1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with Juju?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I know this is jumping ahead a little, but if the Steelers follow protocol they will be negotiating with Juju this off season to extend him. That's if they plan to off course

Assuming that they want to, what do they pay him?

As things are, I'm having a hard time giving him more than maybe 12 million a year at the most.

Keenan Allen is averaging almost 12, and Alshon Jeffrey is averaging just over 12.

I would say that he's probably in a similar boat to them. Maybe a little less.

Is he worth 5 years/60 million with 35 million guaranteed?

The guaranteed money is gonna be big. Juju might have to take a little less overall because he's sucked this year. But he has to protect himself.

His agent will try to blame Ben being hurt as the reason he wasn't good. I guess it's Ben's fault that most DB's this year have been living in his hip pocket like a baby joey in his mama's pouch.

What do you think?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I believe this year will kill his market value.

So, this offseason would be an ideal time to wrap him up in long term contract.

5yrs 50million with 25 guaranteed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If juju’s agent is smart become a fa or demand a trade. The steelers have let it be known they are a pushover when it comes to these things. If he can orchestrate a deal to NE or GB he can have a huge season and make a pile of cash.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I think the kid is pretty down to earth and humble... This season may humble him even more so. He very well could be a money man and desire a different climate but we won't know til it's time to witness which way he leans. They (him and his agent) can beat the Ben Drum if they want but I tend to think he's a better mate than that in the sense of him not making excuses or dissing others to get his coin.

Again, I could be wrong but I think the kids genuine and genuine folks can be paid fairLy and even more so without hamstringing the franchise. I'd like to keep him and his type of character here for awhile all without breaking the bank of course but think bigger issues remain scattered throughout the team then whether or not JuJu gets his due. Next year or 2 are gonna be interesting come decision making time.

Really miss the old days before money killed loyalty and the game.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

How have the Steelers let it be known they are a push over?! Just curious.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Nah my man. Never too early for us as fans to talk about stuff like that! Keep in mind the next CBA is due so who knows what will happen between now and then!

Regarding JuJu, it is tough for sure. Already having three concussions is a major red flag. That being said though, Mason is not doing him any favors the same; Randy doubly so.

Give him what Brice said. The 25 million though is going to be tough to come up with. Then again, losing essentially the entire 2016 class and the very last member of the 2015 class eases things up a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

In the 'old days', a player was 'loyal' because he had no choice. The team that drafted you or signed you first had you forever unless they released you. Franco, Bradshaw p, Swann etc, were loyal because they had no where else to go.

And as far as the money goes, if I have a job that's has a high probability of me being dead or mentally/physically incapacitated by my mid-50s, I might insist on all the money I can get, too. The owners sure do when they shake down taxpayers on stadium deals, and TV networks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    juju is marketable, my kids love juju more than any other player. He’s talented injuries and having no clear other threat exposed him, plus playing with 3 qbs. I personally hope they extend him, he’s likes it here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I get what you're saying but I still miss em.

10. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    He’s said he wants to retire a steeler.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    JuJu is a good receiver stuck in a bad situation. He is playing on a bad offense right now. If the Steelers are smart they will extend him on a somewhat Steelers friendly deal this offseason. Better days for JuJu are ahead. Wrap him up now. Next season DJ, and JW, will be even better and assuming Ben is back could be a lethal trio, with JuJu likely leading the way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeppers. Juju needs to do what he believes is in his best interests.

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey TuRnDoWnForWaTT.

Yes, I agree that JuJu is in a bad situation this year. He has gone from one extreme to another affecting our fans' ability to fully gage his abilities. We know what he was capable of with Brown and Ben last year. He was the beneficiary of a Great QB and a Great WR, who at times had been TRIPLED TEAM. Now he is in a situation with no HOF QB and no potential HOF WR. Throw in No Bell and a wishy-washy TE situation and he has lost a lot of supporting cast. Given that, I believe that by next year (hate to say it because that seems far away) that Washington and Johnson are going to be a lot better and the trickle effect down effect will benefit JuJu.

Given all of that, I still do not think he is a "True" #1. However, he does not have to be. Last year's stats look like those of #1. They are misleading IMO because of all the support cast that he had which I just mentioned. Bottom line, for me, is that I am not sure how good he is at this moment. He, like all us, are probably going to have to wait until next year's performance to make a more accurate assessment, providing the "O" situation is more stabilized .

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

14. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If I had a job like that I would get out as soon as I could bank a few mil. I am surprised more don't cash in early.

But then again I don't understand when a player gets all bent out of shape cuse they dissing me only offering 9.5 mil I am going to play for a lousy team for 10.6. In the big picture what does that extra 1.1 mil get you and thats before taxes. A bigger than giant sized house a few more exotic cars.

