1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Andy Reid's record after a bye again???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 16, 2017.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    How many times did you get sick of hearing this like I did during the entire week over and over again. The bottom line is Andy Reid is a bum head coach when it comes to winning big games and he once again totally ****ed up the clock for the Chiefs in those last 3 minutes by using an extra timeout he had no business using. He allowed the Steelers to take a knee way sooner then he should have. Plus, just no sense of urgency at all on that last series as it took over 7 mins to score and tie the game. The bottom line is Reid is a goof and I mentioned all week how the Chiefs had a history of losing playoff games at home and once again they didn't dissapoint.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the only bye i was worried about was andy saying ba-bye.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's a goof? Wow.

The reality is he's terrible at clock management. Other than that, he's a good coach. Alex Smith is his QB for christ sakes and they had no running game. Hard to win like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    ...it's not what it used to be.:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think Smith is a championship qb either. I just don't think he's a guy that can put a team on his back and carry them when all else fails. I think he's more of a supporting role than a lead guy.

6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Fun fact, he teaches the "Terrible Clock Management" class at head-coach university. Tomlin is his teaching assistant. ;)

7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Reid consistently wins, and that's very hard to do, but he just can't take a team to a championship. It's a curse. Good, but not great.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh let me chime in on this....I was one that was so sick of hearing about the then 19-2......NOW 19-3 bye week record. But let me add a few more stats now, he was 1-2...now 1-3 in the playoffs with KC. He also in now 11-12 all time in the playoffs and KC is now 0-5 in the playoffs after a 1st round bye.

I am not attacking Reid or the Chief's, I think Andy is a good coach and I think KC had a lot of talent. My big deal all week was how much the media used that stat. Ok all done now time to move onto the Cheats........

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, didn't bother me in the least.

The stuff that bother you guys :lolol:

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I just think its the Chiefs. That team really lays and egg in the playoffs when they make it, and it's been that way for years and years.

11. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I think keeping the Steelers out of the end zone is a testament to the actual point raised by those who pointed to Reid's record with an extra week to prepare.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    They don't exactly have an offense loaded with talent.. Frankly, it's amazing he had them on the roll they were on. Alex Smith at QB.. average RB.. slow Maclin as #1 WR.. Hill is talented, but still mostly gimmicky and raw.. Kelce is their best weapon, but still inconsistent. Average oline.

He picked up Kelce, Hill, and Maclin was a pretty good signing.. But the wheels fell off Charles recently and they are kind of stuck with Smith at QB. He's not bad enough to risk replacing, but not good enough to take the next step. Maybe he does deserve blame for Smith.. But, it is what it is.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The Steelers team has better players then the Chiefs, for the game to be that close, says something about the Chiefs coaches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree about Smith being average, man he threw some nice passes for an average QB....if Kelce holds on to that perfect pass it is a different story! Don't get me wrong I am not saying Smith is the next great thing but he was good enough to be the winning QB yesterday, thankfully for us his receivers were average.

15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    The more telling stat would be, what is Andy Reid's playoff record..... he's below .500. I could care less about his record after bye weeks, so I ignored the commentators. Andy Reid is the modern day Marty Schottenheimer. Although I will say, if KC hit a couple of those wide open Tyreek Hill long balls..... it could have been a different game, players still have to play to win so I think Reid did his job getting them there.

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yep agree. They have an epic history of choking after winning the division and getting a 1st round bye. Same old chefs. Must suck being a chefs fan.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was impressed with KCs offensive playcalling. They had some nice designed plays. And they did keep us out of the EZ.

Bye week stat didn't bother me too much, it was a nice nugget for the media to use to hype the game. I'm sure they'll find another one to saturate for this next week

18. Steeel

Steeel Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I don't think Reid is a "bum head coach." The man has a legacy. He did not lose that game. The Cheifs made some great adjustments in the second half, and had they played that way the first half, would have more than likely won. I think they had a sound game plan. And if not for a player, and not the head coach, they would have tied that game with a mere seconds to go! That game could have went either way, because of Andy Reid, not despite him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, after his bye week he actually had a bye yesterday... does that count?

20. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    There's a very fine line between what we consider great coaches and what we consider chokers. I mean, if the Browns draft Big Ben in 2004, and we end up with Shawn Andrews, what would Cowher's legacy be? Or hell, if Cowher had gotten his way and drafted Andrews over Ben, then what? Guarantee he retires without winning a Super Bowl and not considered an all-time great coach.. And I loved Cowher..

If "The Drive" or "The Fumble" don't happen to the Browns in the 80s, MAYBE they go on to win two Super Bowls and Schottenheimer becomes the opposite of what he is generally thought of today, as someone who couldn't win the big one.

If Holmes doesn't make a toe-tap catch for the ages and Harrison doesn't make one of the top two best plays in NFL history, what would Tomlin be today? The guy who wasted Ben's prime years without winning anything. Instead, he's generally considered one of the best coaches in the NFL because he's won the big one and the Steelers are always in contention. If Wallace makes that catch in SB45, and we finish off that drive, Tomlin is a HOF'er just padding his resume at this point.

That's the fine line. Reid is a good coach, there's no question he's more qualified than some of these other hacks around the league that come and go.. He just hasn't had things break completely his way yet. Maybe if McNabb isn't in a condition where he's puking on the field in the Super Bowl, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The problem with the Chiefs is they do not have one iota of greatness on the offensive side of the ball. They have a solid defense and defense can get you to the playoffs, but you need at least a good offense to go with that to win a SB.

The only team I can remember winning a SB with a mediocre offense since the rule changes of the 70`s is, sorry to say, the Ratbirds (2000?).

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Andy Reid is a darn good coach. He's lost 12 playoff games. Do you know what that means? That means he's been to the playoffs 12 different years. How many have the Bills been to since Andy Reid started as a head coach? He's won 11 playoff games. How many have the Bengals, Lions, Bears, Raiders, Chargers, Cardinals, 49ers, Panthers, Browns (okay, we know), Jets, Dolphins, Redskins, Vikings, Titans, Texans, and Jaguars won during that time? You could put some of those teams together and you won't get 11 wins, nor 12 losses.

Do I love the fact that the Steelers won? Absolutely. Do I wish, Tomlin had Andy Reid's record after a bye? Absolutely.

23. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Who cares I'm a Steelers fan not a KC fan! smdh!

24. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I said it all week that the Chiefs had a history of choking at home in the playoffs and that's why I wasn't really too concerned about this game. Reid has to be more aware of his timeouts when you're losing like that and you simply can't burn one when you only have 2 left when there less then 3 mins left in the game. I think the Chiefs pace on that last drive was way too slow as well. They had no urgency what so ever and while they did sore to tie the game it took way too long to do so as he used7 minutes of the clock up.

25. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think he's a pretty good coach, but I rate this post the winner because I sure was sick of hearing "19-2 after a bye"

• Agree Agree x 1