1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of fan are you?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ray D, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    First, let's get this out of the way. We're all Steeler fans.

We all bleed black and gold. Most of us have been fans for life. Some of us are old enough and lucky enough to have witnessed the 70s Steelers win all 4 of their SBs. For some of you, Bill Cowher was the head coach before you were born. Some of you were born, raised, and live in or around Pittsburgh. Many of us have only visited Pittsburgh for games. Some of you may never have even seen the State of Pennsylvania. Some of you were born into Steeler fandom through family or location. Some of us latched onto them at an early age despite our Dad's best efforts to make us a fan of his own team. ;) How we became a fan can be as varied as anything else in life. How long we've been a fan is most often merely a function of the timing of our birth.

In short, it doesn't matter how long we've been fans (we're assuming people aren't recent converts, aka: bandwagoners). It doesn't matter where you live. It doesn't matter what you do for a living, how old you are, or anything else. What matters is we are ALL Steeler fans. And as such, we are all part of Steeler Nation. We are all brothers and sisters in this beautiful black and gold family. Keep that in mind when your blood gets hot at something another fan says. :drinks:

All of that said, we can be as varied as members of any large family. Some may be analytical. Some know their football Xs and Os so thoroughly, they could coach. Some played the game. Some are historians. Some live only in the present. We have grumps. We have sickeningly overly optimistic types. We have realists. Some may be relentless cheerleaders. Some are never happy. There are defensive purists. There are running game devotees. Some fans latch onto a certain player or players, and nothing and nobody can sway them against that player. We have comedians. We have pot stirrers. Some fans can be any of the above depending on the time of day.

So what kind of fan are you? There is no right or wrong.

Me? I see myself as a realist. But I'll admit to being pessimistic at times. I'm usually at my worst during and immediately after a loss, or a poorly played close game. Give me a day or 2, and I mellow out. I go through enormous bouts of nostalgia, yet look forward to the next win, the next playoff game, and (Football gods willing) the next Superbowl ring. If I catch myself being overly negative, I try to soften it using humor. Granted, that humor may be sarcastic at times, but no one is perfect. :cool:

Steeler games are my church. Steeler football is my life. When they lose, a piece of me dies inside. I expect my Steelers to be the toughest kids on the block. There has been a mythos around this team since I was a kid, and anything less grates my nerves. I want my team to be dominant, and more physical than anyone else. I do not tolerate seeing my team get pushed around. There is no lead I'm comfortable with. Intellectually, I know they're well in control, but emotionally, I don't feel safe until the final tick of the clock. I expect total defensive domination... to the point where even a first down can feel like failure to me. I know that's not rational, but that's how I can get.

I'll yell and scream loudly and cheer them on at the top of my voice... and that's when I'm at home! Forget if I'm lucky enough to be in attendance. But if I'm unhappy with how they're playing, or how the game is going, the very LAST thing I want to hear is optimism and apologies. I want to wallow in my anger or grief. :roflmao: That's not to say I don't appreciate those kinds of fans. I DO! They help bring me back to Earth. But, God, you guys can be annoying at certain moments (I'm looking at you, JD. :p j/k ) But then, I'm sure my grouchiness, and others anger annoys the hell out of the rah-rah types. In the heat of the moment, we just have to remember who the enemy is. It's not us.

In short: I love all you sons of bitches. :drinks: :rawk: :herewego!:

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    anal ytical :grin: realistic and always looking for perfection (there is always something to improve )

3. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ray D, that was outstanding. You are truly a Steeler Die Hard, I love it. I like to say that if I get cut I bleed Black & Gold. My Man Cave is all things Steelers, and all things Pittsburgh. I am an old school Steeler fan as I am old enough to have seen the four Super Bowl victories of the 70's. I can remember the Steelers playing there games at the old Pitt Stadium on the University of Pitt's campus. I was born and raised in the Burgh however, I don't reside there now but I am a true blue Steeler Fan forever. We share many of the same feelings and emotions. I do believe in freedom of speech and speaking my mine. Some may like it and other may not but it is what it is.

So, in conclusion, TTF has provided a wonderful place for Steeler Nation to be able to express themselves. Me personally am looking forward to posting and reading all the wonderful post that people have thought of. It gives us the ability to communicate with Steeler Fan across the world. How exciting!!!

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm all of the above.I believethat if we play steeler football in all three phases that we can't be beat.It starts with coachimg and then the players have to execute.When you build through the draft,you better have the best scouts out there.Great organization is being scared by poor coord. and bad drafts.

5. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Born and raised in Pittsburgh and a Steeler's fan from the time I was old enough to understand what football was. My dad and uncles were all Steeler's fans. I had season tickets from 1969 until 1983. I moved to Florida in 1975 but we flew in for games.

Anyone remember Chuck Noll's first year? The Steelers beat the Lions 16-13 in the opener. Warren Bankston from Tulane was the number one pick. He went around left end for the winning touchdown. In an interview he said he had willed himself into the end zone. That was the only game they won that year. They did lose some close ones.

I moved from Miami to Tampa in 1987. I had gone to soem Dolphin's games but it was not like football. It was hot and strange. It was the same with the Bucs in Tampa. It was not possible to be a fan. I loved going to the games when the Steeler's came here.

Direct TV has made it possible for me to see every Steeler games. I bought four Club seats for the 08 SB. I took my wife and two kids and it was their first NFL game so they started out with a good one and it was like a Steeler's home game.

My son wore his #7 Jersey and went nuts with a Terrible Towel.

My low point was this past year. It was incredible hard to watch the Packers holding up the Lombardi and prancing around the field. It seemed unreal. After all the mistakes in that game they were still driving for the lead. I watched a detailed analysis of the fumble and it occurred because Pouncy was out and the block was too slow.

I believe when the Steelers are healthy they can beat anyone in any game.

6. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Great post.

I'm a perfectionist, an optimist, a pessimist, an apologist. I believe in Defensive domination and Offensive perfection. I wear my rose-colored glasses when things seem the worst and Become very skeptical when things seem to be at there best. I believe in the Organization fully when we win SB's. I question their plan when we miss the playoffs.

In short, I'm a child of the Steeler Organization. I will defend them to the teeth, I will chastise them when I'm disappointed. They are held to a very high standard but don't "you" say anything about them. I am Steeler Nation. We are all family.

7. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

It almost seems unreal when the Steelers miss the playoffs. Losing five in a row in 2009 seems impossible. Joe Burnett got hit in the chest and dropped the interception agains Oakland. If he makes that catch the Steelers go to the playoffs and the Rats stay home. That was like a root canal.

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll take the root canal.. :blink:

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I've been a fan since '72 but have not been to Pittsburgh (yet). I used to be a rabid, defend the team at any cost guy but, sadly, Goodell's rule changes have me getting ambivalent towards the NFL. Under Goodell, even the Browns and Chargers will someday win the SB. and Roger will be there to hand out juice boxes. That said, I'll be in my Ben jersey, Steelers hat with my TT in hand watching every Steelers game whether it be a win or loss. (thank you Sunday ticket!)

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I love all sports, I go to 15 Yankee games each season, I feel hockey is the best sport to see live, basketball is fun (in the 90's when the knicks were relevant anyway) but all that pales in comparison to being a Steeler fan. I saw the good times in the 70's, weathered the bad times in the 80's, watched them rise to power again in the 90's and then finally conquer the football world again in 2000's. If they lose a game it makes me so mad it ruins the rest of my day, as irrational as that is. During their 5 game losing streak a few season back I was shell shocked, I would swear that I am done watching this "garbage" and each week I was back on the couch cheering them on. No matter how much they lose or how bad things get, I will NEVER stop rooting for this team :herewego: I'd like to think I am a realist and fair in my assessment of them but always fall towards the glass half full side. Right now I see a very talented team playing inconsistent sloppy football. I am at a loss as to why but yet I still truly believe they are capable of reaching the SB again this year. Perhaps because I know if they play like they are capable of, that no team can stop them. :swordsman:

What kind of Steeler fan am I? A Steeler fan through and through till the day I die :herewego!: :drinks:

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Born in 68 to "mixed" parents - Dad is from Belle Vernon, Mom from NY. It was a fight early on for my loyalty and thank God the black & gold won out. I would hate myself as a Jets fan. I remember SB's in the 70's and remember getting my own TT when I was 11 from my pops for SB 14. It was a privilege and an honor to give that TT to my own 11 year old son as we got ready to watch our boys bring home Lombardi #6 in SB 43. Have lived all over the country and remained a Steelers fan through thick and thin even though I've never lived in Pittsburgh. Haven't been to Heinz yet even though I've been to Pittsburgh several times. Rocky Bleier was my childhood hero and I tip my hat to him for his service.

