1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What should the Steelers no. 1 priority be in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Finding a franchise QB to replace Ben through the draft

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Finding their next starting quarterback in feee agency

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Beefing up the offensive line

49 vote(s)
    62.0%
  4. Shoring up the run defense by drafting/signing DLs and LBs

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Other (please explain)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    When Olsavsky ended his career in professional football, he spent several years coaching in various places, such as Carnegie Mellon University. He also served as an assistant strength coach at North Carolina for one season. He then served as an assistant football coach at Youngstown State University for seven seasons coaching linebackers.[2]

Steelers[edit]
    Jerry was hired on January 29, 2010 to serve as the defensive assistant for the Pittsburgh Steelers, replacing Lou Spanos. He was promoted to inside linebackers coach on February 6, 2015. He has continued in this role until today

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I know what he did and was never a coach at the NFL level. He watched film on the other teams so we could make game plans for the next opponent. A quality control coach. He learned the pro coaching game under butler who was the linebacker coach before they gave him dicks job. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    okay after this weekend just draft a qb every year with your first pick until we get it right.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How anyone could just watch what Allen and Mahomes did and think you will get past them in the playoffs without a QB is beyond me. The sooner you start this search the better. Yes, if you choose wrong you will waste 3 years but you can just as easily choose wrong waiting to the following draft.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Agreed.

The AFC is completely and utterly stacked with young QB's. Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Jackson. Then throw in Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, Davis Mills with the probability that one or two of them will turn out really good and you see exactly how much behind the eight ball we are. You might beat one of those QB's in the playoffs, but your chances of beating two or three of them in a row without having your own high quality QB is miniscule.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I had to go with other. Need better coaching to better utilize our talent and a culture change in a big way. I have little to no faith in Tomlin at this point after seeing the steelers so underachieving for so long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Ugh. The Browns method.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Fixing trenches on both sides.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you can get a qb and fix the trenches. it's not like we need 5 offensive linemen and 3 defensive linemen all at once. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I guess it depends on how realistic is the possibility of getting a Rodgers/Wilson/Cousins for 3 years without giving up any picks and only being obligated to pay for their services (no more than $26-27 mil imo)??? I dont want them reaching in the draft on a QB. Everytime these guys get desperate to fill a position more often then not they screw it up (i.e. Devin Bush, Terrell Edmund's to name a couple)

As much as I like Rodgers/Wilson/Cousins I'm really not a fan of having to trade any picks for either (because of their ages). Since I believe they are all still under contract it likely would cost draft capital to get them, but for those people that cant wait this is your best option. I dont want to give up any picks, because we're going to need those picks to move up in a future draft to get a legit franchise QB if we're going to remain around the .500 mark with the QBs we currently have. I dont want to do any stupid trades that weaken their future position. I would rather just continue building the team now (OL being priority), take the lumps w/ Rudolph/Haskins/journeyman QB, and draft the franchise QB later ((i.e. CJ Shroud (my preference)) in a future draft. With the team already built you can take advantage of some of his best years in his rookie contract before you have to pay him.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    find a tyrek hill, and a gabe davis to go with that new qb. :cool:

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Minuscule? I would argue impossible. Why?

Buffalo had the Number One Defense in terms of Points Allowed and Pass Defense. Mahomes eviscerated them like it was nothing. For that matter, the final 20 mins it appeared that way to me!! :eek:

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Jameson Williams is the closest Receiver to a Tyreek Hill track burner. That said, with a Torn ACL... it is fair to question on how long it will take him to regain his top form. Wan'Dale Robinson is another solid fit; Jahan Dotson as well. Regarding Gabe Davis..??... JuJu maybe?!?! If not him... David Bell from Purdue or Charleston Rambo from Miami could suffice... assuming JuJu leaves.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    not to be a buzz kill but we have more pressing needs than receiver, Dionte Johnson has enough quickness to be our "Tyreek Hill". JuJu said he wants at least 4 more years, so I am planning that they work things out, so w Johnson, JuJu, Claypool, that could serve a proven NFL QB - Cousins, Rodgers, Wilson, - quite well in my opinion, Rudolph and Haskins will get their spin at the wheel but I am just not seeing it but hey, you never know, say they draft a QB - if Pickett falls to 20 why not, maybe that guy from Liberty, Malik Willis, I think I wld reserve the first three picks to OL ILB QB (if Pickett falls or Willis is still on the board). we also might get Washington back as a fourth decent receiver, I dont know

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    DJ being our "Tyreek Hill" is like me thinking I could be "John Holmes".

