1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What positions are in play at pick #20?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    CB
    WR
    QB
    OT
    ILB

After filling some holes in free agency, I don't see them drafting guard or center in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if willis falls i think tomlin gets his guy. trubisky is colberts bridge to the tomlin vision era. just my two cents. if not i have to believe CB and ILB are two of the top picks in play and WR comes in there as well. i think they also like the TE cole turner out of nevada. he's a move TE that will compliment muth. he can also be split out in certain situations. he may be in play come round 4 to 6. it so depends on who falls. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think if Willis falls to 20 he is still the pick. But signing Trubisky eliminates the need to trade up. If hes there he's there. If he's not I am guessing the pick will be ILB, CB, or Safety.

I agree with 6. I can't see the Steelers taking a Center or a Guard now. That is actually a shame because if Linderbaum is there he would have been the safest pick the Steelers could have made.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think cade mays comes more into play in round 6-7 if he is still there. that will be the center/guard/tackle pick. he has played them all at Tennessee. he would still give them an interior guy at all 3 spots and has played both sides at tackle as gameday depth. another late round guy if he falls is rasheed walker out of penn state. he would fill a tackle role down the road. if these two are there we have future players for roles after these free agent pickups we just signed play out their short contracts. it keeps the pipeline full without having to use high picks. it seems to be their new MO for the o-line. it gives these guys time to improve and learn before they step in. they have met with both. max mitchell could be an alternate at the tackle spot. it depends who is there at that point. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Willis makes it to #20, the Steelers need a player who can help now, not some project load up on defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't think he does either. Personally I think he goes in the top 10. But if he is there, he would be very hard to pass up.

I have seen some mocks where Sauce Gardner has fallen to us. Unlikely that happens, but again if he's there you have to take him.

Other than that I would take Devin Lloyd. I think the Steelers have a strong chance of him still being there at #20, especially if there is an early run on QBs.

• Like Like x 3
  8. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    EDGE Boye Mafe, (George Karlaftis maybe depending on testing)

I also think, looking at mocks, if Devonte Wyatt DT from UGA is there, he is an option.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think tight end makes any sense for them. The offensive line, cornerback, linebacker, safety, quarterback, and wide receiver are all higher priorities. They spent a premium pick at tight end last year and Gentry looks like a sold No. 2.

I know they signed two interior guys, but I would still consider Linderbaum or Zion Johnson if they are available. I think both are high-floor, high upside maulers up front. Cornerback also has to be an option. I've said all along that I would take Pickett if he is there. I am not a fan of Willis, but I imagine the Steelers will bite if he somehow falls that far. I really hope they don't try to trade up for him. I think that would ba a big mistake, but it is possible with so many holes filled through free agency.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If the top 10 teams pass on him thinking thats too high for anyone in this class, then he just has to get past the Saints and they may end up with Watson.

Will be interesting to see if the top ten teams do take a QB, if it will be Pickett or Willis. Of course the way teams act with QB’s, both could go top 10.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe the Browns will take him if they don’t get Watson.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt they would take an edge at #20, they need better depth but they have bigger needs, Karlaftis would probably fit better in a 4/3 defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The talking heads have been saying they don't think the Steelers will go IOL early in the draft now, they could use another tackle though.

14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    + DT
    + OLB/Edge

Alu2 is ancient and we're not real sure about the options behind him. A huge body in there would do a lot of good. Highsmith was underwhelming last year. I still like him but there's very little behind behind him and TJ.

I hope they get a real impact player anywhere on D or WR. Still don't like the QBs that high and OL is less of an immediate need.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bring back Ingram as the #3 OLB :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Safety or Defensive Lineman should the smoke have cleared by then. Another friendly reminder that Michigan's Pro Day is tomorrow. Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert have both been known to frequent that college for some time now; LaMarr Woodley being one of the first picks Tomlin made from that program.

If there is a prize awaiting Tomlin, Flores and Austin, Daxton Hill is likely the crown jewel that they will observe for certain. I personally have been a fan of his ever since his High School days but was always left wanting more given his limited tape. That said, the back half of 2020 and all of 2021 made certain he is worthy of a top 20 selection. Truth be told, it is entirely possible he is not going to be available by that point due to his unique skills.

However, should he be there at pick 20, @S.T.D, @Lambert and even @HeinzMustard all will likely throw a party. Compared to Terrell coming out, Daxton Hill's instincts far exceed Terrell's... and it is not even close.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I think Gentry's emergence has lowered the temp. on drafting a TE

• Like Like x 1
  18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I would prefer us to take a CB in the first... However, I think we are primed for a Quarterback. The only way I think we don't take a QB is if we cant find a trade partner to get the guy we want (if that guy is available at the slot we designate "palatable" to move up to).

I would think CB, S, ILB, and OT are all options. QB and WR are possible too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Agreed. However, a later round TE wouldn't shock me at all. If we think that guy is going to be a good player, why not?

20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I hope in the late rounds maybe one of the 7th round picks, the Steelers draft a RB. Our trio of backups Snell, Ballage and McFarland are just not up to NFL caliber.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    all of the except P and K.

22. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I agree on Karlaftis. But I also think drafting a top edge is the Steelers way, and the team's been struggling at edge since losing Bud Dupree and when Watts was out.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pencil in the following thus far;

Daxton Hill

Andrew Booth

Possible Round One Receiver (Not yet but will likely appear)

*** Wild Card: Jordan Davis***

Again.. this would conclude the current week of the Pro Day Visits. Have to see if the team shows up to Ohio State and Alabama in full force (they normally do).

• Like Like x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Since we lost juju, Washington, and McCloud today wr will definitely be in play. I wouldn’t be surprised if they double dipped.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am now seeing mock that have the Steelers taking Jordan Davis at #20.

Tomlin is on record saying he doesn't think Davis will be there for the Steelers.