1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What would be your most disappointing picks?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 19, 2013.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Honestly I don't have a clue when it comes to drafting players but I know there are a lot of draft heads among us but what would yinz be most disappointed in when it comes to about the first 3 rounds or so? In other words, what's your disaster draft?

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    A QB on the first two days.

A WR in round 1.

A punter in any round.

A kicker on the first two days.

Not taking a chance on top talent that drops.

I could handle just about anything else. Not ready to name any players that would disappoint me, but I'm closing in on some the more film I watch.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We had it in 2008. probably after the dust settles,
    not one player from that draft will be a PGH Steeler, Incredible!

4. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    '

id be ok with a wr in rd 1....other than that this is how i feel..:this!:

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The only wr I would want in the first round is Keenan Allen from California

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    For me it would be a RB in Round #1 or 2. I have never been a believer in drafting RBs that early unless they are rare talents like Adrian Peterson, and there are no rare talents at RB in this draft. There are some good RBs out there, but the difference between those guys and many of the others is their college O line. For example, Eddie Lacy has become a hot topic. He looked really good this season, but he had a pretty easy time running behind that NFL caliber O line at Alabama. There are other guys out there who also would have looked great running behind those guys. Here are a few notable RBs from last year's draft - and where they went: Bernard Pierce (84), Robert Turbin (106), Vic Ballard (170), Alfred Morris (173). Stay away from RBs in Rounds 1 and 2.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i wouldn't think any position is out of the question, if it makes this team better.

i also said before and will still say, we have a very important draft this year but we also will have to make good choices after the draft on some UDFA's. with the money woes, they will have alot of these types here to fill in this year. until 2014 when we have some breathing room with the cap. these guys have to become players quick, if we are dumping age and salaries.

i guess K,LS,P would be a real reach in the first 6 rounds, but we may need 2 of those positions by next year.

i wouldn't be mad if we went LT in the second or RB or WR or QB or TE if we get an upgrade. why not? the draft is sometimes done for the future if they like something about a certain guy. we are losing people at every one of those positions possibly.

i think #1 will be defense this year. matt elam (cough cough).

ILB may be a possibility.

OLB,i'm not so certain about some guys they have ranked so high. i think we have the same quality here already, but now a year or two into our system.

CB, depends on lewis. we know we will have to replace ike at some point soon. (year or two). we have some good young depth though, again another year in our system. bigger, faster, stronger are all parts of being in the system too.

S, we need a starter quality guy here. clark has a year and troy we never know. golden is the only under contract and the other two could be easily upgraded. this guy may have to start at some point this year, or at least fill in if by some miricle we have both healthy next year and we don't have to play in denver. we need a good one. our future at this position. these guys thin out quickly after the top two or three.

ILB is like that too at the top, though there is some talent to be had there later. the top are the best though and we need one. those are where i'm looking in the first. S,ILB, i think will be the first pick.

of course the white elephant in the room , nobody is talking about NT. will Moo be available to us by next year? we picked one up and that's telling me something. mr rooney said he'd like more pass rush. alot can happen when the middle is colapsing in a qb's face consistantly. young casey did that. we haven't seen that in several years now. it could help the outside get more pressure, pretty simple way to increase the play of your OLB, ILB and DE's pass rush, but it makes a huge difference. maybe we go NT #1. when mr. rooney speaks, they usually jump.:cool:

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My fear would be a NT in the 1st round. A part-time player isn't worth a high selection IMO. I'll add, not selecting an OLB in the first 3 rounds would be questionable for me. I don't have nearly the optimism for Carter or Robinson that others here do.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think sometimes we try to mold these guys to much into all around OLB play, instead of turning them loose on passing downs to do their thing.:cool:

10. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. I don't think the coaches utilize individual strengths of our players nearly as well as they should/could.

11. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I would think ILB or RB being picked early would be disappointing to me. Seems like may mid to low round picks excell at these positions. Any WR that is drafted that matches the current wr's _ small quick guys _ would also let me down. I would like to see a Demarius Thomas type, a physical dude that in 2 years has potential to develope into a beast.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    now i would take minter or ogletree early. that wouldn't bother me. first rd. le'veon bell if he's there in the 2nd, i'd think about it, but would also pick up a speed guy too somewhere down the line.:cool:

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i have no problem with a stud ntin the first. when casey was demanding double teams you could not run the ball on us. the linebackers were making more plays. when run a 3-4 it starts with the nose. you say two down player. i say if u cant stop the run on first and second he will be in there on third and short

14. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    In today's NFL Offenses are going 3 and 4 wide sets on 1st and 2nd down far more often than ever before, which minimizes a NT's impact on the game. I respectfully disagree on the value of a NT.

15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand your point and its a valid one. I just look at our division. The browns have richardson and the ravens have rice. The bengals can run the ball alittle bit. In this division especially in cold weather you have to be able to stop the run. We had trouble with that his year.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!:

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mine would be if the Steelers took Manti Te'o at #17.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i will add that if the NT has the quickness(as casey used to have early in his career) and can push the pocket in the qb's face, it can be quite the weapon in causing TO's. i makes them have to commit help to the center taking it from somewhere else. DE or OLB. more sacks, quicker throws, qb can't step up or can't step into a throw. mclendon has shown some glimps's of this, but never used enough. casey hasen't really demanded double teams for a long time now. he used to be able to be in on passing downs year 1-5. then he got to big. still stoudt against the run but that quickness and push into the pocket isn't there anymore. as i said alot depends on ta'amu and the law.:cool:

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If he's available at 49, I still would pass. I will say that he will probably be overly hyped physically at the combine and will be taken in top 10 though.

If nothing else it will probably make for a very unpredictable draft.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    as i said if we go ilb early, i want ogletree, minter after that i like riddik,bostic,porter,gooden,holloman,molls and several others would do. we have though already brought in some help that i think could be very good. spence of course , rolle who they just picked up, and keon wilson who they just picked up. not to mention walter mcfadden back. he showed some flashes in preseason. he had that big hit at the goaline in one of the preseason games. all these guys have some speed too.:cool:

21. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    mine would be if we ever had the number 1 overall pick unless it was by a trade the year before and we lucked into it

this year i'm gonna say any gator being picked

22. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Barkevious Mingo scares me to death as a huge bust candidate. I'm hoping the Jets grab him so we don't have a chance.

23. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I"m on board with this.. Mingo has a real nice spin-move to go with his speed-rush but he can't set the edge against the run. He's a one-trick pony for sure and for whatever reason we don't utilize those types of players in our system.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A fat boy like Casey might get phased out, possibly. A pocket collapser in general is a must though. Ngata is not a true NT, but that guy is a special player who can play most downs....

25. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't care who we take in the draft necessarily, but I want some playmakers. OLBs who can get to the QB. WRs who can make catches like the Ravens guys did yesterday. ILBs who can shut down the run. CBs who can eliminate a WR all day out of the play. A S who can play the run and CF when needed. TEs which can dominate the red zone.