1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the story on Washington?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rocketdog, Oct 16, 2018.

1. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    His name is hardly called. Is he not getting opened? I thought he was supposed to be fast. He is our #3 receiver correct? Rookie blues? It would be nice to have to have someone stretch the field.
    In the Bungal game, I thought if he would of thrown a block for AB down around the ten, AB would of scored on that long catch and run. Washington just sort of got out of the way. Maybe I'm wrong.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's hard to see what happened with Washington and Jackson on the play with Brown. The two of them were alone deep down field for a while before Brown got there. That's a long time to engage a defender.

He did have a chance to go up and fight for one deep ball Sunday and didn't get it done. He really hasn't done much, though to be fair, the tight ends are taking up much of the third receiver slack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Hasn’t done much

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I heard a film analyst saying the other day that he's not doing enough to create separation. When he's open, he makes plays, but the separation has been tough. It also has hurt him that JuJu, AB and Vance have been so good.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bryant and Smith-Schuster didn't do much their first 8 games either. It's a pattern with rookie WRs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Washington will be fine. There just aren't enough balls to go around this year. We are running two tight end sets more often this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It isn't like he is dropping catchable balls. On the deep throws to him that I remember he had no chance at all.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think I read that he was only in like 11 offensive snaps. Hard to get many looks when your in only 11 snaps.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Part of being a good WR is the ability to get separation. With that said, he's a rookie and WR's sometimes take years to develop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    He will be a stud when his time comes.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe he was overrated coming out of the BIG XII, they play no defense in that conference. He didn't run that well at the combine, to be considered a NFL deep threat. He's going up against the opponent's 3rd best CB, so there's no excuse for him not to get open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Agreed but I haven't watched the all 22 so I don't know whether he is failing to get open or just not getting looks from Ben.

13. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    He simply isn't fast enough (4.55 40) or tall enough (5'10.5) to be a NFL deep threat. Steelers usually rock at drafting WRs but I think this was a miss. He is built like a RB but plays WR. He can't get separation because he's too short and slow.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes... and this is a good thing. Steelers need to establish threat of TEs in passing game. This will help Conner, AB and JuJu. We have 1 great TE in McDonald and two good ones in James and Grimble. Even Bucky Hodges on the practice squad could do some damage if he's called on... he played well in preseason.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The explanation I read was that he has an extra gear once he gets going, which helped him create separation on deep balls in college. He also goes up and fights for the ball well, which we have seen in preseason and a couple of times in the regular season. Even though he is much shorter, he is far better at fighting for a contested ball than Bryant.

Your concerns are legitimate, but it's a bit early to call the guy a bust.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    I didn't call him a bust. Big 12 defenses are almost non-existent though. It will be much harder for him to separate in the NFL. Anquan Boldin was a slow WR but he was also 6'2 and built like a tank and extreme physical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Give it time. I'm expecting a big play out of the guy. I think he is still getting used to Ben. I guess the chemistry he had with Rudolph was great. Even AB was saying how good of chemistry they had in camp together.

18. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would bring in Dez for the last half of the season. At least for a look. He could thrive with AB and JuJu getting most of the attention.

HACK

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    AB says hi. Seriously though, his size and speed are pretty similar to Brown's. I think AB was slightly under 4.5, coming out of college? Not a huge difference. Give him a chance.

20. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    Similar size yes. AB ran a 4.47 at his pro day though...much faster and quicker than Washington. Also, AB was a 6th rounder...not a 2nd rounder.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's only gotten 13 targets all year. He doesn't find himself in the same favorable situation as JuJu did last season. Washington has JuJu in front of him whereas JuJu had an ineffective Bryant in front of him. Add Conner into the mix plus Vance/JJ, his chances will be limited.

Receivers normally start contributing second half of the season. We'll see if things pick up for him then.

22. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    AB is quicker, no doubt, but maybe Washington has better deep speed? A 2nd gear? We just haven't seen enough of him yet, to make a determination. I liked how he looked in preseason.

Just for clarification, beyond measurables, I'm in no way comparing Washington to AB. If Washington can be half as productive as AB, I'd be pretty happy.

23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    One thing to consider is Ben has not thrown the long ball as well over the past couple of years. Factor in the elbow issue and his accuracy could be a factor.

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Washington ran in the 4.4s as well at his pro day

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    That's what all the girls were saying about you in Kindergarten Jim. :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1