1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with Keith Butler?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 5, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    His contract is up after this season, his defense is much improved with the additional talent they brought in. Butler also is the Steelers OLB coach, barring a late season collapse and this team makes the playoffs, I think they bring Butler back in 2020. Watt and Dupree are having their best seasons of their career, they have a real OLB coach now in Butler, not that fool Porter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The resurgence of the D this year and Butler's entrenchment with the team probably means he will be back. I'm not a fan of his but I just think that's how its going to play out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So are you saying you don't have a "clue" what to do with the "Butler"? Well just last week he was an accomplice to a murder in the "Kitchen" with a 1000 "Watt" motor. :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    He is likely gone I am afraid. Teryl Austin being a Seinor Defensive Assistant likely has more meaning than others believe. He is likely next in line to supplant Butler given his background.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    He has done a good job and got an effective system working. We don’t need to start over. Sign DuPree and lets be there next year

• Like Like x 2
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Harrison might still be a better option, Sign Javon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Also worth remembering that Butler took on LB coaching as well because Tomlin was having more of a hand in the running of the defense.

Looking at the evidence:
    Years with Butler in charge = frustrating misuse of talent.
    One season with Austin and Tomlin more explicitly involved = vastly improved defense. Obviously that's not all on coaching, but more than one thing had to change for the improvements we've seen.

I don't think that looks good for Butler. Unless he wants to drop down to LB coach again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If KB is largely overseeing the defence still then I see no need for change. If he is the DC in name only and others are responsible for the bulk of the improved defence then they should let him go. Only management truly know.

I will say in agreement with others there has been a huge improvement in the OLB play since he took that role over from porter. If he was willing to step back in to that role I think everybody would be happy with that. I expect if he loses the DC gig he will want to move on though.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They reported Tomlin drew up how to stop the Brown’s on the chalkboard during halftime....

This is Tomlin’s defense. I think Butler is gone, although I will give him credit for the improvement of Bud Dupree. After Porter left both our OLB’s started to take off. It’s not a coincidence.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    When the head coach has to take over and make adjustments the DC ain't cutting it just like years prior. Also just like years prior the backers even under butler struggled. They brought in a LB coach for a week to beat the patriots. This is duprees 5th year option. Butler has been here through it all. He has to go and no he is not responsible for the better LB play all of a sudden. Get rid of this guy and watch someone that can really run a defense. Enough already. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    What defense has austin coached that was ranked top 10, he hasnt proved anything as a DC to be hailed as the second coming, if we are going to change DCs at least sign one that has a proven record, austin is mediocre at best.....

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I kind of agree. Bring back Dick and let him play with this talent on defense. :cool:

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Let him go. Minkah fixed this defense, not Butler.

Imagine what a great D coordinator could do with all this talent?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I would agree Butler should come back. It looked like he was going in the wrong direction but thankfully he is trending upward at this time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Incorrect.

Back in 2015, he was considered to be a top coaching candidate. Furthermore, in his first season in Detriot which was 2014, the Lions were 3rd in PPG, 1st in Rush yards allowed and 1st in rush yards per game. However, given the fact that Suh left shortly thereafter, the defense did not recover from that.

In Pittsburgh, he has far superior talent than he ever has had. Who is to say he cannot improve this defense to new heights. Teryl Austin's situation is VASTLY differentt than what Chicago has experienced via Vic Fangio.

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Wade Phillips may be looking for a job next year, has he coached a 3-4 defense?

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    is that supposed to be green....Heck yea, he'd be a great hire imo

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    After the first quarter of the season, most wanted him run out on a rail. He doesn't know how to scheme or make adjustments. Now he's a golden boy. lol

In all seriousness, if Butler goes, If Rivera doesn't get an HC job, he might be worth looking at as a DC.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think Butler is doing a good job as the LB Coach.

They said at the beginning of the season that Tomlin was going to take over as DC and be in charge of calling the defensive plays, and that Butler was going to go back to coaching the LB position.

Butler may be getting paid as the DC, but he has been demoted to a position coach; he will be gone as soon as his contract is up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    My memory isn't that great anymore, killed too many braincells. I do remember he coached Denver & the Cowgirls but wasn't positive about what they ran.

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    everytime i read the title i think it's an old horse that needs to be put down or something lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Rams defense sucks, the Ravens ran all over them, they can keep Grandpa Wade.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Minkah isn't calling the defense, or coaching the OLBs like Butler is. They have won games even when Minkah hasn't made those splash plays.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Wasn't there a rumor kicking around a couple of years ago that Tomlin wanted Butler gone, but the Rooneys refused to let him go? Not sure how much truth there was to it.

I really don't know about Butler. Whether he's back or not depends on how in charge he's actually been this year. If the D is being controlled by others then he's almost certainly done. If not I'm sure they'll try and bring him back.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think that Butler will not be the DC next year, predicted by not having his contract renewed. Who do you like if he goes to lb coach or moves on?