1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the best offensive line in NFL history?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Feb 5, 2019.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    What was the best offensive line in NFL history? Off the top of my head, some that come to mind to me are:
    Green Bay 60’s – Gregg, Kramer, Curry, Thurston and Skoronski

Miami early 70’s – Little, Langer, Kuechenberg, Evans, and Moore

Oakland mid 70’s – Shell, Upshaw, Dalby, Vella, and Buehler

Dallas early 90’s – Stepnoski, Newton, Tuinei, Gogan and Williams. I had to look I thought Larry Allen was early ‘90s, but he came along mid ‘90s and Stepnoski was replaced by Ray Donaldson.

Washington 80’s – May, Grimm, Jacoby, Lachey and Bostic

Any others?

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I did like the Skins, Hogs.

I remember the Steelers O-line being called terrible. I believe the Eagles set a record against us for most sacks in a game. Ben was on his ass all game. Yet that team won the Super Bowl:)

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think the Cowpies line of the 90's were pretty special, if I had to pick one it would be them.

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No one talks about the Patriots O line. Sure, he throws quickly but, Brady hardly ever gets touched

5. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    It's hard to be touched throwing nothing but short passes to Edelman, Amendola, Brown, Welker and them breaking a tackle and gaining yards after catch when Brady has three and five-step drop and throws.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Was the late 50's & early 60s Browns line any good or was it all Jim Brown? Asking because I don't know.

7. saturdaysarebetter

Jul 24, 2018
    The only players I ever heard of were Gene Hickerson and he's in the HOF, Chuck Noll and Lou Groza (known more as a kicker). I looked it up and there was a guy named Dick Schafrath that was a four-time All-Pro and six-time Pro-Bowler. My thinking was if you can't name too many guys then they couldn't have been all that great. Sort of like naming guys that blocked for Barry Sanders in Detroit. The only one I could name is Lomas Brown.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers O lines in the 70's were outstanding. A lot of times, Bradshaw had all day to throw.