I like winning, but I can deal with losing as long as the effort and commitment is there. I am not a win-at-any-cost guy. And I believe that integrity, good sportsmanship, and good behavior matter. Poor behavior from primadonna athletes makes me sick. That said, I'm not perfect and worship a God of second chances and very much believe in redemption. I have very high expectations for the players, coaches, administrators, and owners of the Steelers. When they don't live up to my expectations, I get disappointed and feel compelled to offer constructive criticism, even though I realize I'm not an expert and I do trust the FO and owners. I'm probably harder on the coaches and have more constructive criticism for them - especially OL, having coached there for a few years in peewee football. Again, I'm not a professional and don't purport to know better than BA or MT, it's just that I get frustrated when we don't seem to adjust play calling to the talent we have on the field. I consider myself to be pragmatic and realistic and can sometimes come across as pessimistic. Even though I will not agree with all of you, I love all my brothers and sisters. And I really enjoy learning more about the team and the game from all of you.

Oh yeah, and fire Bruce Arians. :lolol:

12. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Really great thread here. :good: I like to think I'm analytical. I mean I'm definitely not as knowledgeable as someone like Del, but I like to see what works what doesn't and why. This is gonna show how young I am but I first started watching the Steelers in 05 when they were in the postseason and was very excited when they beat Seattle for their 5th ring. I can get kinda mad when they lose too though. I could barely watch our season opener against Baltimore. I don't mind Cleveland maybe just because they were never good in my lifetime but I hate the Patriots. That probably stems from my dad being a huge patriots fan and yes a little arrogant lol. Another thing I hate is Roger Goodell. He sucks. My favorite all time player is Jack Lambert and my favorite current is Troy but Pouncey is growing on me. I might be forgetting some stuff but that's pretty much the gist of it.

Oh yeah and...
    :herewego!:

13. Steelers Crybaby

Steelers Crybaby New Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was raised 30 miles out of Pittsburgh, have now moved to Erie. Up here, the NFL has decided we are Bills fans-- I will NEVER watch the Bills unless they are playing Pittsburgh! In fact, I NEVER watch any other team unless they are playing Pittsburgh. That map most weeks is breaking my heart. I want to watch my Steelers in my home without the distractions that occur in bars, restaurants, etc. It's not fair as there are far more Steeler fans here than there are Bills or Browns fans.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I feel your pain. The networks think everyone in Tennesse love the Titans so we get a major dose of those losers. Along with Atl, Carolina and Jax. I live 2.5 hours from Nashville, Atlanta, and Charlotte. At least our team is good enough to get a more prime time games each year than the average. And on a positive note, the Bills did beat the filthy rotten cheatin arse patsies, so thats a plus!

15. steelranger

steelranger Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This thread is a good read so far and the "new" Mboard (for me anyways) is sweet.

"What kind of fan am I?" I guess a little of a lot of what has been posted already. Born and raised in Upstate NY, been a Steeler fan from the time I realized what football was........luckily I grew up in the 70s. My football heros wore Black & Gold, Lambert, Blount, Ham, Harris and Blier. I appreciate a team that works hard on the field, leaving everything out there, no apologies, but at the end of the day being good sportmen and ambassadors for the team and league. The "flavor" of the team starts in the front office, through the coaching staff and is embodied in the players on the field......and THIS is one of the main sources of pride for me being a Steeler fan. In hindsight it was probably easy to become a fan during the 70s, but it's the legacy and organization that makes the bond unbreakable...for me anyways. I too bleed Black & Gold. I scream and yell at the TV, for good or bad. When they loose it ruins my week, especially when the reason is poor execution or play. Last years Super Bowl loss was unbareable, not just because of the loss but the manner. Four turnovers and a last O drive that was physically painful to watch. I went into a February funk, threw all my Steeler paraphenalia into a box and tossed it in a closet for months. Expectations are high because the Steeler Bar is set so high. I try to always be optimistic in the their chances because they are the Steelers, but am at heart a realist and will call it like I see it. No bandwagons are allowed here, the entire family roots for THE TEAM, regardless of how the season is going. I would rather watch a substandard Steeler team take the field than any other franchise period.

Being a Steeler fan in Upstate NY sucks because we NEVER receive network coverage, ever. Unless it's a primetime game. I try to watch every game if not on TV then snipe it on the web (a fan has to do what a fan has to do... :hehehe: ). I wish Direct TV would offer a single team version of Sunday Ticket (are you listening DTV??) Since I work most Sundays the full version is a complete waste of money for me. I have only had the privilege of seeing one live game, last Nov in Buffalo and it was an awesome experience. The tailgate rivalry was very spirited but also very respectful (I do have Bills tendencies truth be told, as long as it doesn't interfere with my Steelers). I will make a visit to the center of the Steeler universe someday, only a shame I never made it to Three Rivers. I have zero connection to Pittsburgh other than my devoted following of THE TEAM.

