1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What past player would you have booted off the roster?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Feb 13, 2012.

1. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    OK. Its the offseason and things are really boring with the baseball season approaching.

Which player that is currently not on the team would you have parted with given a chance before they were actually let go?

Deuce Staley comes to mind for me. His last season was basically being an overpaid male manequin.

2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Neil O'Donnel... just before super bowl XXX

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good question. Tyrone Carter, Carey Davis are the first two that come to mind. Nate Washington, because I always thought he was overrated and wanted to get Sweed in there (love the people that prefer Washington over Sweed because Sweed can't catch...).

TOMMY MADDOX -- I couldn't stand him, or the fact that most fans seemed to prefer 300 yards and 3 turnovers to winning games. That was the most predictable failure in modern Steeler history. That whole thing frove my fan-ship to an all-time low. I didn't even watch the draft for two years (but I was psyched when we landed Troy, and then even more psyched about Ben because I knew Tommy would be done soon).

Oh, Larry Foote. Don't know how I could forget him. The team just seemed so satisfied with him, and I didn't like him from day 1. He was always the weak link. I will never understand how we drafted two LBs in 2007 with our first two picks, and neither one of them was meant to replace Larry Foote. Instead, James Harrison. Nice going, guys. At least they came around eventually and put Timmons in the right spot. Then they brought him back, which I was okay with as long as he was a backup only, and paid him more money than Farrior. This, while if we hadn't picked him up at all he likely would have been a free agent until deciding to retire. What. The. F.....

Travis Kirschke. Why he got as many snaps as he did, I will never understand. Not only did we have a young Ziggy Hood to play, we also had Chris Hoke, who was only getting sometimes 2 or 3 snaps per game. Put Hoke in at DE and boot Travis!

5. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Definitely Tyrone carter, he seemed to get beat on every play in '09..

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    To be fair to O'Donnel... actually, scrub that.

He was like the least intercepted QB of the season that year, though.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Starting to notice a pattern here, are you by any chance a defensive player :hehehe:

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You're crazy.

As much as Odonell was the goat of that game, without him they don't even sniff the Super Bowl.

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    That's why I said, cut him right "before" the super bowl. And it was really just sarcastic to get 4EverH8O'Donnel going.

10. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    kemo. how many holding penalties can 1 man get? missed "past" part. duh. i will go with duce too.

11. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If it has to be a past player: Tyrone (I keep gett'n beat) Carter

If it's opened up to the current roster: Evander (I have no clue how to rush the quarterback) Hood

12. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Another Tyrone Carter vote here and although I can't prove it, I was calling for Kordell Stewart's head well before he was replaced.

13. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ramon Foster. Overrated, even as a backup.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Okay, gotcha.

Ive gotta agree then. It couldn't have been any worse with Kordell. Either they win, or its not close. Either way is better than having your heart ripped out the way it was.

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Anthony Smith. I can't stand players that have done nothing and then run their mouths off. Rod Woodson basically told him to shut up before the 07 pats game and said "You gotta make a play in this league before you can start talking." Or something like that. But yeah I would like to get rid of Willy Gay.

16. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011

Don't even get me started! Looking at the season statistics and the way it went down it is nearly impossible for me not to believe the fix was in.

17. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Kordell Stewart, biggest douche bag ever. All you questioning Tomlin need to be reminded how long Cowher kept him.

18. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!: We have a winner! Can anyone out there top Kordell?

19. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    jamain stephens. worst o-lineman in the history of football.
    jonathan scott. second-worst o-lineman in the history of football.
    david trout. why'd matt bahr leave, again?
    troy edwards. i thought this guy was supposed to be able to catch.
    chad scott/dewayne washington combo. give you these two guys for a gatorade bucket. yes, it can be empty.
    tim lewis. can we get rid of coaches, too?
    cliff stoudt. you poor, poor s.o.b. to have to follow the blonde bomber.
    limas effin' sweed. can't believe how badly so many of our fanbase kept wanting to hold onto that worthless p.o.s.
    tom rouen. the worst punter in franchise history. was watching a playoff game against tennessee in '02 as he kept booming thirty-yard line drives and i was just ripping that guy apart vocally, and loudly. apparently, i was seated right next to his entire family. whoops.
    that's all that ccomes to mind . . . for now . . .

i see a bit of a pattern forming here with the anthony smith and tyrone carter votes. nobody likes somebody who talks a huge game and doesn't really back it up (see also: delton hall, lethon flowers). although . . . i loved anthony smith's high-stepping of a pick in a meaningless game from a lost season at carolina where the coaching staff absolutely lit into him for showboating.

i do like guys who mouth off and back it up though (see: j-peezy).

20. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Tyrone Carter,William Gay,Shaun Suisham,Neil O' Donnell,Troy Edwards, Just to name a few.I'm sure their's more?

21. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Man, you went way back. Don't forget Greg Hawthorne, Charles Johnson, and Tim Worley. A more fresh wound is Sweed.

22. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    ha! yeah, worley crossed my mind. kent graham and jim miller were awful and haven't been mentioned. i wasn't a big tyrone carter fan either but it seems like every time i started to hate on him, he'd make plays (the mnf game in denver). i thought alan rossum was pretty worthless too. and, of course, duce.

23. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Carey Davis. Not sure what the staff saw in him.

Bruce Davis. Soft.

Sean Mahan. Wasn't here that long but that guy was terrible.

24. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011

I nearly forgot about him. Cowher loved Sean Maham, must have been dating one of his daughters at the time.

25. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    [/quote:37khxxgf]

I nearly forgot about him. Cowher loved Sean Maham, must have been dating one of his daughters at the time. He was absolutely terrible except maybe twice a year on ST's he finally planted someone.