1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's at Stake in NFL Sunday Ticket $6 Billion Class-Action Lawsuit?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Rel, Jan 24, 2024.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Something tells me if the NFL loses the case the fans are the ones that get screwed

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Absolutely. The setup will be like baseball. Say goodbye to multiple games on Sundays. Teams on different streaming services, etc.

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Pretty much

5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Not to mention an end to the salary cap as we know it. If they went to regional sports networks they will end up with large and small markets, teams like the Steelers and Packers would be ****ed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    The Steelers suddenly have the budget of the pirates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Thats what some owners might want, but they still have to deal with the current CBA, the league entity that provides equal sharing, etc. If everything were abolished, then as you state certain teams could easily dominate in bidding wars of media rights and then players. The draft, another lawsuit and soon FA for anyone, this is a rabbit hole that could make football a total crap show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Pretty much.

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    They always are

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Simple way to put it: MONEY RUINED SPORTS!

In the 70's Pittsburgh a small city won 6 Championships in 9 years. Never would have happened in today's money world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Do MLB Owners hate money?!

They'd be getting a helluva lot more if they opted to go for the Salary Cap Route; roughly $10 Million Dollars worth. This "Revenue Sharing" aspect sure hasn't done the MLB any favors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We’re doomed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They do something like that I might be out and the other stuff I'm reading in here is frightening.

I live in Los Angeles and I literally have to use a VPN and pay for MLB if I want to watch the dodgers every since Spectrum or whatever paid a huge sum to have those streaming rights. Since then I have become less and less connected to baseball. And I won't get crappy internet service to watch the Dodgers.

And forget about Hockey and watching the Kings. I haven't even bothered how I can watch games there. Just wait for a blue moon when a game is on TV. For the love of everything, I can't even listen to them on the radio as some years ago it went to streaming service. I'm not getting some app to stream while I'm driving. I just want to get in the car, turn on the radio go do a quick trip and listen the game.

I don't have access to their financials but don't know how this is good for business. I've lost interest in these teams, means I slowly start to forget about them...don't got games...don't buy merchandise...and so. But they keep doing them so someone is good with them.

14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The MLB players are the ones that rejected the salary cap, not the owners.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ah... I see.

Makes sense. Thought that was up to vote by the Owners. My mistake.

Thanks for that! Very much appreciated! :drinks:

16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The owners pushed for it during the last CBA, players said no way.

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I used to be a huge MLB fan until the small market teams like the Pirates, Reds, Brewers and others could no longer compete because they didn’t have the consistent revenue streams (media deals, etc.) of the larger market teams. One thing I love about the NFL is that every team is on a level playing field and it comes down to organizational management, coaching and player personnel decisions. Money (or lack thereof) is not the determining factor as it is so often in MLB. I sure hope the NFL doesn’t go down that path.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Someone posted recently that a small market like Pittsburgh could not get 4 SB in 6 years today. I would agree and disagree, while the 'burgh is not what it once was Top 15 in Metropolitain area, had I believe the most top 500 headquarters, it still has some pop, Kansas City is not one of the 'great' metro area and they have put together a pretty decent run. As you said it starts with a good organization, hiring the right top management and coach's, then development and continued filling the ranks with good talent. The NFL provides that opportunity with it's format. If it is broken up, then the slide will happen. Super rich (deep money) owners and corporations will destroy the even landscape that makes teams like GB, Buffalo, Cincy and yes the Steelers able to compete for top talent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Hey, bit off topic but wondering how do the Dodger fans feel about always having great team and kind of being like the Steelers in the Playoffs;)??? They got 1 Championship since 1988 spending all that money. I love the Pirates but I understand we going to suck it. I'd be really PO'd if the Pirates put out that kind of $$$$ and only had 1 WS to show for it.

Bright side for me, I'll never have to worry about that happening.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It comes down to marketing bucks long term. Within days after signing Ohtani, his jersey was 1st in sales, extend that brand to an Asian market who loves baseball, they are going to do OK with that 700 million contract.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not that enjoyable in a weird way. Really happy about the WS and maybe that was my peak. But in general it's made the regular season just kinda boring and leaves me uninterested. And you almost expect to constantly win. It's almost like the regular season is some pre-season where you tune it a bit, but barely even get into until the post season. I would give all that up for a salary cap like the NFL.

And have always liked the Pirates and most memorable thing last season was seeing Bucs have a somewhat good start. Used to follow much more in the 80's/90's as the Steelers were my first love and just liked them as well for the colors. And well who doesn't like Pirates? Most memorable part of last season was actually seeing Pirates having a great start. And occasionally still tune in to watch them.

In fact for some reason when I play MLB the Show I usually just play as the Pirates as it feels like I have to earn things more. And well the colors!!!!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I always forget to look at the big picture. A little like Mike Trout. He is on the Angels but where I live is near his hometown and his shirt is a big seller at the local Kohl's and Walmart's. Asian market a tad bit bigger then Vineland, NJ;)

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    For sure, and the Angels do not have the clout that the Dodgers have. I'm not saying his jersey sales is going to pay that salary, lol, but the entire marketing strategy with the Dodger brand is going to drive corporate activity. I have no idea what the media market price is in Pittsburgh, but the Dodgers can rake a lot of bucks in that LA market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    The trial starts next week. I eagerly await my $25 voucher while the lawyers get $1B.

The lawsuit continues against the Defendants for violations of federal antitrust laws related to the sale of NFL Sunday Ticket, with a trial scheduled for June 6, 2024.

https://www.nflsundayticketlawsuit.com/faq

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I keep asking the question is this game on Sunday Ticket and keep getting the answer "No" more and more..

Not sure what Bars will be able to show the Steelers on Christmas day. I know must places can't allow customers to watch Netflix on public TVs.

• Informative Informative x 1