I agree we have more pressing needs than WR, but let's also be realistic, this receiving corps is nowhere near the Bills, Chiefs, or Bengals at this point. I'd probably take the Dolphins and Titans ahead of the Steelers also. The receiving corps is average. Not a weakness, but not exactly a strength either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Everyone acts like Mahomes, Burrows, and J. Allen won every game they played this Year.
    Like they are indefensible.
    They are not Super Human. I have Heard on this board that Rodgers, Dak, J. Allen, Brady, Wilson, Murray, and even Carr are all that ,and more. Yet they all got beat ,and are sitting a home. Some of these Guys may never play with a team as good as the one they played with this Year. Because contract cap space won't allow them.
    I could give 20 examples, but I don't want 2 keep typing....so I will give one. Since Rodgers 1st SB win I have Heard how great He is ,and How everyone would have 2 go through Him. That's exactly what they have done. Gone right through Him Year after year so He could watch others play in the SB.

17. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    KC beat us by scores of 36-10 and 42-21 twice in the span of a month. And neither game was as close as the score indicated.

They're beatable, in the sense that if we played them enough times we'd eventually best them, but if we played them 10 times they'd beat us 8 or 9 of those times.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Treylon Burks of Arkansas has some big play ability, Olave and Wilson from Ohio State too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Diontae has quickness, but he's nowhere close to being a burner like Tyreek, they need to draft a speedy WR.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    There are more pressing needs than WR. That said, not just this years but the Mahomes led Chiefs have given everyone in the league the blueprint for the modern NFL; Steelers included. If anything, the Steelers used to pride themselves on having such track burners no less; Dwight Stone, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Darius Heyward Bey (well, like Dwight Stone but crazy fast) and even Martavis Bryant. For whatever reason, that is not valued as much anymore... or least the criteria of what quantifies as being a track burner is being misinterpreted in the form of Chase Claypool; has the speed but not the ability to stack opposing defensive backs at the catch point nor the boundary.

While it would be foolish to spend a First Round pick on finding that Track Burner, leaving the draft without one is even worse. Have to get one if this team is able to even contend with the likes of Cincinnati and never mind put up a fight with the likes of Buffalo or Kansas City.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Jessie Bates could be signed back as the Bengals currently sit with roughly $58 Million in Cap Space per OverTheCap. Not saying the Bengals will but I personally would not get my hopes up on that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That they do. However, while they do have big play ability, namely Burks, none of them possess the track speed that Williamson does; Robinson and Dotson the same. All three are mid to low 4.4 guys; Burks and Olave maybe being high 4.3s but not mid 4.3s like the team needs. Williamson is a legit low 4.3. to even mid 4.2 player. Dotson is mid to low 4.3's and Wan'Dale has been timed usually clocking in the low 4.3s to high 4.2s. Realistically speaking, regarding all three, all three have true number one WR ability.

Moreover to the point though is not just speed but how that speed is used. Claypool has good deep threat speed but cannot stack opposing DBs on the boundary... at all. Heck, I can understand why the aforementioned three are listed as each can do that either consistently in the form of both Olave and Wilson or just outright box them out of the catch point in Burks. Williamson, Dotson and Robinson though... not only can they set up DBs at the boundary but also blow right past them.. in an instant.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    4.4 speed is fast enough especially if they're good route runners, they should be able to get one in the second round or later.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

4.4. speed is enough... should that WR know how to properly utilize it. Regarding this point, as you stated, Burks, Olave and Wilson; that is more or less, the best in the class at doing so. Others like George Pickens, Jaylen Hall or even Romeo Doubs cannot consistently generate the same results being 4.4 speedsters themselves the same way the big three of this class can. Given that fact, I personally say then head for option number 2; smaller guys but with track burner speed.