1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What would be a successful draft in your eyes?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mine, get a CB and OLB that can push to be a starter from day 1. Thats if they will let them.
    Also get a (ball hawking safety).RB,OT late round

2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    We need starters at OLB, CB, and S, and quality backups at all those spots too. But that's way too much to expect from 1 draft. The best you can ever reasonably hope for on a decent team is 1 immediate starter at one of those spots, and 2 or 3 future starters at any position. If you can pull that off, you spike the ball.

Personally I'd go OLB/CB/S in every single round and let them all fight it out like dogs for roster spots and helmets on game day.

But that's not going to happen.

3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    This!

4. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I won't ask for much, I'd take a repeat of the 1974 draft. ;)

5. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah, 4 HOF players would be nice. Asking for 5 would just be insane though.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    8 guys that win us 6 more rings would be OK.:cool:

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Not selecting another gimmick player (Archer) in the first 5 rounds.

Selecting at least a couple "aggressors"; guys who just want to destroy the opposition.

Not selecting a punter.

8. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Wouldn't that be great !!!!!!

9. thekingofohio7777

thekingofohio7777 Active Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I think getting a few talented potential starters would be nice. I think, in 2015, that the Steelers should go CB/SS in Round 1, unless any of the potential top-10 OLBs (Gregory, Dupree, Beasley, Ray, Fowler) fall to 22.

Personally, I've mocked Landon Collins to Pittsburgh in round 1, as Polumalu retired and the CB class hould still be pretty solid in the back half of round 2, where'd they get a CB. In round 3, getting a LB would be nice. In the other rounds, get a backup RB (and preferably a power RB), get some more depth in the secondary (it could be the whole defense in general, too) and possibly get another late round OL (and hope he turns out like Kelvin Beachum)/

10. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    That's about how I feel, but, getting all 3 (OLB, CB, SS) who can start is a long shot. But I hope they pull it off.

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

1 ray
    3dorant grant
    2 hibrahim campbell ????

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think a successful draft is to get a playmaker on defense. Pass Rusher or DB.

Yeah we could use some nice average role players that will be on the roster for a couple years, but more importantly we need to find an answers for the loss of Troy and eventually Harrison.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think you pegged our largest needs. OLB and CB are clearly needs where guys could come in and push to start quickly. I feel like this:

QB: At best 3rd string guy. I don't think you spend a pick on this need.
    RB: We need depth here. You may wait and go UDFA only if you feel Harris can contribute and Archer steps up this year. Indications are though that they may address this need if given an opportunity.
    WR: They see a larger need than I do, but it has become obvious that WR will probably be addressed in the draft.
    TE: Again the FO has shown some interest here.
    OT: Have we had ANYONE in for this position. It would surprise me if we drafted a clear OT.
    OG: With Foster getting close to the end of his contract and Hubbard really the only OG on the roster, it is a need, but probably later in the draft plus some UDFAs.
    C: No need. I like the Pouncey/Wallace combo.

DE: Depth needs as the starters are pretty well set IMO.
    NT: I don't think we look here at all. I think they like the guys we have.
    ILB: No need, we may have too many already.
    OLB: We have 3 guys and a lot of fringe guys, we need a starter for next year unless Moats rocks (unexpected)
    CB: Major needs, starter and depth
    S: I think we have 3 guys here in Allen, Shamarko, and Mitchell, but I still don't see a true FS on the field. I think we need someone for the FS role more than SS as I think Mitchell could move if we needed him to and Allen already plays both.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Draft 2 CBs and 2 OLBs they need depth there, and then probably a WR, DE, OT, RB.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Pittsburgh general manager Kevin Colbert said at the NFL owners meetings last month in Phoenix that the team will look to the draft for help at the cornerback position.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well 5 years late is better than never . We need at least 2 CB'S and a FS and probably a SS . I still think we should trade out of round #1 and double dip the DB situation in round #2 .

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope we can get one of the top 5 olb and a top 6 corner with first 2 picks. I think that is possible. I would love to have a top tier safety but I don't think that is possible. I will say if the top 5 olb are gone at 22 and landon Collins is there I would love to have him

18. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Personally, I think the Safety position is one which is filled with 3 or 4 guys, but yet lacks any clarity. Golden is nothing but a special teamer. W. Allen, can play either position and is a vet, but we should help he doesn't start more than a game here or there. Mitchell was the "big" prize last year but overall his play left us wanting more. I do think it has yet to be determined was that the lack of familiarity with the defense itself or was he a SS asked to play FS. Shamarko Thomas is a large question mark. He could be the future at the SS position or he could be the same as Golden, a special teamer.

To me, I think who we draft comes down to BPA at either position. If you draft a FS and Mitchell turns it around, you then have probably stuck a guy on the bench for a while. If you draft a SS and Shamarko is the real deal, the same thing could be said. Allen's flexibility should benefit us, with his ability to play both. Personally, I would prefer a FS in the draft, but that is just my opinion.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like a FS as well . We need that almost as bad as a CB , but we need 2 of those. I think we picked the wrong guy with Shamarko . I think he is more of a throw back has great run support and limited in ball skills and the ability to cover .

Not really his fault the NFL is getting better and better at passing , and the talent that is catching is doing the same .

We not only need more speed back there .We need more ball skills and more coverage ability .

20. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I honestly don't know where the "inability to cover" mantra comes from for Shamarko Thomas. Don't I remember correctly that he was brought in to cover TEs his rookie year? Didn't we play Taylor, Allen, Gay, Clark, Troy, Shamarko as a 6 person DB field his first year? Do I not remember that correctly?

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep and when Cortez was playing a TE he could get the job done .When they matched Shamarko up on a TE he could also get the job done .

A few things are going on that changes those results. The biggest is asking them to step up and cover other positions.The next is the use of multiple threats by offenses is growing by leaps and bounds. All the rules are slanted in favor of the Offense,

So these things alone will make it a lot harder for him to succeed at the position . Now you put his Strengths in and match those up with the new NFL and he needs Great play around him so he can play that SS/LB style. We simply don't have it .Now put in his height and his lack of ball skills this is a huge problem for him in coverage.

So can he play well as a run stopper who covers bottom of the barrel guys? Yes he can . But if you expect him to cover a top notch TE or a Big WR then he is doomed to fail .I love his story and I will be pulling for him , but I wont be slammed if he never plays the position at a top level.

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    A free safety is what I am looking for. I am inclined to think of Mitchell and Shark as both SS. But hey just my opinion.

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    When I look at this draft I see several positions that are pretty deep and some of those positions are our positions of need. I think CB and Safety are positions of need as well as deep positions. I also feel positions WR and RB are pretty deep and we are looking for depth at these positions which is good since we may be looking here later in the draft.

Where I really am worried is at the OLB position where the depth of this position scares me. This has to be a position we address in the first two rounds. I am not saying we can't find a gem later on I am just saying we can't afford to wait till then. I have said in the past I think we can find a guy to develop like a Vaughters but we need one of the top guys as well.

Depending on how the draft falls I want to trade back 5-8 spots gain an extra pick cause I feel there are guys in rounds 2-4 that can help us big time. The only way I don't want to trade back is if a guy falls that we never thought would be there for us.