1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What should the Steelers no. 1 priority be in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Finding a franchise QB to replace Ben through the draft

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Finding their next starting quarterback in feee agency

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Beefing up the offensive line

49 vote(s)
    62.0%
  4. Shoring up the run defense by drafting/signing DLs and LBs

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Other (please explain)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Johnson isn’t Hill, even I wouldn’t go that far but disagree with the rest. Strictly talking WR’s, KC has nothing special past Hill. Bills have Diggs and Bengals have Chase. Their number 1’s are better, actually I think Diggs and Johnson are pretty comparable but Hill and Chase are better. Past those guys I think our group is as good if not better.

Dolphins and Titans are both behind us as a group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I voted for C and D. I like Bozeman and VanderEsch in FA.

Now, to go back on my own words- in the 1980's the Steelers had plenty of good players on the OL and DL but nothing behind center, so maybe building up the trenches isn't the way to go. It's hard for me to be optimistic about next season, but a lot can change in the world in a hurry...

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't sign Vander Esch, he didn't live up to his first round status, and those neck injuries he has had are concerning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Move Greene to Guard..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Find out who rebuilt and fixed the KC Oline in one year and hire him at almost any cost.

Whoever he is did a 1000% better job then our scouts or coaching staff did with our Oline.

How long did it take to figure out Green wasn't ready to be a starting center in the NFL 14 or 15 games.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That person was Ryan Poles; a man who had risen in the Chiefs FO to become the Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Trey Smith, L'Jaruis Sneed and RsShad Fenton are some of his best Day Three pickups date. That said, Poles is now the General Manger of the Chicago Bears.

7. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Thanks for the informative post I heard something about the Bears having a new GM but didn t realize who he is. And we complain about not having high draft picks KC hasn't been drafting too high recently. That could be a very good move for the Bears.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Competent QB until Sam Howell is ready to take over.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Creed Humphrey wrecking shop again against Bengals.

We desperately need a Center!

10. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, let’s see. We just lost our HOF QB
    Lost our entire O line
    Lost our DC
    Lost our OC last season
    Will lose our GM next season
    Will lose our Vice President of operations
    Lost our DE for the season and not looking good
    Are gong to lose a receiver or TWO
    Are going to lose our first round LB

Add that just about every team in the NFL has a former Steeler on it that is GOOD. But hey, As you watch the playoffs take solace in a fun little game I call, “Can You Spot Em!

Just start rebuilding somewhere anywhere….

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I made fun of people during the draft at the time who kept demanding we draft him. But damn we should have drafted him. I personally think there's a much better chance Humphrey will be a franchise center than Friarmuth be a franchise tight end.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Spend the Cap money on Ryan Jensen.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The early draft picks for the Steelers in the last 5 years have been Edmunds and Layne; How is this a good thing?

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    KC rebuilt their O-Line in the offseason last year by signing 3 ProBowl players.
    Doesn't take great coaching when you bring in 3 quality vets to start at the 5 open positions.

They threw a huge contract at Joe Thuney (5yrs 80 million)

They traded for Brown even though he had only 1 year left on his contract and is as of today a free agent.
    Kansas City traded their 2021 first-round pick (31), a 2021 third-round pick (94), a 2021 fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round pick.

They picked up former Pro bowler Kyle Long who was not ready to return for 5 million.

I would rate these moves as a D. Coaching had nothing to do with getting production out of this line.

Picking Creed in the draft may bail them out of these offseason moves, but I think they are worse off today because of their off season moves last year.

The Brown trade was truly insane considering they only had his services for 1 year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hunt wasn't in charge of drafting those guys, his role is scouting guys already in the NFL for possible trades or free agency.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Nope the real DC is still there and will calling the plays regardless of who they hire. Tomlin is NOT gonna do a thing to stop the run. He has already made that obvious and has been quoted by media as saying this many times...

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I can't be the only one who thinks the Minkah trade was absolute trash. Stevie Wonder could evaluate Haden

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I think that’s a give. At this point, but I’m not even sure he’s a starting guard in this league.

20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Priorities should be (in no particular order):
    • Left Tackle
    • Left Guard
    • Center
    • Right Guard
    • Right Tackle
    • Middle Linebacker

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    go big or stay home. we want to go after someone to lead this team but we want to do it at bargain prices to fix other things. BS. get a good one and fill in around him. this is the most important position on the team. spend what you have to and get one. these other positions can be had around him. :cool:

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm sure Minkah was named an All-Pro his first two seasons with the Steelers, and this season he was their leading tackler.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They have Dotson to play LG, and I think they stick with Moore at LT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    since haeg is here i think he remains the swing backup tackle and leglue stays the backup interior man. he can play all positions in a pinch. i think green will be given a shot at guard with dotson. we need a tackle from free agency that can play either side as a starter. keep hassenauer and maybe draft a center. we always need 3 center capable guys. the kid from boston college may be a decent center. there are a couple in this draft after round one. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Who do you have for our DBs next year? Both Haden and Edmunds are Free Agents.

• Like Like x 1