Best wishes to the rest of my Black & Gold brothers and sisters out there in Steeler Nation and thanks to who ever set up this new Mboard. I'm liking it already. :thumbsup:

GO STEELERS :herewego!:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I too wish I had seen Three Rivers, it is also IMO the coolest stadium name hands down. You should definitely go see Heinz Field, saw my first game last season and it's just the best experience, totally awesome :grin:

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I live in Knoxville,TN. I became a Steelers fan in '95 when I was 13. I LOVED Kordell. I LOVED Yancey. I LOVED Kevin Green. Been a fan ever since. I HATE when we lose! I'm also a member of firebrucearians.com. I have a 9 month old son and his name is BEN. When he was born I was wearing a Ben Roethlisberger shirt and had a terrible towel in our hospital room. He is named after Ben. I go to atleast one game a year. The best game I have ever been to is when we beat Minnesota in '09. I was 26 rows from the field and it was the biggest crowd in the history of Heinz! I will be crushed if my son turns out to be anything but a true die hard!

18. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm a realist. I get quite upset at times with our play calling and Ben holding on to the ball too long. I'm definitely not a homer, I will admit when we suck, but give the team it's props when we play good.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Is being a realist and being realistic the same thing?

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm currently chillin in bed with a roll of gauze shoved down my throat post-surgery to remove my wisdom teeth haha so I literally feel your pain.

In in regards to the thread, I'm a die hard as many of you all are. My dad got my brother and I into the Steelers games in the early 90's. He'd have us all riled up in our youth small Woodson/Bettis/Kordell jerseys waving our terrible towels all through out the basement. The earliest game I remember was a win in 94 against the Browns in the playoffs 29-9. We had the game taped on VHS with the title "the butt-kicking" taped to the front lol I cried when we lost Super Bowl XXX and celebrated joyously with the Super Bowl wins I've been lucky enough to experience. First time I ever broke anything in anger was the BS running into the kicker call vs the Titans in the playoffs.

I'm the type of guy that watches every snap of the game, whether we're winning or getting killed. Makes me feel like less of a fan if I don't support my team even if they're down 30 points in the 4th (I know that's not true but I'm weird like that). I like to think I know quite a bit about football (thanks to my little brother who was a fantastic Linebacker and Running Back) and try to know my stuff on a steeler related topic before opening my mouth haha emphasis on try. I'm an optimist to a fault, but only because I've been an athlete my whole life and that's just how I'm wired.

Steelers games for me (both live and on TV) are some of the best memories in my life. I almost always watch with my brother and my dad, and have even been lucky enough to watch all of this season with my grandpa as well. I get to share these experiences with tons of great people (yourselves included), and I will literally be a Steeler fan till I die. Go Burgh!

21. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm just an old life long fan. just depends on what day it is. I always love them but can get mad as he** at them while still loving them. I expect perfection from them because they are capable of it. I'm spoiled by their success and always will be. I want to be the best fan I can be and want them to be the best team they can be. I've seen them bad, I've seen them good since the early 60's and I like the good far better than the bad. I have done football all my life and am blessed by that. I played for perfection and coach for perfection, so being a fan I also want perfection, but I know it's a hard road traveled to achieve that and never want them or me to stop trying for it. we have more super bowl trophies than anyone and that alone makes us expect more. we all want the same thing for this team but just have different ways of getting to the same point. GO Stillers. good thread Ray.:smiley1::cool:

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Amazing post you described myself to a T. Really nice job you saved me the time of explaining my fanaticism.:applaud::drinks::towel:

24. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Up vote this thread!
    grew up in south central Ohio, Bungles territory, I became a Steelers fan, brother a Houston Oilers fan ( go figure). And like most on here, I am a fan of the black and gold til the end. I have watched the Steelrs play in Riverfront ( My first Steelers game, Merrill Hoge caught a TD), saw them play at Paul Brown, and saw them play at Arrowhead. Next year, God willing, I will see them play at Heinz.

25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I went to many games at TRS. That place was probably louder than the Seahawks stadium is today. Remember the bad times (Mark Malone era) as well as the great times. One particular time the Steelers just scored late in the 4th to take the lead and the Defense was coming on the field and I literally was vertically moving up and down nearly a half foot on those old metal extended bleachers. That place was shaking Big Time!

BTW- Great topic and will comment later but wanted to chime in on the TRS comment.