1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What we do with our cap savings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dominilate, Nov 13, 2018.

1. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just want to hear thoughts on what you guys would do as GM with the newly found cap space savings from not signing Leveon. I'm not sure of the 2019 free agents but I do believe we still could use a reliable 2nd DB and Edge rusher.
    I believe Hilton is a free agent (have to retain that guy) and then theres the decision to be made on Bud Dupree and isn't next year Ben's last contract year?
    Do we bring back Ramon Foster who will be 33 and is making 3 to 4 million (isn't that Ben's guy)
    Tyson Alualu will also be a free agent, BJ Finney
    Just want to hear your thoughts.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sign Hilton
    Let foster walk
    Sign Dupree depending on contract demands
    Sign Finney
    Sign Alualu depending on contract demands

If I remember correctly Ben is under contract through 2020 season. I would have to think long an hard about Ben. How much have Dobbs and Mason improved? How much money does Ben want? Not an easy decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    What players do we have coming up on their option years or finishing out current contracts?

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would be looking for a quality FA cornerback, sign Finney Hilton, Depth players get a bump also.

Think about a new punter and kicker. Or atleast bring in competition for these two.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We have quite a few young guys waiting in the wings. Some have even had to play now because of injury. A proper evaluation needs to be done on the young guys who aren't costing us much. Only the coaches have that information. I think we need to use the cap space to really solidify our biggest weaknesses. Take full advantage of our cap situation.

6. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Sign Hilton.

Sign Alualu.

Don't sign Dupree. He has half the tackles and sacks as TJ Watt.

Offer Foster $3m, take it or leave it. If he goes we put in Finney or Feiler and they will do fine.

Test some punter's and kickers.

Draft:

1st OLB

2nd ILB

3rd CB

7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Take the rest of the team out for a night on the town at Blush.

14.5 million will buy plenty of drinks and lap dances.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would say use the cap space to get a FA CB. I've always liked Ronald Darby who unfortunately just tore an ACL. But he's an UFA for 2019. Then I'm backing that up with taking a corner in round 1 or 2. Bradley Roby is an UFA too, but no one on the list really jumps out to me right now.

ILB now has me on the fence. Bostic is playing well and Fort is playing well in the sub packages. And we still have Matthew Thomas waiting in the wings. I don't think the position warrants a FA, but instead a draft pick in rounds 1-3.

All the rest of the money I'm signing guys already here who need extended.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Give a piece to everyone on this board...

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    OLB Shaquil Barrett is a UFA and was Porter's protégé when he was coaching at CSU.... just something to keep in mind

• Like Like x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No to DuPree...Has played a " lil " better this year after sucking for 3 years...And most people want to give him money...No

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Use it to lock up Artie Burns !!!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would pay Ramon Foster. I read an article on Steelers Depot that stated Foster has only made 12 million dollars over his entire career. That is insane for a player of Fosters quality. It wouldn't hurt to have Foster around for a couple of more years. Im sure Ben would appreciate it. He is a force of good in the Steelers locker room. He is rarely injured. There is no reason to believe he can not play at a high level for a couple of more years. Any deal Foster gets is not going to break the bank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    For 9+ million$, I hope not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  16. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they could spend about $5k on some heroin and plant it in his locker... have the cops lock him up

• Like Like x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I talked about this a year or so ago when he was a FA, I think he would be a great fit here I read that in college Joey was like a dad to him. Also some other names to consider if they are not tagged, Clay Matthews, Anthony Barr and maybe Dee Ford and Orakpo. I also would look at Quinten Rollins but I am not breaking the bank on any of these guys.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    isn't dupree in that option year at like 10 mil. next year? we should also gain 10 mil. for shazier as he will come off the books.

i'm torn on tuitt, hurt again and making a lot of money. is alualu the guy to take his spot? he's getting up there.

foster wants paid.

feiler, hilton, finney, haden, fort need paid.

make a decision on chickillo, burns, mccullers. :cool:

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Fort doesn't need paid imo...Unless it's at a very reasonable price...He's just a guy!

20. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm pretty sure the Steelers already picked up the option on Dupree. They had to do that back in April. So the only thing they can do now is cut him. I don't know if that leaves any dead money on our books.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...eelers-fifth-year-option/stories/201804230089

Would love to see Foster stay. It's sad that he hasn't "been paid" but realistically unless he resigns for around the same amount on a 2 year deal I just don't see it happening.

Hilton will definitely get resigned.

Finney could get a Foster contract that's team friendly.

Ben is only signed through the 2019 season. Cap hit at 23mil. Could give him another year on his contract to lower the hit a little.

As far as the Bell money that we saved this year a OLB or CB should be at the top of the list. ILB is a very close one for me too. I was ok with the Bostic signing and he hasn't been bad but he's definitely not the long term solution. M. Thomas and L. Fort would have to step up a ton to give any hope that we don't need a different long term answer. I haven't looked at the 2019 FA class yet so I can't throw any names out there.

21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Before everyone gets too excited, check out the projected cap space for teams in 2019: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space.

The Steelers are at the very bottom of the list (ok, 8th from the very bottom). There is a ton of cap space. Free agents are going to be expensive as hell.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i really don't see as much need at ILB. fort knows the system and can run and so can thomas. they just need some more field time and fort has slowly been getting that. i don't see a whole lot being any better in the draft. OLB maybe, FS to backup davis and corner are always needs. RB and interior line may be a place we go too. slot receiver could be a possibility. d-line is also a need, really just another interior guy. :cool:

23. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Alot of it depends on how the season goes.

24. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    CB and OLB should be priorities in 2019 free agency. If Steelers draft another project OLB in round 1... I'll spontaneously combust.