1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the hardest hit you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Feb 17, 2012.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It wasn't one of the most spectacular hits, but I remember Donnie "The Torpedo" Shell drilling Earl Campbell in the ribs in a late 70s game, cracking about 3 of his ribs sending Campbell to the sidelines. Perfectly clean yet a devastating hit. People like to talk about Lott and Tatum, but Shell was one of the hardest hitting safeties I've ever seen.

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This is one of my all time favorite highlights... Love seeing a physical runner on offense... It's too bad we could never steal this guy from Jacksonville.

[youtube:33x329nr]7wbO3ZOQMbQ[/youtube:33x329nr]

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I loved Shell and Blount too but, Tatum was a dirty player (IMO) and hit hard AND dirty, Lott? Anyone who has his own finger cut off so he can play is a special kind of tough!

4. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Gary Jones hit on Monday Night Football against Don Beebe was a monster hit... The Coryatt post made me think of Jones who also went to A & M

5. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    That hit on Earl Campbell by Shell was absolutely brutal and essentially ended Campbell's career. I believe he tried to comeback for anothher season or 2 but he was never the same player again.

Kieth Rivers so far is going that route after the Hines Hit. He was a monster of a player before that hit now he plays like a little chihuahua.

6. Colssteel

Colssteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was trying to remember who that was! I wanted to list that one, too, but could not remember which safety it was. I was thinking, Darren Perry, but it didn't seem correct. Thanks!

Good call! :thumbs_up:

7. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    had to be Ryan clark on Mcghee a few years ago.

9. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    A friend of mine's little finger started curling. Messed with his golf swing. He had them cut the little finger off. Not for money just cause it messed with his swing. I don't mess with that guy

10. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i'm really surprised the hit mike tomczak took against detroit on opening day around '98(?) hasn't been mentioned yet. that was brutal.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
  12. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I remember Mike Tomscak getting hit in a game a while back?I don't remember who the Steelers were playing,But Mike got blasted.

13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That was pretty cool. I'd never seen that before. This is officially off-topic, because it's not a hit but a broken tackle, but it's one of my favorite broken tackles ever. Gotta be the best looking stiff arm I've ever seen.

[youtube:nyp2txub]gEHd7M6ri_4[/youtube:nyp2txub]

14. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Keeping with the theme of great offensive collisions...

[youtube:8uppgnqc]_Quh63kQBUk[/youtube:8uppgnqc]

Although apparently this hit ended that safety's career. I didn't realize he'd torn his ACL on the play. That's part of the reason it looked so vicious; not only did he get a concussion from the helmet, he couldn't keep his balance and fall with any kind of grace.

I really wanted to get Michael Robinson after the Niners were done with him, but we didn't make a move. He's a hell of an all around player.

[youtube:8uppgnqc]CGZp6xP_59o[/youtube:8uppgnqc]

15. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That garrison hearst stiff arm reminds me of Marshawn Lynch last yr vs new orleans...

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, that was a good one too. To me the difference is that although Lynch blasted Tracy Porter, Lynch himself just about came to a complete stop. It was more powerful, but less graceful and way, way less effective. It gave the Saints a chance to catch up to him. Which they did, they just didn't tackle him. Tracy Porter himself would have tackled Lynch if he hadn't given up. I don't know if he was embarrassed or he thought his friends would get him, but he easily could have done it if he'd tried. Check out the replays of that if you get a chance. Porter just jogs alongside watching Lynch break tackles and go in.

Hearst didn't miss a step, just took the guy out like he wasn't there and kept going.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was at a preseason game at Three Rivers Steelers playing the Pack.
    Brett Favre was QBing for the Pack, he ran towards the sideline Greg LLoyd
    closed so fast on him and hit him so hard he decleated Favre and knocked him about 5yds in the air. Favre never took another snap in this meaningless preseason game. God I wish
    we had more players like Lloyd. Fun, exciting, Like Cowher use to tell Lloyd
    GET THE QB.

18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    first off, i actually saw the hit jack tatum put on daryl stingley, and for sheer brutality it has to be #1 on my list...........

after that, i can't get out of my head the stick that casey hampton put on eddie george..... i practically felt that one myself!!!!!!!

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Hmm, I don't remember that one. :hmmm:

:lolol:

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    it was a playoff game, and hampton totally laid him out.

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    George was KTFO. He was out before his knees even hit the turf. Needless to say, his body went limp and he fumbled.

It was pretty devastating. Didn't LOOK that brutal, but the effect was.

22. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    So maybe it is a stretch to say the "hardest" hit I've seen was in a high school game. I guess I would say it was the most impressive looking. In the NFL every player is big, strong and fast. In high shool not so much. A local school in central PA had a linebacker who weighed in at about 245 Lbs and could run the 40 close to 4.5. He ended up with a decent division 2 college career. The play was a kick return by the opposing team where the returner was 125-130 lbs tops. The 245 lb linebacker somehow lined the kid up and hit him directly face to face at full speed. The returner apparently never saw him. The whole crowd gasped and then went silent. The kid left in an ambulance. The athletes involved were obviously no where near NFL caliber, but because of the incredible mismatch in size this was definitely the most violent collision I have ever seen on a football field.

23. brianh03

brianh03 New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    maybe not the hardest hit, but the the bus running over urlacher is my favorite

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    <--------- Did it look anything like that? ;-)

25. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought it looked pretty brutal. It was kind of surprising, because obviously Casey didn't have a very fast running start, he was just kind of moseying down the line to string out the play. Came out of nowhere. Not a lot of people run into Big Snack, and that's why. He didn't need a running start, he knocked out EG just by leaning into him.

He had a similar play against BJGE of the Patriots this year, except for the unconscious part.