1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What will Ben's attitude be?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 8, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I've said through this whole process that I don't give a rat's ass what Ben wants... Nobody is bigger than this organization.

That being said, this whole Haley experiment hinges on how Ben receives it. I'm really excited about Haley, I think this could be something that could really take our offense to the next level. I think Ben could win MVP awards if he embraces change.

I'm skeptical though. If you read the PG article that was posted elsewhere, Kurt Warner basically said, yeah Haley would get in my face sometimes, but I knew he was doing it to make me better, so I took a look at what he was saying, not how he said it. That's a very mature attitude to have... But I'm not sure how mature Ben is. I had hoped that he's started to mature as his career has gone on but his comments about how he's going to tell Rooney what direction he thinks the offense should go in, worries me. When people have brought up the fact that Ben holds onto the ball too long he shrugged it off as that's how he plays, and it works a lot of the time (which was parroting what Bruce Arians had said).

I'm hoping that Ben sees that Haley is a pass first coach too, and that will keep him from getting his panties in a wad. And Ben sees it as a challenge, and takes it openly.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They both have to be mature, but Ben has to realize/accept that this isn't going to be the good ol BA days. And it's not just Ben either, Wallace better be ready for it too or anyone on offense for that matter, Halley gets in everyones face.

3. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    I think Ben will handle it just fine! He has been humbled greatly and has matured in many ways. My biggest concern with this change to Haley is: Will it cause some guys to take a step backwards temporarily while learning a new system or will they just have Haley learn our terminology and playbook as a base for installing his offense? Just remember how lost Antonio Brown was at times in his rookie year. A totally new offense could cause him to go through all of that again. I hope not!

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    He's a professional who gets paid a lot of money to play a game. I'm sure that he will be professional about it and keep problems "in house" as is the Steeler way. I agree that the new offense may have fits and starts at the beginning, but I'm hoping that a full offseason of OTAs and minicamps will help to ease that transition.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    what can he do ? demand a trade ? the colts are going with luck , so he is getting a new oc anyway , better be with the steelers i suppose , i think they both will try to get a good connection , is in their interest :hello:

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it would be a good idea for Ben to speak with Kurt Warner, to get the inside scoop on Todd. I think it would make the transaction much easier if you know whats coming. This way it would feel less shocking when Todd gets into Ben's face ( which I'm sure will happen) then he'll know not to take it personal.

It'll be Todd's job to find out who responds to the "in your face" type of attitude. Some players can handle it, others take it too personal. That's what was so great about Cowher he knew who he could rip into and got the response that he was looking for to correct the mistake. Instead of the player blowing a head gasket and not responding at all.

7. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So I take it Ben's meeting with Art II got cancelled? Kinda seems irrelivant now.

8. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Man who really cares about what Ben wants. He wanted BA to be re-signed. He wanted BA here because BA let him do what he wanted. He doesn't know whats best for the organization. Now those days are over (BA BALL). Somebody stated that they guess the meeting with Ben and ART II was canceled. I don't think ART II ever really thought about Ben's statement and a meeting with him. I don't think he would have let Ben question him on what he wanted. ART II Stated what he wanted in 2010 as far as the running game was concerned. BA didn't listen because he went right back to his old ways in 2011. Thats why he's gone. Ben was tripping and the Rooneys were not. They would never let a player do what Ben was talking about. They made there decision along with Tomlin on who they wanted as the new OC and it had nothing to do with what Ben wanted.

Infect, I think that if Ben is not careful, he will find himself in a lot of hot water because the Rooneys have been around a long time and have never had trouble from any players. The one's who tried to cause trouble found themselves out of the organization. Look at what happened to Santonio Holmes, let go for a 5th round pick.

At this point Tomlin and the Rooneys did exactly what they wanted. They found someone who has experience and who will get Ben under control. The Rooneys are not going to put up with any of Rothlisbergers shenanigans at all. He doesn''t get anymore chances after all that off season partying, drinking, and sexual misconduct. He will have to conform, shape up or ship out because he has been payed $100 million dollars to do just that.

ART II have stated that Ben will need to tweek his game so that he can stay healthy and they hired Haley to show him how. I believe they are going to work on getting the line better, and the proper balance for the offense to be successful. I think we can look forward to a much better offense and a long playoff run this upcooming season.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if i'm haley i would say to ben : look everybody knows we are both big ego and little bit crazy , do we want to fight all the year or get togheter and destroy the league ?

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

You better damn well hope Ben isn't shipped out unless they have an Andrew Luck type QB to snatch up. And I bet Haley has less rope then Ben does, barely any other team even looked at Haley, there is a reason for that. Haleys tenure is going to be a short one regardless of whether he does good or bad anyway. He was a HC, if he does good, he'll leave for a HC position somewhere, if he does bad, he'll be canned, I wouldn't get to attached to him if I were you. And it's a lot easier to jettison a WR then a franchise QB making 100 million. This whole "get Ben under control" thing is laughable, as if he is some wild man totally disrupting the team. Rooney just said he wants him taking less hits, putting a decent line together will go a long way in accomplishing that. Someone else here hit the nail on the head, BA was the pinata and now that he is gone everyone has turned their clubs on Ben, give me a break, this team goes no where without Ben. Do I hope Haley can elevate Bens game, absolutely, there's always room for improvement but this notion that Ben is this out of control terrible QB is ridiculous.

11. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Tomlin Era, I did not say Ben was this ot of control terrible QB! I said that they neeed to get him under control meaning, not letting him do what he wants, like playing when hurt, cut down on his bad throws and bad decision making, stop holding the ball so long. Teach him how to make quick throws, get rid of the ball instead of taking sacks. Just like ART II said, tweak his game a little. One of the things that will help that is to have better formations, a better running game, use of Screens to RB's out of the backfield, better use of his TE's, a quick short passing game, all things that BA didn't do. One thing that will be known from the upcoming season is if BA was all that bad or was Ben the one who was bad.

I don't think Tomlin and the Rooneys would have hired Haley if they thought that he wasn't capable. And you are right, he might be on a shorter rope then Ben but, he has a great opportunity to do well with the talent he will have. Two things that Haley said in his statement about being named the new OC:

1. β€œI am excited about the opportunity to come back home and work for a tremendous organization,” Haley said. β€œIt is an honor to work with the Rooney family and Coach Tomlin and continue the success that has become synonymous with the Steelers.

2. I look forward to helping bring more championships to Pittsburgh and to being a part of one of the storied franchises in the NFL.”

These two statements make me believe that he relishes this opportunity and will do well.

12. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    those are things EVERY coach says he would have said the same thing if the Browns hired him lol

13. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hopefully he byes into what Haley wants him to do?

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Get on board or stay home on the couch.

15. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    *Excluding off-field excursions:

Ben has been so difficult in the past. Every loss he blames on everyone else; he never says, "I did not do good enough." How dare the QB says he wants to throw the ball and win. Lastly, who does he think he is by wanting to talk to the Rooney's about the future of the offense.

All this offense needs is a QB that hands the ball off to a running back running behind a full back. Defenses will play the full back included formation the same as a formation without a full back so the full back will plow an interstate for the running back to run on. The defense will not have a linebacker or d-lineman to counter the full back; the defense will expect a pass. Besides, a full back is far more powerful than a linebacker or d-lineman.

Cut Ben, he is easily replaced. Any bum could be a Steeler's Super Bowl winning QB with the above recipe.

1990's de ja vu...

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    First sentence had me going for a second :lolol: I was thinking this guys nuts, that's the one thing even the biggest Ben hater can't say!