1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What positions are the Steelers looking at next year?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by strummerfan, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Just throwing this question out there .... should we be looking for a new kicker? Boz has been hurt multiple years now with weird undisclosed injuries?

The last thing you want is to try to juggle 2 kickers on the roster.

2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Just curious, what is the metric to determine whether a guy can play center? I don't love any of the centers this year. I do like some guards and wonder if the can be converted ala Jeff Hartings? What are teams looking for? Seems like any OLineman worth his salt can be taught to snap a ball. What makes a center?

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

It is difficult to determine what teams look for in specifics when attempting to evaluate a Center as there are many variables. Smarts and athleticism are the biggest two; schematic fit being the next option. Other aspects like leadership and physical attributes such as length also fall under here. However, merely calling out assignments Pre Snap, delivering a good snap to the QB or even having the athletic ability to climb to the second level of the defense quickly all pale in comparison to one key attribute; processing ability. Yes, even something like snapping the ball is important and it would be silly to state otherwise but keep in mind that, for me, something like snapping the ball or having high end athletic ability is mandatory for elite Center Play. What separates the Hall of Fame ones from the Elite though is their ability to instantly recognize even the most minute details in a defense both Pre Snap and Post Snap. Players like Maurkice Pouncey or as recent as Corey Lindsey have this ability in spades. Being able to process information at a moments notice allows the aforementioned players to utilize their other abilities without having to worry about some of the shortcomings of them..... whatever those were; doubly so in Pouncey's case when he was in his prime.

The biggest general reason though as to why something as miniscule as processing is so critical is that information gets to other Lineman quicker and more efficient; a much better unit as a whole overall. That in turn translates to a more streamlined, functioning offense that can not only sustain drives but score points due in part to the Offensive Lineman's consistency in their assignments; the Center being the biggest factor overall. However, finding all of the aforementioned traits at an elite level is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. If anything, the last Offensive Center that had such traits was, ironically enough, Mike Pouncey; the 15th Overall Pick in 2011.

That said, for me, the only Center I would take in Round One is Creed Humphrey. If anything, had he declared in 2020 like I thought he would, he would have been a Top 20 pick in my opinion as the overall Center Play in the NFL right now is severely lacking. I would like the Steelers to nab Humphrey but given the fact that both Colbert and Tomlin were not at Oklahoma's Pro Day, I seriously doubt he is on their radar to begin with. That said, Quinn Meinerz from Wisconsin-Whitewater is definitely someone that has peaked my interest. I sadly do not have sufficient info on his processing ability but if the Senior Bowl was anything to go by, I would say he is very good.

• Like Like x 2
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They have too many holes to use a draft pick on a kicker.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wouldn't have 2 draft one. Every year there is new UDFA Kickers.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Not really moving off my October post with taking an OT.

WR - not a great need in the first
    TE - not a great need in the first
    QB - next year
    RB - some intriguing options but there will be others later as well

DL - not a great need in the first esp DT
    OLB - need depth behind Highsmith but not in the first
    ILB - I can see a need here but there are few options
    CB - since the Steven Nelson wtf scenario played out, I can see a need here
    S - depth behind starters is needed but not in the first

So in my eyes, it comes down to OT, IOL, ILB and CB.

ILB - do we need two first rounders in the last 3 years to bolster our strongest side of the ball? Not a fan of Nick Bolton in the first, Zaven Collins may not be there and there are some good options later on

CB - Definitely a need and there will be some very good CBs available, a strong possibility they get one here. The stink of high draft picks on CBs is still strong. I like the Jaycee Horn kid though.

IOL - C is a need even with Finney et al. But OT trumps IOL in the first all day imo.

OT - how often do you get the chance to take a top tier OT in the first 25 picks? Yes its a deep class and that means you will be getting a very good one at 24. Banner is still a question mark, AV is unsigned and declining, Chuks can battle with Banner so the best one will play. Second to QB, a top OT is a premium pick. I think they can really upgrade the o-line for the next 5+ years.

• Like Like x 1