1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your top 5 wish list (for rd 1)?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 7, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    1. David DeCastro - OG - Stanford
    I've heard a couple of analysts say he's the best OL prospect since Maurkice Pouncey, which is kinda crazy since Matt Kalil is considered a stud LT. Some are saying DeCastro is better, he just doesn't play as premium a position. DeCastro would step into either guard spot from day 1, and we'd think Alan Faneca was back. OG's are a position with a low bust rate and with this guy lined up next to Pouncey we'd be one step closer to having a really elite OL. If he drops into the low teens Tomlin/Colbert need to get on the phone to make a deal.

2. Jonathan Martin - OT - Stanford
    Man, I'm all Stanford this year I guess. I see Martin as the best OT that has any chance of us trading up for (though it's slim). Kalil and Reiff will go in the top 8 picks. Some think we don't need an OT this early, we just need depth. Though I don't think Colon is ever moving, if it this pick I think our starting OL next season is Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-Colon-Martin. Again, I don't really see this happening.

3. Luke Kuechly - ILB - Boston College
    Kuechly totally seems like a Steelers guy to me. He's very intelligent, amazingly sound tacklers, and takes great angles. He'd be calling the plays for us in a year. He lacks in the measurables department, so I'm hoping he has a terrible combine because he makes up for his lack of speed by diagnosing a play early and taking great angles. I think he goes to either Arizona at 13 or Philly at 15.

4. Dre Kirkpatrick - CB - Alabama
    I'm a little torn on this one because of the pot arrest. The charges were dropped but it sounds like his buddy took the fall for him. Kirkpatrick will probably go to the Bengals, and I don't see CB as a huge need with some of the young guys on the roster but I think Kirkpatrick is a top 10 talent, and worth taking a chance on. I doubt the Steelers feel the same though.

5. Dont'a Hightower - ILB - Alabama
    I see this as a safe pick, that would fill a need and likely be the BPA. I see this as pretty likely to happen too. ILB is sometimes a position that can fall further than expected. I like that Saban runs a defense similar to ours and against good, SEC competition.

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I agree with all of your top five, although Dontair Poe has to be in the mix somewhere. And Burflict, depending on how he checks out with the team.
    One thing that I read somewhere about Kirkpatrick was his ability to play safety on the next level. Seen him rated on sights as the top safety in the draft, above Barron He's 6'3, room to put on some pounds, good speed, agressive tackler, and definately one of the top cover men in the draft. He might be that safety who can come in and be the next Troy.
    I get the feeling that there'd have to be more red flags than just one pot arrest to make him fall to 24. But just to put it out there.

3. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Agreed, there's lots of others that I like, but I thought might as well post my high hopes. I don't see any of the top 4 being there at 24.

I like Burfict a lot and I think either him or Hightower will be there, which is nice. I like Poe's upside but his motor scares me a bit (that's the case with most NT's though).

One pot arrest isn't a big deal but it shows a severe lack of intelligence given that he knows he's going to be under the microscope soon.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good post, good list. I read today a mock that had us getting Martin at #24. Then again, the same magazine had an article about how amazing Al Michaels and Phil Simms are...

If we do get Martin or another OT in round 1, then either Colon or Gilbert has to move to guard. It could be either.

My list...

1. DeCastro (will trade up)
    2. Martin (will trade up)
    3-5. Undecided... the top 3 ILBs all in the mix, as well as KirkPatrick. Konz is conceivable. I'm leaning away from Glenn and Poe, but that could change.

5. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    1.Decastro
    2.Adams
    3.Poe
    4.Burfict
    5.Kirkpatrick

6. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    You bringing up Konz is interesting. Nobody has mentioned him as a guard, because he is such a good center... In a way it seems like a waste of his extra talent... but I wouldn't care to stick him at guard.

It'd be nice to have someone that could move over when Pouncey is out too. And from what I hear Birk might retire and Baltimore wants Konz BAD... which is a huge ++++++

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Actually, I'd keep him at center and move Pouncey to LG :roflmao: Just kidding.

That pick is obviously contingent on the idea that he is capable and willing to make the move to guard. Even if he is, #24 is very high to be taking an OG that isn't even an OG. If we were at #31 like last year, I wouldn't mind it so much. But we figure to have real options this year, possibly many of them, which we don't usually have, so I don't really see this pick happening.

However, what I like about him is that he seems safe. He's a brainy guy with the appropriate size and technique. I want a safe, talented starter for the OL. If we land a boom/bust guy like Glenn, we might get nothing. So that's the appeal.

GB_Steel and I talked about him in another thread somewhere. He knows more about him.

8. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not a fan of Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams... both seem streaky to me.

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Trying to keep this realistic:

1) DeCastro - Not really realistic but like everyone else here he's my top pick.
    2) Konz - We'll miss out on DeCastro and PK isn't a bad consolation prize.
    3) Fleener - Nice talent at TE who emerged as a downfield threat.
    4) Jenkins - Off-field issues will scare some away, but he's a top-10 talent.
    5) Barron - Groom behind either of our starting safeties to replace the first that leaves.

I'd like to put Cordy Glenn in this list but something about 350# guards in the first worries me. I'd like to focus on the offense with our first pick, but don't want to force anything if all the top dogs are off the board (hence the Jenkins/Barron picks). Unless Kuechler falls I think we pass on ILB in the first. There's got to be a less heralded prospect out there just as good as Hightower that we can pick up beyond the 2nd.

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If we get Martin at #24 I'll :bscow: a :frustrated: ! Would love either him or Reiff but I don't think we have a shot at either. Who knows, crazy things ALWAYS happen draft day.

11. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    True... but OT is NEVER a position you see fall. QB, RB, LB... In fact the crazy stuff that happens is usually someone reaching big time for an OL or DL

Off the top of my head I can remember the Bills taking John McCargo in or near the top 10, Jaguars taking Tyson Alualu in the top 10. The Seahawks taking James Carpenter in the mid-20's when he was considered a mid 2nd rounder.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    decastro
    martin
    kueckly
    konz
    zach brown

13. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kuechly-Martin-Barron-Poe-DeCastro

14. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    J Martin
    M Adams
    Decastro
    Konz
    Glenn

Just get me 2 good OL guys in this draft that can make this team, but 1 has to start pretty quickly

15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    DeCastro
    Martin
    Keuchly
    Hightower
    Poe
    Barron

I know its six, but thats the order that I would prefer them in. Kirkpatrick between Hightower and Poe if he falls.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i think there is a chance kueckly will be available at 24