1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What would it take for you to trade Maurkice Pouncey?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rhys Lightning 63, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Was having this conversation with a friend of mine the other day and we were discussing the O-Line, and I discussed how they really came into their own towards the end of the season (especially Cody Wallce at centre).

And the conversation moved to Maurkice Pouncey, given his injury record and how well the O-Line did, do we really need him? Add to that, some people on here suggesting we should trade him away.

So what I put to you is... If you were Tomlin and a team came in with an offer for Pouncey, at what point would you say 'deal'?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    1st round pick for next two drafts. He is the best in the game when healthy.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe if we could get a running back that's good and not a complete idiot I would be willing to let him go....

4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    A 2nd round pick. I don't trust his health at all (both staying healthy and the toll the injuries have taken) and we could really use the cap money. Of course, with the two ****ing pot-head morons, I guess we don't have as many big deals to hand out as we should.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    From SB Nation:

Bottom line when talking about potentially dumping Pouncey in favor of Wallace as a starter:

While trade talk is often entertaining from a fan's standpoint, it often overlooks the importance of a player in their role for a team. This is what happens when anyone thinks that Pittsburgh will be just fine without Pouncey in the future. Sure, the offense has a lot of talent at other positions, but Pouncey is a guaranteed elite player and opens up of the offense even more than it already has shown when it fires on all cylinders.

Remember that when Pouncey returns, Pittsburgh will have a chance to open up their playbook to more plays and rely on him, as well as DeCastro to be anchors for different run schemes and when attacking gaps in a defense. Wallace does not bring the sense of reliability which Pouncey does at the position, and the comparison is not even close.

This is not to disparage Wallace, but it would be like someone suggesting that because the Steelers were able to rely on DeAngelo Williams, Franklin Toussaint and Jordan Todman in a season whereLe'Veon Bell was oft injured, that we should look to trade away Bell. The other players can perform their duties at a level that makes plays and viable options as weapons in the offense, but none of them show the capability of an all pro player like Bell. We actually had that exact discussion a few weeks ago when I wrote a response to the various sports media members who thought the Steelers should trade away Bell or not re-sign him after next season.

No. None of this should happen, nor do I think it will so long as Kevin Colbert is the general manager. The Steelers are going to rock out with two all-pro players that each provide a strong testament as the best players at their positions across the NFL. Trading away such players so that the team can rely on lesser talented but assured backups to be regular starters could set the team back years. The only way either of these players should ever be moved at this stage in their careers is if someone walks in with a Herschel Walker type of a trade, offering somewhere around three of a team's first and second round picks and five players at various positions.

Until that offer comes in on the table, Pittsburgh should gear up for a Super Bowl run with an offense that has four all pro players in Le'Veon Bell, Maurkice Pouncey, Antonio Brown, and David DeCastro. Oh, and some guy named Ben Roethlisberger.

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Has Pouncy ever played all 16 games in any given year. .? I would also take a second rounder in a heart beat. The same with Bell at is point.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A 2nd round pick for Pouncey?
    That's funny.

8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Nothing short of Todd Gurley or Khalil mack would make me even consider trading pouncey

• Like Like x 1
  9. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    When was the last time he was actually healthy? No team in their right mind is going to give 1 first round pick much less two. I hope he proves me wrong, but I have zero expectations of him finishing the season on the field. He's a China doll.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's not a China doll, he had two freak injuries of players rolling into his legs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    China Doll?
    2010 16 starts
    2011 14 starts
    2012 15 starts
    2013 1 start
    2014 16 starts
    2015 0 starts

2 freak injuries. Wasn't like Woodley's injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    to be fair, he came into the pros with bad ankles. missed the playoffs in two of those years and had off season surgery on both ankles. it doesn't change the fact he had a serious knee injury and complications from a broken leg no matter how it happened. those things add up at a position that he has to count on those legs. i'm not advocating getting rid of pouncey though. we shall see how he does. :cool:

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would listen to ALL offers. His contract terms are hard to move,
    as Steel Elvis pointed out to me when the draft was going on. I wanted to trade
    him back then. The Steelers would be on the hook for too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What has he done for us lately. 17 starts in the last 48 games, not counting the playoff games. Really

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he is not strong enough to play Center, I watch the big boys get him stood up this sets him up for lower body mishaps ...I think he should be kicked away from Center or traded ...

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yep, I still have visions of him getting bull rushed into the backfield by Nagata when he was with the Ravens. He can pull with the best of them and is a great upfield blocker but he's no Mike Webster or even Dawson for that matter.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And back then we ran a lot of power blocking compared to the zone stuff we do know ..The key to messing up the power stuff is leaving the Center uncovered a bunch this forces him to go help or find his blitzing LB target ...The Zone scheme can be foiled by blowing up the Center and keeping the Guards from having clear sliding and pulling lanes ...

Funny you mention the Ravens because we hadn't really been able to run on them because they big NT Pouncey and pound him backwards ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    a pepsi
    just one pepsi
    but
    they wouldn't give it to us
    just one pepsi

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ahh.... this should be easy... but it is not. Given Pouncey's injury history.. having a top 10 pick is going to be really tough

I still would want a 1st round pick for him.. but more than likely top 15 and no less.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You have to consider how the injuries occurred. Coming in unprepared and out of shape is one thing and having someone roll up on the back of your legs is another.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

There in lies the crux of the issue. How many teams would end up biting for Pouncey in the top 10? Unless that team has a warchest of picks like the Titans did, trading away such a high investment may not be in that team's interest.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Pouncey would cost more against our cap in 2016 if we trade him than he would if we keep him (due to the rules concerning acceleration of prorated bonus dollars). That needs to be considered in this "what if" game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I know this hypothetical, but Pouncey is really a player that can't be traded.

If you're a buyer, you look at glass half empty, see all the time he's missed, and offer a low ball value in trade -- like a 2nd round pick. Your nightmare scenario: you trade real value for Pouncey and his bad luck continues and keeping missing games.

If you're the Steelers, sellers, you see the glass half full. ProBowl talent, athleticism , and there's no way you part with him without top value in return. Your nightmare scenario: you get decent but not sensational picks for him, he becomes somebody else's Pro Bowl fixture for the next 7 yrs, the picks you take for him become busts or journeymen.

Since it takes two to tango, given these positions, a deal is nearly impossible to make. Even without considering contract and cap implications.

Anything that you'd be likely to get for him wouldn't be enough in the eyes of the fan base (or the front office).

So he stays,

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No Pepsi....Coke

Cheezborger
    Cheezborger
    Cheezborger

Cubs win, Cubs win

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No team will give up a first round pick for Pouncey with his contract.

26. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    YOU'RE THE ONE THAT'S CRAZY