheaton had too much catching up to do,he did gain some ground but Woodson must of found the fountain of youth because he kinda ran AB down too even though he did have the benefit of a angle. Woodson is a warrior....

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah honestly Woodson is maybe my favorite non Steeler in the league. I love that dude and wish we could have gotten him when he was available. His leadership alone would be an asset.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he will play out his contract like Sanders did and leave as a free agent, by then Coates should be ready to contribute.

23. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Most of Sanders problems were with his injuries to his feet.

Only healthy one year

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree that he is probably a good number 3.. But in all reality in our offense he is more like option 5. With Ben's uncanny connection with AB and Marty's deep threat and YAC ability, along with Bell's ability to catch out of the backfield or split out wide and the ageless Heath, when is he going to get any looks? How will he develop a rhythm with Ben during the game?

It seems like in order to get in rhythm he needs more targets, and there just aren't enough to go around.

I think he will be here again next season though. It will be his 4th right? I don't think this year is his contract year. Plus he's the only true "slot receiver" we have on the team. DHB and Coates are outside receivers.

25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe it boils down to opportunities and who's playing QB for Wheaton. Give Wheaton more opportunities and he will more than likely flourish.

Just like Wallace, the Steelers will probably never pay Brown the kind of money he believes he's worth.