1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What should we do with Le'Veon Bell?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by brosonke, Jan 29, 2018.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sogn him. They shouldve signed him 2yrs ago and we wouldn't be in the predicament now. Now, he has us by the balls. We're damn if we do (salary cap) and damned if we don't (losing the best rb in the business)

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not just pointing you out here but to all the people who say he isn't worth it how can you say that? He had 321 rushing att which was 1st in the NFL with a 4 ypc. He then was targeted 107 times which was tied for 27th in the NFL that is WR, TE's, RB everyone I am not sure what his stats are as far as what % of our offense he was but it has to be high. He is 2 players in one and he don't need to come off the field on any down to fit the offense. He may want a lot of money cause we don't need to bring in another guy to help him, like the Saints do with Kamara and Ingram.

Is his history worrisome and is his off field stuff troubling maybe but I will blame SOME of that on the media as well as like everything they either make it bigger that it is or don't report the whole thing. I am not giving Bell a pass here he does some things we all don't like but oh well who don't? When he is on the field he is the best at his position, paired with AB and Ben this offense has the best at them positions when clicking and that to me is worth it. JMO

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Then why did he throw his teammates under the bus on CBS radio? He said something about them not being ready to play, Bell seemed to overlook the Jags himself tweeting the night before the game he was ready to play New England again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think they all did, it is pretty amazing how when Bell says something negative it becomes a major deal but when he says something positive people want to overlook it.

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    So belechick traded his sack leader 4 year player chandler jones to the cards for a 2 pick and a player who was cut, the reason was jones was looking for more money than they were willing to pay, he signed a new deal with the cards for 5 years 83 million 53 mill guaranteed, he also led the league in sacks this year with 17 but those were expensive sacks, the moral of this story is sometime players want more money than the team they are with is willing to pay....

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Special player, but he's a moron; a distraction that Tomlin can't or won't deal with. Get what you can for him and move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get what your saying but DE/OLB and RB are 2 different positions. Look at the % Bell is to this offense, not to mention you can't replace Bell with just 1 player. We missed the boat last year trying to replace him when there were so many RB's with Bell's skill set in the draft and he would have had a year under his belt. I don't think the Steelers are unwilling to pay Bell.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I havent looked at RBs yet but Id be surprised if no one coming out that is a pass catching RB. Thats the direction the position is headed, there will be more and more of them.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed and a good one is Penny he would be a nice fit but your missing my point. If we drafted a guy last year 2nd, 3rd, 4th round Kamara, Hunt, Foreman, Mack, McGuire etc who fit the bit they could have learned and been ready this year and we would be in better shape. I am not ready to bring in a rookie RB to replace Bell with us being this close to a SB team. We knew last year that this could be an option and we didn't prepare, now we are one year closer to the end with Ben. Nothing against Conner he is just not the same skill set as Bell.

11. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Tag and Trade the idiot..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
    We are now 6 days away from the artificial deadline that Le'Veon said him and the Steelers set. I have not seen any reports of talks making progress. I think he's bluffing by saying "we're closer". I do not see a deal getting done in 6 days let alone by the March 6th date. I think we are going to tag him. Anyone else got input on this?

13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    What should they do?

Let him walk.....

Even though he's the best RB in the league, he's not worth wrecking the salary cap over. No one is except a handful of quarterbacks.

They made him a very generous offer last season. It was more than fair. If someone else wants to give in to his high demands (I doubt anyone will) and wreck their cap situation, so be it.

You've got to ask yourself, WWBBD if in the same situation?

What
    Would
    Bill
    Belichick
    Do?

Let him walk, that's what. There's no way BB would pay him or put up with his ****. If the GOAT coach wouldn't do it, why should the Steelers?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Let him go, draft Sony Michel in the 2nd round, and sign a vet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I just have a hard time justifying paying 14 million or so for a back that his longest run was 27 yards and hardly ever runs on 3 and 1 because they have no confidence in him busting into the line for 1 yard. These numbers dont add up for that huge salary. He is good in the passing game but you can make that up with a good slot receiver.

Maybe with a new coordinator we could use a another back on short yardage but I would rather use the money for free agency MLB and /or safety and draft a running back or 2.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im not sure I want them to spend 14 on him either but his production is great. I dont care where it comes from, 2000 all purpose yards is a lot of offense.