Sorry went off the rails there in Ju Ju' s case yeah this year will hurt his bargaining power and the 3 concussions don't look good long term.
    We can all hope he is reasonable but sometimes its the agents that are setting the tone.

I think and its just a feeling but the huge money they gave Ben might hamstring us for a few years if he comes back and has no zip on the ball and is basically done we won't have a good QB or the money to get needed FA's.

15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with just about everything you said. The difference for me is that there is no doubt in my mind JuJu is a great receiver. Whether or not he is a true #1 really doesnt matter. We all make the mistake of comparing JuJu to AB. No one compares to AB. AB was a once in a generation player. Very few receivers could flourish on this offense with questionable playcalling, poor QB play, and non stop injury.

16. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I've always kind of wondered about this. Whatever his next contract figures are will be a huge pay increase. How do you value your worth? I know if you told me I was getting a 1000% pay raise I wouldn't even know what to do with myself. I would be so nervous signing that contract that you'd realize your mistake and take it away. Obviously I'm not a professional athlete, so this will never apply to me.
    But how do you know how much to ask for? Is this all on the agents to figure this stuff out? Does everyone need to be the highest paid guy at the time of the signing or do you realize what you're worth? And also, I wonder, is there negotiations on this kind of stuff, kind of like buying a car. Does the organization start off low and the player's agent start off high and they meet in the middle somewhere?

17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey TuRnDoWnForWaTT.

For sure about AB. My stance is that he is a HOF caliber player. No doubt whatsoever. Now, whether he ever gets there is another story based on his "Legacy". I love where he started and how he evolved. I liked when he was drafted along with Emmanuel Sanders. They both turned out great statistically wise. I really empathize on how AB's life/career is evolving now. The man is truly one of the greatest WRs of all time. He has left us (Steeler Fans) with a lot of great memories and "what ifs". It also bothers me, to an extent, when some fans state: "Well we never won a ring with Brown or Bell". True but man we were so much more competitive with them in there. I know I am in the minority here but I want him and Bell back. Just both with their collective heads screwed on tighter; especially AB. We were so much more potent with them. I could go on all day about the two of them. To me, as I agree with you, AB is a once in a generation player. As is Bell IMO.

I for one never really compared JuJu to replace AB. To me AB is in a class of his own. My statement/concern was with some Steeler fans and the pressure/expectations that were placed upon JuJu to seamlessly replace Brown as was the same for Connor replacing Bell. I talked to many people until I was blue in the face that it was Apples and Oranges in both instances. I think that those fans were so frustrated by the exodus of Brown and Bell, and the success that JuJu and Connor were having, that JuJu and Connor were just going to "slide" right in without out the team missing a beat. Well, we see how well that is going. Maybe with a healthy Ben it would be different but still not to the extent that some people thought/think.

Too me JuJu is still a work in progress. I like what I have seen from him up to this point. And like you stated, and I agree, it really does not matter if he becomes a True #1 WR. I agree he also is a great talent. If he is a true #2 for instance and Washington and Diontae are also around that ranking, then we have a very strong 3-set that teams are going to have to compete with. Combine that with Vance and Connor and hopefully a fully recovered Ben and we are a formidable "O" again. It just is very unfortunate that as we now have a seemingly much improved "D" that our once potent "O" is gone. And it all seemed to have happened to the "O" overnight, which it really did in a sense. All new faces on the new look "O" that now have the responsibility to build their own legacies.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Seriously. It's comical to expect "loyalty" from players when ownership will cut you in a heartbeat. I laugh any time I hear someone say a player signed a contract therefore needs to honor it, but let's ownership slide when they cut someone with years left on their contract.

Hey, I get it. All of this has been collectively bargained and these are the rules of the game, but don't give me this "loyalty" BS, especially when you only demand it from one side.

It's called professional football. All business. Nothing personal.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He needs to get paid like a #2 because that is what he is lol. Love the dude though

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You make a interesting point on the concussions. At the time it happened Thursday to me it didn’t look to be that severe of a hit to cause a concussion. Looking at it again 10x in slow motion I still don’t see it. It is what it is I guess but I’ve seen way worse. That has to be a concern that he may be susceptible to concussions.

Makes you wonder how back in the day these guys would get rocked and continue to play week after week. I thought helmet technology was supposed to help. I realize guys are bigger and faster but even 3-4 years ago things didn’t seem to be this bad and evidently getting worse.

21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The real issue is what about Watt? Watt and Juju both need to be extended end of the year but they can probably only do one. Who do you pick?

22. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Watt

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    watt. watt makes everyone around him better and juju needs better players to succeed. brown lol

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Watt. Not even close. Bud leaving only amplifies T.J.s leverage against the team. Even assuming Pittsburgh's 2020 pick on an EDGE turns out well, Watt is still the guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Watt has a 5th year option if need be.

Juju is having a down year and Watt is having all pro. Might be better to lock up Juju now.

• Like Like x 1