1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT WOULD BE A SUCCESSFUL DRAFT IN YOUR EYES?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, May 8, 2014.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mine would be that we get 2 immediate
    playmakers from this draft. Players
    that can change games. Whats yours?

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    2 CBs
    2 LBs
    1 OL
    1 big WR

As long as we can get that, I will be happy. I want a CB who can make PLAYS. TURNOVERS. I want a WR who can go up and over any CB and come down with the ball. He needs to be a red zone THREAT. No more FGs in the red zone. Other than that, just round out with strong depth.

3. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I like your thinking SCNB, I will be disappointed if
    we don't draft at the very least, 5 defensive players.

4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I would say defensively, you will see 5 picks. We have 9 picks. 5 of them will definitely be on the defensive side of the ball, maybe even 6.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    so a wr like cooks or beckham who just beats their man and skips redzone would be a disappointment? I am just asking cause imo if you can play size don't matter. I want playmakers. another Antonio brown would never be a bad thing

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I am nowhere near as enamoured with Beckham as others are. I really think his teammate Landry is a better player. I like Cooks and you can definitely win with him and Antonio. But I really would like a contrasting WR. There's more than enough choices in Round 2, Matthews, Adams, Moncrief, Bryant, Robinson, Latimer... This is the year to get a skilled big WR.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think if we find a replacement for 2 of the 3 following players, plus good depth, it will be successful:

Heath Miller
    Ike Taylor
    Jason Worilds

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    trouble is most of these guys really aren't big wr's. 6-2+, these aren't giants by any means compared to a 6-0 oe 6-1 cb. we had 6-1 in cotchery last year. Matthews 6-3, Bryant 6-4 are a little bigger. Benjamin,coleman,coffman,coles and evans are in that range of big receivers. most that want a big wr are not really pushing for a big wr if some of these others are on their list. bigger than AB, yes, but most of these guys don't dwarf him or the corners and that's where a speed guy can burn a big or small corner.:cool:

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes, my definition of big isn't necessarily 6'4+. My definition of big, is bigger than what we have, so 6'2+ will do just fine.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's why I keep having these thoughts on Bryant. kind of the best of both worlds. speed and size with good quickness numbers too. even with some of the knocks on him I think our veteran wr coach should be able to work with him. I think that's a huge plus that could land us a guy that has skills but needs them honed a little. starting with a guy that has most of the physical traits that make them a little more than the average "big receiver". I also consider he played second fiddle to Sammy Watkins and wonder how much better he could have been if he was the top guy?:cool:

11. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Perfect. And throw in a versatile DE, whoever that may be.

12. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    A successful draft would be drafting an immediate starter on defense, and 3 or 4 guys that live to see a 2nd multi-year contract with the Steelers.

I would love to draft Aaron Donald to pair with Cameron Heyward, but I can't imagine him lasting until #15.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    a wr and a cb ready to start and 3 good backups /rotation players

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They need to double dip at CB and DE, these 2 positions have the least quality depth on the roster. Draft a OLB, ILB, big WR, RB, LT.

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I want 2 CBs, a WR, an ILB, and OLB, a DE, a backup RB, and a depth TE.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you get 1 more pick tar heel, take it. LOL;):lolol::cool:

17. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Yeah, I know. I didn't answer the question. I just gave a list of positions I want to see met. With the last pick I select OL, probably a project OT. Someone that didn't play against high competition or someone that never lived up to expectations. Or I move the pick for something next year.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    good job.:smiley1::cool:

19. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No DE?? I think that's a top 3 need.

For me, the bare minimum is:

-One of the top 5 CBs
    -A top 10 WR (preferably tall, but I'm flexible)
    -A DE that can start now, or 2015 at the latest.
    -Depth at OL and LB

Other stuff I'd like to see but won't worry too much if they don't get around to it:

-Another CB
    -Another WR
    -Depth at TE, RB, DL

20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    WARDISMVP - I'm sure you are familiar with Shazier, but THIS is your type of pick. Fast, high motor, relentless, PLAYMAKER, productive, a true leader, and has the scowl of James Harrison.

:herewego:

21. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, we got one of my need positions taken care of....ILB. Now on to other things. I have moved OLB down the list and wouldn't put it anywhere near the top any more. I would love to have CB, WR, CB with our next 3 picks. In fact, I am ALL for moving next year's 3rd rounder for one this year. I like the depth of this year's draft and want to get additional picks if we can. I am all for giving up something next year for the here and now. Just too much depth IMO in this year's draft.

22. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Be tough to get anyone to agree to that, given everyone agrees on the depth of this draft. Have to give away a 5th maybe aswell? Be easier tio trade down in the 2nd maybe and add a 3rd?

23. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I would give the 5th as well this year if that is what it took. We have a comp 5th, so moving to get an additional 3rd in this pick is something I do.

24. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I wouldn't be averse myself.

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I do like the pick SCNB, I was traveling
    last week and couldn't really put in the
    time required. I do not like buckeye players
    but this one has a chance, BIG MOTOR,
    LIKES TOO HIT.Can he create and make
    turnovers, this is what this current Steeler
    team lacks. We shall see, the Steeler coaches need to put this guy were he can succeed.
    Just let him play, Will DL let him?