1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the NUMBER ONE problem for this football team?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Oct 12, 2014.

1. The head coach

36 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. The coordinators/assistant coaches

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Talent at key positions

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. Poor drafting/free agent signings

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. The GM

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    O.K. I want dodge you again...Obviously it's the Owners because they have allowed Colbert to draft the wrong people and sign the wrong people ...He couldn't do it if they fired him... So the first person that should have been gone is Colbert, now DL needs to be gone ,he can't seem to adapt to the new game...Follow that by Coach T he can't get these guys on the same page or have them ready to play...

Finally if Haley can't figure out how to get his group to score then he needs to be gone as well...I would start with the top 2 this season and move down the list next season if things don't change...

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the one who is the talent evaluator .. i don't know if is more the gm the hc or ac

3. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Anybody who thinks a good defense will make for a dominent team in today's league is a bit dilusional. The league changed the game and the emphasis must be on scoring alot of points. Rules do not allow for smothering defenses any longer. Steeler fan had been spoiled by dominent defenses for several decades. As much as I love defensive football, it is basically gone. Watch other games - big plays and run gashes happen to all the teams. What the Steelers can't seem to do is put up points with the offense - which is a must in today's league.

4. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  5. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    So what else is new? The top ranked teams in scoring pts per game are also leading record wise. But not in all cases. FB is still a team game. I took a look at the top 12 teams in points scored, plus their overall Offensive and Defensive rankings. The obvious held true in most cases but not all. Detroit at 4-2 was in the bottom grouping but their #1 overall D ranking and #1 ranking in pts allowed saved them. Not so with Atlanta that ranked #5 in pts scored but their 29th overall D and 31st ranking in points allowed got them a 2-4 record. Hey! They beat Tampa Bay. Take a look. There are probably some other conclusions to be made there.

Also: Not much of a stats person. Now I am even less of one. Pit is offensively in the top ten in almost all categories. TOP 32:26/6th Total O 6th overall. Note IND and PHI the top two scoring teams are #13 and #24 in overall D ranking. Pit is #12. Really, isn't the #1 reason obvious?

Top 12 pts----D rk ---DPts
    scored p/g---overall-Allowed p/g

IND - 4-2 -----13------16
    PHI - 5-1 ------24-----13
    DEN - 4-1 -----4--------7
    DAL - 5-1------15-------8
    ATL - 2-4 ----- 31------29
    BAL - 4-2 ------17-------3
    SD -- 5-1 ------3--------2
    GB -- 4-2 ------19------12
    CIN - 3-1-1----28-------14
    CLE - 3-2 ------29------17
    NE -- 4-2 ------5--------11
    SEA - 3-2 ------9-------14

Bottom 12

JAX - 0-6 ------30-------31
    OAK -0-5 ------21-------26
    NYJ - 1-5 -------6-------25
    TEN - 2-4 ------20------23
    MIN - 2-4 -------8------ 20
    DET - 4-2 -------1--------1
    BUF - 3-3 ------11--------8
    TB -- 1-5 -------32------32
    STL - 1-4 -------18------30
    PIT - 3-3 -------12-------19
    WAS - 1-5 ------10------27
    HOU - 3-3 ------27-------4

JAX is #32 PIT #23 HOU #21 IND #1 SEA #12 btw: I was simply going to reply Get rid of ______! But since I have not really watched the games closely I opted for a positive approach.:smiley1:

6. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    Okay! The previous reply was too technical. Let's simplify. A lot of posters are not sure of their choices. I think I have it. The number 1 problem is that the Numbers 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all so very close that is is hard to pinpoint #1.

But seriously, I am going to repost my reply to the thread about more use of other players on bench. The other thread was burned out and I really am concerned about the Run D and have been not a fan of Worilds for a long time and the truth is Timmons was never known as a run stopping LB in the first place. Here is the repost.

---Again a team ran all over Pit when they ran to the right. How so? Is this anything to do with Worilds? Or does the LILB have some responsibility there? Hard to win any game with that problem.

Anyone got any idea how to correct this problem, or at least slow it down to a mini-avalanche?

