1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the NUMBER ONE problem for this football team?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Oct 12, 2014.

1. The head coach

36 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. The coordinators/assistant coaches

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Talent at key positions

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. Poor drafting/free agent signings

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. The GM

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin never has this team prepared anymore. Bring in some body that the team will actually go out and play hard for.

DISGUSTING to lose that bad to Cleveland.

2. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    Could it be Obama??????????

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is true!

4. aregeejay

aregeejay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2014
    I voted "head coach," but in reality, I blame the ENTIRE STAFF. Since Tomlin is the head coach, he bears the most responsibility. The Steelers' problems are a plethora of failures, from scoring in the redzone, defense, offense, clock management, discipline, attitude, chutzpa, tenacity....you name it. I had some hopes for this year. The offensive line was healthy, Roethlisberger and Haley "seemed" to agree to work as a team, the receivers corps was young, but hungry, even the defense, tho young, had some potential. I was not prepared for total FAILURE. This team is totally inept. The team is never, never prepared. That's a head coaching problem that hasn't been corrected under Tomlin. I really feel a 4-12 season is upon us, and I have no realistic hope that it will change for the next few years. I am so tired of Tomlin's press cliches I could spit....."obviously" the Steeler "standard" has either changed or Tomlin hasn't got a clue. These beliefs got me a week's ban on another site, but then, the TRUTH hurts.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :applaud: Great first post! Couldn't of said it better myself,saved me a lot of typing. Welcome aboard!

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think everybody would know how I voted,We need a leader with vision of how to return the Steelers to greatness and get control of the locker room again.The Steelers need a big attitude adjustment. I would hope Dan Rooney would be involved if he is even capable of it. I am afraid of Art II football decision making ability.
    It may take a house cleaning.I would start the search process immediatley as to get qualified candidates.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There isn't just one problem, not even close. The biggest problem though is the head coach. Ultimately he's responsible for everything that happens on that football field. He's responsible for execution via practices. He's responsible for the success or failure of his assistant coaches. He has a huge hand in which players are drafted and signed as free agents. He's responsible for literally everything. He has done nothing to improve any aspect of this team over the last 4 years and he has allowed us to get worse every single year since 2008 (some will point to the SB in 2010, but I think we were a good team that simply got lucky to find ourselves in the SB that year).

We still have a bad Oline despite the large number of players we have drafted to try to fix the problem. Our Dline is horrendous, despite drafting numerous guys high. Our LB's are bad despite drafting numerous guys. Our DB's are terrible, once again, despite drafting or signing numerous guys. Clearly the players are the problem, but the fact that so many of them are the problem, and the fact that they have continued to be the problem for so long points to the head coach.

8. aregeejay

aregeejay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks! I edited a couple of things....after I realized my error in a "4-16" season record! I know Goodell wants to add a couple of games to the regular season, but fortunately that hasn't happened yet!!

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sadly mine is and it's all of the above ....I had high hopes for Tomlin ,but I can't see him righting the ship ...No one pulled Wheaton ? Poor clock management ...No effort to trade or sign a CB in multiple situations . No effort to draft or acquire real D.L. or real O.L. tackles....This Team has so many holes and we need a full rebuild we need at least 8 spots upgraded just to be a solid team...

If Flacco can throw for 5 TD'S then we can find another QB to fill Ben's spot ....

10. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    The problem with this team is they just let cleveland make poo poo on them.

11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    All of the above.

Fire the lot of them.

12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Talent at key positions, which to me are QB, LT, NT and OLB.

Our franchise QB has always struggled to score pts in the red zone. He's one of the best, but we need to score more pts.
    Our starting LT is average at best. Our QB has to know that at least one lane is protected. We need a LT that can shut down that side.
    McClendon is not the anchor we need at NT. He's playing admirably but our NT has to be dominant for the 3-4 to have a solid foundation.
    Our OLB's just can't get it done. 3-4 edge rushers have to be capable of overcoming poor DL play.

13. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Talent in key positions. We only have two decent players on the OL. We have Brown as the clear number one receiver but there's really no other threat at WR other than him. I love Heath but it would be nice to have an athletic TE that can stretch the field. For whatever reason our front seven just isn't getting it done weather it's the scheme or the players I just don't know but we allow QB's to sit back there and pick us apart. Then when you combine a week pass rush with an absolutely awful secondary it's going to get ugly fast. Troy for some reason still thinks he's superman out there and constantly takes himself out of plays on a regular basis. Gay, Allen, Mitchell flat out stink, nothing much else to say about them.

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    IMO, coaching is far and away the one to blame. No one gets a free pass on this one. I live here in Cowboy country and it s**cks right now. Their defense was supposed to be in shambles, they let go of DeMarcus Ware, they lost their best defensive starter in Sean Lee, yet they managed to stop Russell Wilson and the Seahawks today. Someone in that defensive coaching staff is coaching out of their minds right now, and they're doing it with nobodys.

Spartacus

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is there have been some guys that look like they want to at least leave it all out on the field that this team cuts because the veterans are more NFL ready. The mistakes we're seeing are mistakes the rookie undrafted free agents would be making, but they at least have an excuse and we have reason to believe they may get better with reps.

To expect these veterans to get better with more reps seeing the mistakes they're making is laughable!

16. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    TOMLIN, the other coaches work for him. Buck has gotta stop with the HC.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I think this would be mine as well. I voted for bad drafting and free agent signing as #1 among a whole host of issues, but when there are a whole host of issues with an organization you need to look to the top of the house.

Since Art II isn't going anywhere, it's time to look to Colbert and Tomlin's positions as the most sensible changes to make this offseason to try and right the ship.

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Gotta agree with ttf, go to the top.....art II and Tomlin. I will give credit that they have assembled what appears to be a good team of coaches, so surprising that they can't perform any better.

and after two weeks of 10 offensive points, I think Haley needs to go. Gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but it almost seems like Ben isn't being Ben, and while I'd love to see effective running..... I don't want to keep seeing bad 3 and out run only drives.

19. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I did not vote for any of the above. I haven't read the responses yet.

Biggest problem is this teams cannot score points.

In today's NFL you must be able to score points. In every game except 2 this week, the winning team scored 27 or more points. In todays league, you must be able to outs ore opponents. Offense wins in this league. Very few defenses will not give up points due to the rules and the changing of the game toward high scoring. While ther will be a few defensive game games here or there, most will require out scoring the opponent.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. Not to state the obvious, but had we got TDs and not FGs in the 1st quarter, that domination in yardage turns into a 14-0 lead. This means we can set up less against the run and more on Jordan Cameron. I'm not saying the Browns wouldn't still have torn the defense apart, but at least the game would be on.

Watching this team get into the red zone is like watching a balloon deflate. We move the ball with ease between the 20s, then you see the life and confidence just go once we're near the goal-line (or near our own goal-line).

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1. Lack of leadership by players. No Joey Porter, Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, James Farrior, type of leadership players.
    2. We can't rush the passer, and we can't defend the pass. It's how you allow 30 plus points scored in today's NFL.
    3.We can't produce turnovers see above #2 to get to this.
    4. Offense inconsistency and identity. One week we want to throw it 40 times the next week we want to rush it 40 times. Need more synergy in the play calling.
    5. Red Zone offense/ play calling in general.

22. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm with you on this. I want to say its Dumblin but then I think... Someone thought it good to hire him, and that someone must have had a decision making process that involved others? So who?

Lets blame his Dad... for not teaching how to stratagize... Or his first coaching position's head coach?

But when talent doesn't produce it is most often becasue of a management decision that has left the talent feeling uninspired.

23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    THIS, on defense we have struggled since Farrior left, legends say that he was a smart cookie, a Dick LeBeau extension onto the field..... Not sure anyone else commands that type of respect on our roster right now. Same can be said with Hines retiring on offense.

24. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I have it figured out!!!

Completely know the answer to all the problems of the team!!

Its so obvious, and yet no one else saw it??

I must be very smart...

Too many tattoos!! The ink is f$^%$ing with their brains!

25. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014