1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What should the Steelers no. 1 priority be in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Finding a franchise QB to replace Ben through the draft

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Finding their next starting quarterback in feee agency

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Beefing up the offensive line

49 vote(s)
    62.0%
  4. Shoring up the run defense by drafting/signing DLs and LBs

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Other (please explain)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I know it is the camera angle, but it looks like Green is skipping leg day from that image. LOL!

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    and there is our new offensive tackle in the middle. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Poll overwhelming in favor of putting a QB on the back burner. Bad idea. Hope the Steelers don’t feel that way.

We won a SB with a bad oline because we had a QB. Good luck winning much of anything with a good line and Rudolph at QB.

Who knows how long it takes to find the next guy, should start immediately. Don’t be married to the guy just because you took him in the first, if he doesn’t have it he doesn’t have out, cut bait and try again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s not in the nature of this franchise to cut bait and try again. If the team truly likes a specific guy and gets him, I’m fine with that even if he’s not a guy that I think is likely to succeed. If we take Willis, I will become a big Willis fan. He’ll make that easy because he seems to be a good guy. I don’t support taking a QB just to take a QB. If you recycle QBs annually, your going to miss by not allowing them time to learn and develop. Hell, you want Willis and acknowledge that he’s going to take some time, but you also want to cut bait if someone doesn’t work out right away. That seems contradictory.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I don't think the sentiment expressed was to cut bait or not give someone a chance to develop. It's more along the lines of no matter how much you like someone coming out of the draft there's a chance they won't pan out. If that's the case, waiting for a can't miss before pulling the trigger is not good, because he very well may miss.

To use an analogy from a different sport, good things happen when you shoot the puck toward the net. You can't just take any shot, but you do have to shoot to score, and waiting for that perfect opportunity may not be productive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Seeing what we didn't do this offseason; I wish I would have said a new coaching staff.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You don’t have to give him 5 years Elvis. Or even 4 if you don’t pick up his option. I didn’t say to cut them after 1 year.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    T. Bridgewater hasn't hit his ceiling???
    Well How many teams have 2 let Him go before He does???:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Bridgewater would be an improvement over Mason. He can play the year and than next draft we can target Stroud or see what that class of QBs brings. It will be better than this years. So target next year for a QB. For next season, Bridgewater or maybe even Brissett or Jameis Winston if it can work.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's 28. I think there could still be some improvement. This route would free up the draft and still give us some free agency money over say Russell or Aaron and better then brisset or mariota. :cool:

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I honestly don't see Him being better than Mason.
    My thing is if We are not going 2 go all in on a Qb why bother. Beef up the rest of the team ,and get one next Year. Why spend money , or picks on something that is not 100% for positive better than what We have. We have other areas that could be better spent on.
    Unless He it the Guy We are going 2 be building around for the next 10, or so years, and I don't think Trubisky, or Bridgewater are that Guy.

12. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    if Steelers are not going for Pickett or Willis then get a center. Let Mason or Haskins start .Then get a Qb next year, because everyone says Mason sucks, So let him suck and get# 1 pick

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    No Trubisky no Minchew no Garoppolo none of them no Cousins no no old Rodgers no Russel Wilson no get Pickett or Willis or forget it

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    how about winston? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm.:hmm: He's a tricky one. I'm really not sure about Him....if I'm being totally honest. There are times He looks freaking awesome, and times He looks flat out awful. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I'm very much against taking Willis. I don't think they should take a quarterback in the first round just to take one. Also, it is unrealistic to think they would cut bait on a quarterback taken in the first round quickly. They wouldn't. They would probably give the guy at least four years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A lot of talk about the OL,And they were bad but.....BUSH AND the other other ILB we're HORRIFIC!!!!!!Granted losing Tuitt and Alualu were huge losses but.....Watching MY Steelers get Gouged week after week, was hard to watch!

NOBODY, Even in our " ****ty " Years and bad teams... NOBODY used to run on us! At the end of the year imo, the DL was even playing pretty good, and we still got Gouged! The ILB's we're garbage!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

And to add to my own question...We need TWO ILB's! There isn't ONE good one on the roster!

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Look at this team's history. They like stability. If they spend a first-round pick on a quarterback this year, that's their long-term guy for at least four years. That would be especially true of Willis, who would probably spend most of his rookie season on the bench.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not saying the Steelers would do that, I’m saying they should. They shouldn’t spend anymore than 3 seasons on a QB if they haven’t shown you anything in that time. If you have gotten three seasons of what we jus saw from Jalen Hurst, you know what you have and don’t need to give him a 4th year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's fine, but you have to take into account that the Steelers won't do that. That is why they shouldn't take a quarterback in the first round just to take one. If they get it wrong, which seems to be a high risk with this year's quarterbacks, that will set the franchise back four years. That is especially risky with a guy like Willis. Even many of his supporters talk about him being raw.

• Agree Agree x 2