1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What positions do we target next year?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelers5859, Apr 30, 2012.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I know its early but if the positions we drafted pan out to be quality players and not knowing what free agents we resign...what positions do we target?

I would start with:

Safety
    WR
    TE
    QB

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    S first...and depending on Wallace possibly WR...next year is supposed to be heavy in Safeties for once so they could finally get one then. After that maybe CB. And then the rest for more depth where ever it might be needed.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Depends on so much... For all we know, ILB might be need #1. But I agree, safety would be a good idea. TE and WR would be good things to target in middle rounds, because we'll just need depth and not starters, even without Wallace.

And of course, fullback :(

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was thinking about this as well. So let's break down the roster:

QB: Ben/Lefty/??? - At some point we will need to take Ben's future replacement

RB: If Mendy goes, we may have depth....we may not. We will have to see what we get this year.

TE: Miller is great, after that we still don't know what we have.

WR: If Wallace leaves, Brown or Sanders leaves, WR may be a target.

Offensive Line: We may be looking yet for a starting LG...Gilbert or Colon could end up there, but I'm not sure.

Defensive Line: We will always be looking for more depth here. We have a future starter at all positions, but as Keisel and Hampton get older we will need more depth.

Inside Linebacker: Sylvester will get a chance to prove he can start, but at some point, we will need a starter. Spence and Timmons I think will be fine at the one spot, but even if Sylvester shows he can start, Foote will be a UFA and I doubt he comes back.

Outside Linebacker: Harrison replacement...pure and simple. Maybe Carter and Worilds will be the answers but I'm not sure.

Corner...the young guys will get a chance to earn their positions.

Safety: Troy and Ryan are getting older, replacements will be needed.

I think my point is only this, we have some youth that we aren't sure how they are going to develop. They could be great, or maybe not. I am excited to see.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I subscribe to the belief that Colbert likes to rotate his 1st round picks between offense and defense if possible. That being said, I'm thinking DB or LB will be our likely target in the 1st next year, with more OL, more DL, another TE, another RB, and probably a WR or two thrown in there for good measure.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Bottom line, which we should all know by now is, in the first round they will take the best player available at a position of relative need. Cam Heyward is exhibit A.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i sure look for big things from cam this year. this could be a make or break year for ziggy. they will have to decide if he is worth a big 2nd contract since he was a first rounder originally. :cool:

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Just because he was a first rounder...doesnt guarantee he's going to get a BIG 2nd contract...his play is what earns him that. And while he's been solid for the most part...in reality he hasnt earned a BIG contract which means he probably wont get a big one...but maybe a mid-level one.

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    ILB. FS. CB

but we will see what the talent level looks like

HACK

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is amazing how fast a body can break down, that being said
    we will have to let things play out. As Mac daddyo correctly states there are some
    make or break years for some players to step up, or there won't be that second
    contract from the Black and Gold. Also alot depends on if Dick lebeau
    will be our DC and if his repacement has other thoughts on the defensive side.
    You can never have enough CB's in this league, especially the way the rules are made up now.

11. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Safety and CB in that order

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    two guys on the D-line will be coming out off that alabama defense. these two made alot of what we saw in hightower and upshaw and other high picks for them possible. kind of alabama's aaron smiths. i think these juniors are going to be the better of the guys that came off this defense. these were the dirty work guys that made the rest of them look better. we like those types. we very well could be looking for an upgrade at DE for ziggy by next year. they will have to make a decision on him. i do agree S and CB will need addressed soon, but keep an eye out for the bama bunch again, i think they are the better guys off that defense compared to this years crop. :cool:

13. SouthSteel89

SouthSteel89 New Member

May 2, 2012
    i say we take the best DE in the first or second. (see giants) can never have too many beasts on your d-line

14. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011