1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT IS YOUR GAME PLAN TO STOP THE PATS?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am of the belief that NE OL is there weak link, we must
    be able to find away to get to Tom Brady quickly to throw off his timing in the
    dink and dunk. I hope our defensive coaches devise such a plan. We can do it,
    we must be prepared we must also be leery of TE, and RB's in pass patterns.
    ATTACK GO STEELERS.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We can start by not conceding 7-8 yard throws on every damned down like we seem to always do against the Pats (except for the one time we didn't... and won).

NE is going to score. They're going to move the ball. There's little we can do to "stop" them. But we can contain them. Hopefully hold them a few times to FGs. We should be hitting Brady every chance we get. Sacks will be hard because his release is so fast. But knock him around a little, and he gets frustrated. Jam their receivers at the line. Don't allow the timing stuff. They don't make many mistakes. But if we can frustrate them enough, maybe we can force a couple... and that could be the whole difference. Discipline, more than anything, will be crucial on both sides of the ball.

Offensively, NO STUPID MISTAKES! This means you, Ben. I love you, but brother, you know you can be stubborn and try to force things now and then. This team will eat us alive if we do. Take what they give us. Get them on their heels a bit. If Bell runs well, we have to use some PA. Nothing fancy. Nothing cute. Run it at them, and when they cheat up, make them pay. Use their game plan a bit with quick slants and underneath stuff. We don't have to go bombs away... not until they're ripe for it. Use Bell coming out of the backfield in the passing game more.

But that's just a weekend warrior fan's perspective. I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn. So I'm probably wrong about most of it... except the damned cushions and conceding yards. Stop that! (Yes, it hasn't been nearly as egregious lately. But for some reason, this team puckers up and backs up against the Pats. And we know that doesn't work).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been thinking just what we need to do and I have come up with one thing that I feel is very key.......Hit Brady Hit Brady and Hit Brady. Now the question is if we can't get to him early is it worth a roughing the passer penalty? I saw some stat on Brady vs the Steelers at home and they are sick. Brady looked like crap last week vs the Texans why cause they hit him.

On the other side of the ball we need the good Ben, we need the Ben from the 4th quarter of the Raven game. That short dink and dunk game is great and we have the talent to run it even if they take AB out of the game. jmo

4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Beat up Brady, all else will follow

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Win the battle of the 3rd quarter. Patriots usually annihilate opponents in the 3rd. Hold the Pats to 7 points or under in the 3rd and there's a chance.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Win in the trenches, control the line of scrimmage. One thing that isn't being talked about much (at least that I have seen) is how well our line is performing.

Unleash JH and Bud, make Brady cry, make him hurt, make him run for his life. If we don't get pressure on this guy, going to be a long day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    keep brady on the bench and score 7's when we have the ball.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    what the hell man lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Bell bell and more bell.long time consuming drives that end in points. Every drive must have points. To echo Mac, you beat Brady by not letting him play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Same as any team. Make them one dimensional. Shut down their run game, don't give their defense anything. If they're going to throw on us, make sure they're throwing out of necessity rather than choice.

The pats are very good, but they're not on a different planet to the rest of the league. Houston showed that already.

11. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just really hope we play some bump and run !!
    I mean come on,,don't give these quick shifty guys a free release off the line ..
    Once you do that ,you lost already ,,they run 2 yard slants none stop..
    Jam the suckers at the line ,they aren't gonna run past ya ,thats not their game ..
    Jam,Jam,Jam !!

• Like Like x 2
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Play fundemental football and execute your assignments.

Essentially do what you have been doing that got yourself here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Definitely need to get the run game going. Oline has to play smashmouth football! 7 to 9 minute drives and score points keeps Brady on the bench. When Brady is out there we must have a big push up the middle. Watch the Houston game and other games where they struggled, the pressure is usually up the gut. If he has to move to his right or left because of pressure up the middle, the timing is off for them and he isn't as good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree. Blitzing would be dumb, he eats that for breakfast. That's why zone blitz would do nothing to him. rushing from the edge doesnt work either, its all interior pressure to collapse the pocket. Although rushing from the edge on the blind side while blowing him up works too

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They do not have good receivers. Now is the time to play man and get physical with the receivers at the line. Match Shazier with Edelman and Bennett a lot. This should slow things down for them and increase the pressure on Brady. We need to get very physical with them. I think they're going to rely on Lewis and White a lot and they do so many different things so it's really hard to game plan for those guys. You just have to play disciplined defence and we'll stop them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    The Outlaw - get him involved often and early.

Hamilton quick passes across the middle

Bell out of the backfield

• Like Like x 1
  17. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Agreed, it always seemed like Ben went to Heath a ton in the patriots matchups and he was always open.

Jam the WR's at the line and hit Brady. Cockrell and Burns are big and physical enough to jam them. Gay is too.

18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

yes the Brady's glory holes :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelersWorld

SteelersWorld Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Just remember that the patriots are not gods. They are just a football team - talented, disciplined, and well-coached, surely - but just another football team. We know what they are going to do - we just have to disrupt it. And the coaching staff if mostly responsible for getting us ready to do that. That and the players need to step up and do their jobs!

We most definitely have the talent to win this. Just leave it all on the field.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Hold for a few red zone FGs, Score to keep pace, have the ball last.

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My game plan:

Wear my away jersey
    Have a terrible towel next to a beer
    Have the game day thread open
    And cheer, cheer, cheer

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep Brady pressured and then keep him off the field as much as possible.

Oh yeah, and score TDs instead of just FGs.

23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    being up by 10 of course to ease our hearts

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Defensively: Blitz the hell out of their interior Oline.

Texas had some success with this and it rattled Brady a bit. I would cross blitz Timmons and Shazier often. I would even bring Davis right down the middle. Let the OLBs drop back to cover the middle.

Patriots will get their points. We need to force them into mistakes. We need to create 3 turnovers.

Offensively: PLAY ACTION!

I think Belichick is going to concede to our ground game. He's going to let Bell run and try to clamp down in the red zone like the Chiefs did.

We NEED to take advantage of big plays on play action if this is the case.

We are going to need to score atleast 30 points to win this game. Need to get TDS!

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How ? That is the question..