1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What past player would you have booted off the roster?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Feb 13, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Seriously. Kordell did NOTHING for this team. :frustrated:

2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I always love the Kordell talk......Cowher literally benched him like 5 times...there simply was no one better to take his spot....You guys act like top 5 QB's grow on trees.

and FYI....I am a Kordell fan...he had 5 OC's in like 6 years....and Gilbride most of all mind F'd him.

HACK

3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I totally agree Hack, they set him up to fail AND the Pats cheated! But, the bi-polar in me says he would have had a better career as a WR.

PS - For the record I'm really not bi-polar

4. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Kordell sucked. His first year as a starter teams had some trouble with his style and Bettis; then he sucked. Kordell sucked.

5. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Ah, the human brain is a funny thing, isn't it? 2001 AFFCG. Pats get 17 (SEVENTEEN) points on special teams and win the game by 7 (SEVEN) points. Kordell receives most of the blame for failing to lead a heroic comeback, instead throwing two desperation interceptions in the waning minutes.

But why did he have to come back? You allow 17 points on special teams and it's the QB's fault? With even a C- or D+ performance from our ST, we go to the Super Bowl with Kordell. And people like you were hollering for Kent Graham and Tommy Maddox. Jesus, all you have to do around here is NOT win Super Bowl and you're the worst quarterback ever.

6. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I was so psyched for that game too! I couldn't believe the ST play. It was like watching the key stone cops. I was making light of the Pats cheating thing, but we really did lose the game all on our own even if they did have defensive call knowledge.

Plus, I never felt confident in us beating the greatest show on turf that season. And yes, mostly because of Kordell vs. Warner. But, Cower and company really made sure he was never confident enough to be succeed in my opinion. I think they might have ruined/wasted the kid. :shrug:

7. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, you never know. The way people think of Kordell nowadays, you could say "Kordell vs. ____" any QB in the league, and it looks like a bad matchup. But... we won all the time with him! We were freakin' IN the Championship game, and it wasn't the first time. We were a great team with him, just like we are now. We beat great teams. Including this game. I bet not a lot of people would take "Kordell vs. Tom Brady + an on fire Drew Bledsoe", but he (and the rest of the O and D) basically beat them. I have no idea if we would have beaten the Rams, but it's definitely possible. The Patriots did, and we as good as beat them.

There's no question his entire career was butchered like a pig by the coaching staff. I've been likening him to Alex Smith for a few years now, but only now is that argument starting to make him look good instead of bad. No one can succeed consistently with a new OC every year even if the OCs are good! If they are terrible and injecting poison into your player, any success at all is impressive. Add to that he basically never had any weapons to throw to, the closest thing being Burress, who seemed to drop more balls into the hands of defenders than catch touchdowns.

8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Kordell Stewart.

Top 5 QB, really?

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    What he said was that top 5 QBs don't grow on trees. Meaning, if we threw out Kordell, it's not like we had anyone who could play better. And at the time the game wasn't so passer-friendly that you could take the 4th best QB in the draft in any given year and solve all your problems.

And although Hack didn't say it, I will. There's no question Kordell was a top 5 QB when he was playing well (during his good years). Defenses could not cope with his running. If they had good coverage, we gained 7 yards. That meant a lot more than people gave it credit for, and it meant a lot more then than it does now, since so many teams have guys like that. IF he had not been mangled by the Steeler organization, he would have had a much more successful career, and calling him a top 5 QB would not be a stretch at all. God knows he had the talent.

10. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Kordell sucked. I did not want Graham. Maddox was better than Kordell. Kordell sucked.

11. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He had one good year, and it was as "slash", not as QB. Now, it's time to move on - nothing to see here folks.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't know snack kirschke had some decent numbers. i never could understand all the hate on him. to each his own though. :cool:

13. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Amos Zeroue and Willie Parker. Both would go down faster than a ...

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's hard for me to bash Kordell Stewart because when I was a kid in the slash days I thought he was awesome. But I also thought Neil O'donnell was awesome. I also thought wrestling was real. Btw in slash's defense Jerome Bettis did say that he thought Pittsburgh set Kordell up for failure. But atleast Kordell got me interested in Steelers football and just for that reason I can't bash him. Btw I agree with one of the above posts saying they would cut Carey Davis.

15. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The first name that popped into my head was Dwayne Washington..... ;)

16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

bubby brister!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Meh, Bubby Brister served a purpose. He was only ever a career backup, and he played his way into the starting line up against mediocre opposition.

My choice would be Chad Scott.

18. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I forgot how much I wanted Carey Davis gone. This years C. Davis for me is DAVID JOHNSON.

Matt Spaeth - I had high hopes for him, but he wasn't a good enough blocker and when he had the tosses in big games, he dropped them. Too bad.

Brister - Not a fan at all. I was screaming for O'Donell a full season before and maybe before that.

I know there was a recent lineman (not our two centers before Pouncey) that was killing me. Killing me that I can't remember.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought even the biggest Kordell bashers would concede he had at least three good years. Two trips to the AFCCG as a starting QB. If his best year was 1995, everyone else on the team must have really, really sucked in 2001, when Kordell was named team MVP. Tommy Maddox's first year starting he took the team to a 6-10 record. And before anyone says the team around him was different... the very next year they went 15-1 with Ben under center, and won the SB the year after that. It was a great team. Kordell won 59% of his starts, Maddox 42% (47% with the Steelers). During Kordell's off years, he was being killed by his OCs, particularly Gilbride and Sherman. Maddox had the offense catered to him and cost the team games in ways Kordell never could.

20. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Kordell was okay - he had some good years. And as far as Maddox, you got to have some context with how you consider the guy, he wasn't some #1 draft pick bust like Troy Edwards. He was a journeyman backup QB who actually lit a fire under the offense for a year. The Steelers knew he wasn't the long term answer during the 6-10 year and proceeded to draft Roethlisberger - end of story....not like the guy was a catered-to star.

Back to Kordell - the real problem with Kordell was that he never was going to progress to being a pocket style QB and whether it was Gilbride, Kordell wanting to prove he could be a pocket QB, or some combination of both - the transition was never made. As we all know, Kordell rarely could make multiple reads during a game and Dennis Dixon obviously learned the art of throwing balls into the turf from Kordell. They should have let Kordell be more of the slash type player that made him fun - yes there was a chance he was going to get killed, but you don't take away what is his major strength. That was one of the things I really admired about the Broncos coaching staff this year - they actually thought outside the box and said Tebow cannot be a pocket QB for a full game so we are going to adapt and put things in play that are tailored to his skill set...imagine that.

21. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Kordell was as good as Vick! The Steelers really gave him nothing NO WRs new OCs every year wanted him to stay in the pocket ect

22. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    would have to be Kordell Stewart.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kordell was an extremely gifted athlete who wasn't used properly. He's as good as Vick, not saying Vick is great but he sure don't suck.

24. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    right on same thing i said and Kordell was a better passer then Vick had a stronger arm :yeehaw:

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Again, Kordell Stewart, Top 5 QB?

Wait, take a moment to think and take a breath before those fingers start punching keys.