1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What would 0-2 mean?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Sep 13, 2012.

1. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, I have a feeling that the message board might just implode so I hope that TTF is prepared to work overtime to keep that from happening should it come down to a bad start to the season.

I do hope that they start 1-1 for all of us die hards out there but what would 0-2 be really like? How many times have the Steelers started 0-2 and made the playoffs. I know it's not the end of the world but this Monday would be more difficult to get thru.

How many teams in the past have started 0-2 and won a Superbowl?

One thing is for sure, they need to play with alot more intensity this week or we will definitely be in that category.

It's a Home opener so I expect them to step up and bring their A Game.
    PS- This is not a "Hit the panic button thread"
    .....................That would be 0-3!

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I can handle a loss, provided we play good and just get beat by a better team (or better that day anyway). I will lose my mind if we lose to the Jets the same way we lost to the Donkeys, horrible pass defence and a chaotic offence.

3. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    10 years ago was the last time they went 0-2 (I think), then went on to win the wildcard game, only to lose to the Titans in the divisional round

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Not sure about the SB, but since 1990, 22 teams have started 0-2 and went on to make the postseason. Only 3 teams have overcome 0-3 starts to make the playoffs.
    Most recently, we started 0-2 in 2002 and made it to the playoffs.
    [​IMG]

5. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dang TTF, how many rounds does that clip hold?? :lolol:

That was a classic video; one of my all time favorites, especially as the father of a 17 year old!

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    After a quick search, the 1993 Cowboys startes 0-2 and went on to win the SB, but I don't think thats happened a whole lot! Lets not start 0-2 :praying:

7. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011

When that video first came out my two daughters 17 and 18 years old showed me it and said can you believe what this guy did to his kids computer?

I told them that I was 100% supportive and that while her entitlement mentality resulted in her loss of property that maybe she will think about it while she saves up enough money to buy a new one.

Now if the Steelers start out 0-2 I might have to go blast a few rounds myself in the back yard.

8. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    On ESPN this morning, they where taking about tonights Bears/Packers game. They said.. In the SuperBowl era, 88% of teams that have started 0-2 didnt make the playoffs.

9. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    Ouch!!!!!!! - Suddenly this game feels like a MUST WIN!

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Just relax people. This has been the longest week I swear. Of course when you lose the week always seems long.

11. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    a lot of people around here are acting like the Steelers played their worst game ever last week.

perspective:

they were playing in Denver in the high altitude. never easy.

they were without 2 of there best defensive players. not just 2 of their better defensive players, but 2 players that make their teammates better. Harrison makes Woodley much better as does Woodley for Harrison and Clark makes Troy much better because Clark gives Troy the freedom to make plays.

they are a team that is already thin and not very good on the oline and they were without a projected starter in Decastro. Gilbert and Foster both went down in that game. forcing in 2 backups going against a very good defense.

they were without their starting rb and his replacement wasnt at 100%. Dwyer looked beeter and should see more carries this week.

Wallace missed all of camp and preseason and it looked like he was being forced out there instead of letting Sanders get more snaps. i know Wallace had a td catch, but Sanders is no slouch and you let the guys play that have earned it.

and the biggest factor is, Peyton Manning. he is one of if not the best qb to play the game and he had everything to prove. the Steelers always have problems against him and if they cant get pressure on him, which they didnt, they usually come up on the losing end.

Sunday will be a different story. Sanchez is not Manning and they are playing at home. they wont be at full strength, but they will be healthier than they were a week ago.

12. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    0-2 would be hard to swallow - but I think they could come around. It would just maximize the importance of every other game - especially divisional games. There wouldn't be a lot of room for error.

On the other hand - if they lose Sunday and go 0-2 - I won't be back on HERE until they win. There are too many who seem to want ANY excuse to say that this is a bad football team and an 0-2 record will just feed the flames.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i think they win but i 'm not so hot about this season , i don't know i see a lot of problems , expecially on defense and oline , that doesn't make me feel we can contend this year , plus injurie on spence and decastro ... i hope i'm wrong but out there i see teams plaing on another defense planet
    but something can change i hope :popcorn:

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is a team we SHOULD beat when it comes down to playoff picture
    this might be one that we can't let slip away. Plus they are an AFC conference opponnent
    wery important come tie breaker time.

15. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    07 Giants started 02 and won the Super Bowl

16. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I know it's early, but I think Jets came could be very telling about the rest of the season. If we allow Mark Sanchez to look like Tom Brady, be potentially prepared for a long season. Even Cowher had an occasional losing season and so will Tomlin. Silverback needs to get healthy and play like the beast we know and love. I'm still agitated about losing Decastro, and I feel he could have made a difference in his rookie year, much like Pouncey.

17. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Steelers started 0-2...

in 1989 and made the playoffs
    in 1993 and made the playoffs
    in 2002 and made the playoffs

They started 1-4 in 1976 and 1-2 in 1997 and made the AFCCG in both instances.

But Bill Cowher and Chuck Noll were the coaches of those teams. My confidence in Tomlin's ability to "rally" a team after an 0-2 start is not very strong.

18. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    0-2 wouldn't be the worst. However, I agree with those who state it would be how the Steelers lost, if they lose.

Personally, I think they will win game 2. It's the home opener, and I think they feel they have something to prove, now. The Steelers always play best with thier backs against a wall. However, I believe Tomlin wants to inspire them to play that way all the time.

For some reason, it seems that the team hasn't been on all cyclinders for the past couple seasons. The players even consistently say they need to play all 60 minutes. I wonder what's causing the breakdown in the 3rd and/or 4th quarters. We saw that same thing, last year. I don't say this as a negative. I just wonder what's up. I'd like to see the Steelers become more dominant. The Ravens are doing this. Their offense is clicking. Then, again, I think they play with an offensive line...

Even if the Steelers went 0-2, I wouldn't count them out of the SB.

19. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Is that because we have never been 0-2 under Tomlin. The Steelers record under Tomlin is 55-26, I think he can motivate a team to win.

20. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    0-2 would mean we dug ourselves a bigger hole than last year.

Not the end of the world, but it would make things rougher.

21. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    0-2 would suck but then when we win 14 in a row losing the first two wouldn't seem nearly as bad

22. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm still stinging from the 2009 losing streak that occurred despite Tomlin's insistance that he would "unleash hell." So, yes, I am wary.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    People really need to let that go. Tomlin challenged the players by putting that out there and the PLAYERS failed miserably. You can't motivate roadkill to walk off the road.

24. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Fairy tales can come true,it can happen to you (us),
    if your young at heart.

Love your optimism bsf!!! You REALLY must be.....young at heart!!!!

GO REDS!!!!!!!

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think it would mean we lost both of our first 2 games