Actually, other areas are not much harder to run on but when teams go right it seems like more gravy. Really Pit should notice this don't you think?

I definitely remember that in the pre-hire coach talk it was mentioned that Minnesota was excellent at stopping the run. But, as many detractors pointed out, that could have been because the Vikings pass D was horrific and there was no need to test the run. Or maybe it was the other way around I'm not positive, but ITS.

But anyhow, if someone figures out how to stop teams from running at will, it would at least help a little bit. Then you can have some time to work on a half dozen or so other areas.

My idea may be too simplistic. But, I figure there is usually only one guy back there who can get the ball. Get him. WTF can be so hard about that? If he doesn't get the ball get the other guy. That's it!

All other suggestions to improve this area and all solutions to the problem are welcome.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sorry, have a job doing that already, but if they call I might consider it. I'm sure kev has me on speed dial.:lolol::cool:

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I picked GM days ago

I change my mind

IT'S BEN !!!

god I hope Joey Porter goes jacks his ass up

AGAIN!!!

9. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:
    I have been thinking about this all week, but never really had time to post my response to it...

What Hawkeye said, is pretty darn close to what I was thinking...

The answer that wasn`t in the "poll" was, "mentality"!

I was having a hard time figuring out exactly how to describe what I meant by that...

Not just that we were "flat"...

Not just that we seemed to take the field expecting to win, because we were the "STEELERS", against "weaker" teams,...
    But, a lack of "hunger", by MOST players on the team...

The feeling that they mostly want to get their paychecks, as opposed to getting Lombardi`s...

And, IF they do get behind, no confidence, that the other side of the ball, will pick them up, and help them get the win...

Like I said, I had a hard time putting it into words, But, what Hawkeye said, is pretty much what I was thinkin...

You can blame that on the coach, if you want, but he can`t make the players WANT to play...

They have to take that upon themselves, and I still believe the talent is there...

They just need the desire!

GO STEELERS!

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    THE CHEMISTRY :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/18/chemistry-concerns-caused-seahawks-to-dump-harvin/

11. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    shaner82 said: "We still have a bad Oline despite the large number of players we have drafted to try to fix the problem."

The O-line has improved considerably but still has room for more. Tonight will be yet another test. The reason I think this is #1 is because when the O line is functioning so many other parts get it together. How I came to this conclusion was by accident. I posted the following in another thread because it sort of woke me up.

---Before last weeks game I was looking for a tape to use for the game. I grabbed
    one I thought had an old movie on it and put it in the VCR. It was a Pit game
    probably from 2001 or so. The O line was Wayne Gandy, Alan Faneca, Jeff
    Hartings, [Dawson has just retired] Rich Tylski [FA picked up from JAX, probably
    about the 4th or 5th shot at strengthening that spot and a pretty darn good
    player], also Marvel Smith. I watched this group demolish the D for about 10 or
    15 minutes. Then a couple a major penalties put them in a 3rd and very long
    situation. The QB dropped back and looked down field, and looked and looked
    again. Then he took another long look and threw a medium-deep pass down the
    right sideline to someone, you could not tell who since there was a guy in front
    of him. There also was a guy right behind him too. Then a 3rd guy came across
    and went to intercept the pass but it went right through his hands and OB. [Ike
    would have had it for sure] Oh! There was a 4th defender nearby just in case.
    Thought I would mention this for those who at times are clamoring for QB
    changes.--- [an you imagine the results if BR had this luxury?]

Pit still won the game. Gandy, Faneca, Hartings, Tylski, M. Smith. My stomach turned over. That was an exceptional group. If the current group can get close to that level and I think it will, then many other things will fall in place. At least it will buy some time to work on other areas shaner 82 mentioned.

Romans 5:8 said: "I think the biggest problem is that we can't stop the run with our front 7. As a result, we must commit a safety to keep from getting gashed in the run game (Troy). This leads to less safety help on the back-end, which exposes our less than good corner play and results in explosive plays against us.

---Real close #2 by a nose.

Get these things working tonight and quiet this way too much negativity.