A slot receiver doesnt have the same effect as Bell, when he lines up, you dont know if hes running or receiving. Lot harder to defend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Didnt miss your point. A RB is very easy to integrate into the offense, probably the easiest position. Bell and the guys you listed didnt have too much trouble their first year.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't agree that RB is the easiest position, let's see what everyone is saying if we don't sign Bell and bring in a rookie. Then he becomes a starter to take Bells place and he misses a simple blitz pick up and our non mobile old QB get railed and is done for the season. the guys on that list had shared duty, was any of them be the main back, the only back on the field like Bell? Maybe Hunt but that is the only one and that is my point, as good of a season Kamara had he shared time. Bell never comes off the field so on any play the defense has to account for him as a main weapon.

I think we are on the same side as wanting to keep Bell not sure why your posting like you think it is easy to replace Bell?

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow if you think for one second there isn't a line of people willing to pay for Bell your nuts, heck I would even go as far as to say there is a line that would over pay for him. The clowns have 110m in cap space, the Colts 77m, 49ers 74m, Jets 73m, Bucs 60m, and Texans 56m and all need a RB. Every year there are guys that get more than what most think they are worth. Bell fits this system and with us being so close there is no reason to not sign him. Don't make the offense weaker keep it as it is and fix the defense and yes you can do it with signing Bell. I am hoping for a 4yr 60 mil contract since Freeman signed a 5yr 41 mil last year.

I have said this before but we can get the money, tuitt and DD just restructured to get us to 7.6mof space. Cutting Mitchel 5m, Vance(re sign at lower) 4.3m, Wilcox 3.1, Gay 1.7, Golden 1.4m & Sensabaugh 1.4 will free up almost 17 mil while making this team better(other than Vance). That is 24.6 mil of space without doing anything more including extending Ben and Pouncey which could offer another 5-8 mil. That is enough for Bell, a S and an ILB plus the rookie class. So to all the people who think not signing Bell cause of the money....STOP STOP STOP we have it!

As for the Belicheat comment, I think there is a long list of events that lead up to this that would have drove him to the loony bin. The Bell hold out, the Ben retirement talk, players and coaches not getting along, the anthem, the social media posts, the JH situation, I am sure I am missing more but you get my point there were tons of problems this year so what would have Bill done, noithing!

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    not a fan of busting $$$ for bell but he is 30% our offense, brown being like 25% lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Two things,

1. Bell with Haley has been way overused. That's how you get 2000 all purposes yards. Too much was dependent on Bell. I think you still get the yards but divided among a couple of more players. This also helps when an injury occurs and your not so dependent on one player. This happened the year before when Bell got hurt and we looked unprepared after that.

2. Bell often times on pass plays is out in the slot with no backs. That's when you can have a good slot receivers have the same effect. He never run from this formation as he is too slow for a run around type play.

Our needs on defense out way his play, it showed this year, when we had to score so many points to win.

lol, you know I'm never wrong so just agree. I'll give you last word since your going to get it anyway. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It's a shame, but the Steelers are in rebuild mode even though they have a championship caliber offense. And honestly, the options are not good whether we keep Bell or not.

The offense will take a big hit if Bell is not resigned and it will not be nearly as productive, IMO. The already sub-par defense will be pretty much neglected if Bell is signed, due to limited to no cap space available, preventing any quick fix to the defense through free agency.

Either way, Steelers are a one and done 10-6 team at best in '18... and the bottom could be around 6-10.

If anybody here believes drafted rookie ILBs/Safeties are gonna set the world on fire right out of the gate... I've got some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Because they weren't and he wasn't the only one to state that. Pay the man or suffer the consequences. You only get a unique consistent back like this ...every now and then.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    6-10 to 10-6 seems reasonable for next year, however I believe the following 2 years after will be the last 2 years in probably forever to get a ring. Once Ben is gone we will be a 6-8 win team for years to come unfortunately.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't know about that. Packers struck gold with Rodgers after Favre. Seahawks eventually got Wilson after Hasselbeck left. Ravens got Flacco after McNair left. I realize McNair and Hasselbeck didn't win any Super Bowls, but they made it to one. The cool thing about QBs... some of the best current and past QBs weren't drafted in the 1st round.