1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What positions are the Steelers looking at next year?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by strummerfan, Sep 28, 2020.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You have to think left tackle, center, and tight end are priorities. If we lose Dupree I’m sure olb is in play as well.

2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Joe Haden isn't getting any younger, and Mike Hilton is probably leaving for big money elsewhere so CB has to be on top of the wish list....
    TE is a must
    QB also should be addressed soon

3. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I figure Sutton will take over Hilton’s spot. Had forgotten about Haden. Maybe Justin Layne will develop into something? Yes, grasping at straws

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ohh... starting Draft Talk?!?!

[​IMG]

That said, the situation regarding Zach Banner will be one to watch for certain. A Torn ACL is one thing. Another very deep and very talented Offensive Tackle Class is a another. Jalen Mayfield or Alex Leatherwood would be my top two choices. If not, Samuel Cosmi from the University of Texas is a wildcard.

@blackandgoldpatrol is right regarding Haden. I would hope that the team trusts Justin Layne but it is unknown at this point. Not only that, who knows what is going to happen with Cameron Sutton and Mike Hilton. Assuming the team loses Sutton and Hilton, this class is, again, very deep and talented. Issue is, this class of corners is top heavy and there will not be many options. If the team is still going the NFL Family Route, Asante Samuel Jr. is very hard to ignore. He may be small at 5'10 but he is a bona-fide playmaker. If Corner is in play for Round 1, Shaun Wade is a multi role weapon that can play any Defensive Back position. He has the speed and length to play at Corner but he can serve a number of roles as well.

Kyle Pitts is my top guy at Tight End currently but I seriously doubt he will be in play for Round 1. Maybe Pat Freiermuth but he is also a Top 20 player. Again, just like 2019, way too top heavy and little to no depth behind it.

As for QB?! I already have Trey Lance as my guy as some of the members know. However, keep an eye on KJ Costello. He might be playing in the Mike Leach system but his Arm Talent, IQ, Instincts and Accuracy are not products of the Air Raid system by any means.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why are we worrying about this now?

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Why not start a healthy discussion now?! Who states we have to wait until the end of the 2020 Season?! My own scouting begins in July when I review the previous year of tape; August being live action of course.

NFL Season never stops. By extension, the Steelers Season does not either. You think that Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin simply are going to wait until February to scout?! :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm worried about this season, and making the playoffs, there's plenty of time later on to worry about next year.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, that is your choice.

For me, as I said, draft season never stops! For that matter, not all of us solely think of the current season. Some of us like to think about "what can be" as well as "the here and now".

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    not so much worry as it’s a viable topic worthy of discussion. It’s far better than yet another Tomlin sucks thread. Or another of q’s stupid ****ing conspiracy theories.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Is this your order as well?! Mines is like this minus Center above both OLB and Strong Safety. Protecting the Interior is key for me.

.... Well..., that and Maurkice is not getting any younger either.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not so much the exact draft order I would do, but how I see it based on priority. I think OT in round 1 may be a lock for me as well as CB very early.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hopefully Shaun Wade is there by then! I am not too sure if the team wants to head to the Pacific West to check on Paulson Abedo though. Very seldom do they ever head out in that direction.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    An OT will definitely have to be taken in the first 2 rounds one would think. If Wiz comes back, I think the interior is fine with him and Dotson.

I think Dupree leaves but Highsmith can step in there. I also think Hilton has priced himself out of Pittsburgh but I would bet they find a way to re-sign Sutton.

They have been keeping UG3 inactive (not sure the deal there) so I would go ILB before OLB.

In the first 3 rounds, I would like them to get an OT, ILB and a FS for depth.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree with most of this. Only one major disagreement here.

I would make a change regarding Safeties. For me, Strong Safety is a bigger necessity. Remember that Terrell is on borrowed time. Granted, Pittsburgh could nab one in FA but will be cash strapped by then. Best to go for one in the Draft.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yes, i thought about SS, but I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to ride Edmunds as the starter. We've seen it too many times. Plus they drafted Marcus Allen and Antoine Brooks in recent years but they haven't drafted a prospect at FS to back up Fitzpatrick. I think a 3rd rounder would be a great spot for some capable depth there and STs contributions. Especially if we lose Hilton and Sutton steps into that role. If the FS prospect shows well enough, he may be able to contribute on the dime where Sutton is now.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s not worrying. Some of us watch a lot of college football, and like watching players with an eye towards the draft.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:this!:

• Like Like x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would like S Paris Ford (Pittsburgh) in the 2nd tbh if he made it that far (wherever) that is. I think he could play both in a pinch 6' 190, big hitter and athletic enough to be a returner.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I watch a lot of college football too, but I'm not too concerned about what positions they will fill right now :shrug:.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough regarding Antonio Brooks Jr. I am just not sure if he is going to be good depth by next season. Had he made the roster this season. I would be a bit more assured of the fact. Not so much currently.

As for Marcus Allen, he is now listed as a Linebacker now. I do not think the team should opt to play musical chairs again. Keith Butler tried that with Sean Davis and he did not recover from it

All this said, I want Paris Ford as an option. If that is not the case, Andre Cisco if available. Caden Sterns even.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Beat me to it!! :lolol:

One of the few Pitt players I have liked in the past five years. Jaylen Twyman is another one although I think Isaiah Buggs will be fine by then.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Considering that Big Ben does not have much time left, probably a good idea to see what is available in the future at the bare minimum. Alualu, Big Al and Joe Haden are a number of future impending problems. This is not accounting for the immense number of extensions either.

Even if we are not accounting for any of that, one major issue still remains. Big Bens successor does not appear to be on the roster. That has to be addressed sooner than later.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I totally forgot Sean Davis was on the roster :lolol::lolol:, doesn't change my view though, I'd still like them to target a FS in the draft. For depth and dime if he's capable.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, now it sounds like you ARE worrying... ;)