1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you have done if you were MT?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Sep 19, 2018.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The standard is the standard, and the standard was set when AB was only fined 10,000$ for the facebook live video. 20,000$ probably fell out of his pockets on his way to pay the fine, he didn't bother to pick it up.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I guess the message didn't carry over to the rest of the team.

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Tell him no more helicopters flying him to camp if this continues, and he'll have to shave his head bald.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I am not benching my star player, fine him great take things away too, but I am not hurting the team. If it comes to the point the player needs to be benched then imo it is time to trade the guy. AB has a personal photographer and the guy has access like a player and that is how a lot of the pics get out so I would start with banning this guy from the locker room. That right there will send a message, also fine his ass! jmo

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Depends on the conversation he had on the sideline ? Depends on why he missed practice ? Depends on if he really meant anything with the trade comment ?

After all the facts anywhere from a fine to a game suspension or both ...He doesn't look as elusive now as he did last year he might not be 100% yet ...So maybe kill 2 birds with 1 stone..Get control of the locker room and give him a week to heal up..

6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed...He looks to " Bulky "

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, Mitchel was shown the door so it seems the only other knucklehead left to get the message is out jet skiing and fondling strippers. So as long a AB gets it, mission accomplished.

Besides, big difference benching AB than it is MB.

Then the inmates will continue to run the asylum.

You're hurting the team more by leaving it unchecked. Fining him and banning his photographer is a slap on the wrist.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This, basically.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Team rules need to be established going forward. If you screw up
    these are the consequences. Must apply to everybody.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No not really fine him a game check that his "special" privileges away and that should get his attention. If it doesn't then yeah you have to sit him I agree with you can't let these guys run the team. Hopefully the meeting went well and AB is back to a team player and we turn it around this week cause it will be a long season if it don't.

12. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    First of all had the very first AB outburst been handled severely this question need not be asked. Moving on to your question. Having a high tolerance for risk I would have read him the riot act and told him he will get his wish and be traded. Let him know he would traded to a team with a very bad QB situation. Now we shall see just how good you are. I would have Colbert actually shop him to the worst teams. Then based on his reaction either bring him back into the fold and levy the maximum fine or trade him to a very bad QB situation for a very high draft pick or a well established and historically productive defensive player who is a ballsy leader. One who has no issues with getting into slacker teammates' faces.. Ask him if at the next team will he catch Jerry Rice? If it is a trade, so be it. One pain-in-ass diva is gone from the team and the rest of the team will probably utter a collective "sheeeet man." Won't have to many headaches after that. Hard ball, baby, hard ball! I did this with sales divas and it works. The Steelers can always find his replacement who will be a real teammate. The Steelers suck at drafting defensive players but are very good at finding WRs. A diversified passing attack is better than a one man show.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    AB did not want to be traded. He was reacting to someone saying that Ben made him. It was not a trade demand or an expression of his desire to be traded but a way to express his belief that he is good regardless of who his QB is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm done giving a sh!t because Tomlin doesn't, obviously. The way I look at it is either these guys are going to turn it around or they will tank so bad that something will have to be done with Tomlin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    None of us really know what the meltdown was about. It's not like Ben wasn't looking his way. 9 of 17. Of course we can assume that he just wanted the dam ball more and to be put in better situations to help. He was frustrated and of course he is a deva but he works his @ss off. Oh and he is one of the best receivers in the game.
    Not that i'm in favor of his antics, but you don't bench your best player not named Ben. Need this game in the worst way.
    He will be on the field the first snap, as he should be...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I care less want he actually wanted! You go with want he tweeted and ram his words down his throat. He won't be making any flip remarks. I absolutely believe no one is above the team. Dumping a star for the sake of team unity and production is sometimes a necessity.

18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I wouldn't have done anything, IF I WERE MT!

19. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In response to "what you would have done..."

This morning I was watching a YouTube clip where Irving was going off on the players for speaking out about the bell situation. Mooch said (and I think they all nodded in agreement... Eisen, Warner, and Irving) that MT deserves a lot of credit for steering towards the middle of it all. I think we can all agree that Mooch has a much better perspective on all of this than any of us and I thought it was really interesting to see the agreement between the coach and players on this. Take it for what it's worth.

Having said that... as another poster suggested in another thread... social media is a social carcinogen. I think the coach needs to be a bit more of a daddy (of course that's big talk from a guy who has been unable to get his teenager to off her damned snapchat)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I just don't think "flip remarks" on social media matter or what are wrong with this team. What is wrong with the team is mainly the defense, which comes down to talent and coaching and not to what someone posted on social media. To trade the best WR in the game over a meaningless social media response would be idiotic and would do nothing to help the team on the field and would instead harm it in a major way. The defense isn't suddenly going to get good because AB is traded as a result of a social media post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's true but the players and coaches need to realize that the media is going to run with something like that, or Dupree's tweet, or AB's other tweet, ect. Maybe coach feels it isn't enough of a distraction to merit a policy. Maybe it isn't. I don't follow social media (facebook, twitter type stuff), but this seems to be more a Steelers issue than a league issue. I could be wrong about that, I don't follow it beyond what makes the headlines.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is from two seasons ago (just after we lost to the Pats in the AFCCG), but it shows that this goes way beyond the Steelers:

https://www.all22.com/nfl/nfl-stars-social-media

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    As much of an AB fan that I am, and how important a player he is. I would of sit him and make him inactive.

Only because this has to stop. The coaching confrontations, the social media stuff. You can't have it. It doesn't benefit the team to win. You can only say stop doing that so many times, before you need to come down with punishment. A $25,000 fine isn't going to mean poop to him.

If I risk going 0-2-1 so be it. Go try to win with who you have, and with those who follow the rules and do what they are suppose too.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Thanks for the link. I remember some NBA players causing a stir, but I forgot or wasn't aware of the others you pointed out.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011