1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What if the Steelers played with deflated balls?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 21, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think maybe your Patriots bias is showing just a little bit. :lolol:

I find it hard to believe that the most notoriously hyper-controlling, all knowing coach in the league has never talked to a player about ball pressure.

As to Theisman- why would he say that? It absolutely makes a difference. http://thesteelersfans.com/4158/videos-ravens-tipped-colts-bettis-can-tell-psi-touch/

Bill's presser was pretty good up until he tried to insinuate that the ball pressure fiasco was a result of atmospheric changes because they only inflate to the minimum requirement. His example had a difference of .2 or .3, which is likely, though the balls were a couple pounds under inflated, so...

To me, he seemed pretty believable, though by blocking all the questions at the end, it kind of took away from that. He did seem to basically pass the buck to Tom Brady, though, and Tom will probably pass the buck to the ball boy, who will likely fall on the sword in the end, who will probably get an all expense paid trip to Harvard someday courtesy of the Kraft foundation. I'm only half joking. :)

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No I really am not trying to be bias here. I seriously think it's pretty crappy if they did it on purpose. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I think Bill is a good enough coach and Tom is a good enough qb that they don't need to do crap like this. There's just no way that I can believe the ball boys took it upon themselves to do this. Theisman DID say that everyone grips the ball differently and that might account for why he said it made no difference. He said it just a few minutes ago during an interview with Bill Hemmer right after the presser. I also agree about Bill being hands on with everything and I would be surprised if there's ANYTHING he hadn't thought of. Although he said he actually got the idea for late eligible reports from another team earlier this year. I just think it's odd that the rats told another team instead of telling the league. Doesn't that seem a little suspicious to you also? I could just see this as them trying to "get back" at Bill or whatever.

3. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Actually what he said was "I spend all week dicking with the condition of practice balls, but I pay absolutely no attention to the condition of game balls. I don't even know what shape they are."

Or at least that was it in a nutshell. The gullibility of the media is mind blowing.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Doesn't matter if they are good enough to win without it, BB and I'm sure Brady as well are people who will do whatever it takes to win and will take any edge they can get. Thats what it boils down to. Kraft had asked BB during spygate how much of an advantage did it give you and BB said minimal and Kraft said, then you are an idiot. But thats the mindset BB has, whatever it takes and any edge he can create.

You can bet this has been going on for a while now. What else to they do that we don't know about?

I didn't feel this way before but now I hope Seattle kills them, I just have no love for Seattle either but now I don't care.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  6. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    As Mike & Mike pointed out, the Patriots celebrate the infamous snow plow game. The culture of cheating starts at the top.

7. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    :roflmao:

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Bus stated recently its far easier to hold on to a deflated ball.. Obviously this would indeed make it easier for a running back..

I think I agree with others here whether or not it ultimately changed the course of a game it's still cheating and wrong. If NE wants to come out and say publicly it did not matter to the outcome of the game they are still in denial. Cheating is cheating regardless of the consequences. If they did cheat knowingly then they do believe under deflated balls will make a difference. Otherwise why else would they do it.

I really hate the Patriots and totally do not understand a team of this caliber would even bother to cheat. They have alot of talent both from a coaching and player perspective.

Now back to hating the Patriots lol

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    It is total bunk like you said TTF. Maybe they should start using nitrogen in the footballs like they do for aircraft and automobile tires lol.. Less expansion and contraction haha

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    But if other teams have noticed it I don't understand why they haven't taken it to the league. That's the question I would like to have an answer to. I wish someone would ask the idiot in Baltimore why he didn't say anything? He was all sanctimonious after the pats beat them as far as the eligible receivers go and that was definitely within the rules. So if he thought he was doing something OUTside the rules why in the crap would he call the Colts and tell them and not call the league? However, one thing I read the other day said that Jackson picked Brady, who then told the Colts ball boys, who then told Pagano, who then told the Colts GM, who then told the league and this was all during the game and that's why they took that one ball off the field. It was just assumed that it was a K ball but it was actually taken off out of suspicion. So according to that story it wasn't the rats that told the Colts. Who knows? But if the rats DIDN'T take it to the league then they are even more scummy and just as scummy as the pats.

11. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The ball being deflated might not make a difference to Thesiman, but it might to others, including Brady, who lobbied for rules changes regarding home/away sets of balls. Each QB has a different grip. Evidently, Brady has small hands.

Brady is a scumbag. He always has been, and (perhaps until now) the media has always turned away from his transgressions and treated him like the Golden Boy. Whining to the media about disrespect (2005). Refusing to shake Manning's hand after AFCCG loss (2006). Getting in Anthony Thomas's face after TD pass (2007). Staying on the field and running up the score on opponents throughout 2007. Refusing to greet Eli and providing sarcastic response to Plaxico's prediction (SB XLII). Calling cops on a homeless man who took his gold-plated planting pots that were left out and that the man thought was trash--and then, after learning the man was homeless and confused, refused to drop charges. Trash talking the Jets all game long (caught on camera) on Thanksgiving night (2010). The "mad spike" at Heinz Field (2010). Giselle's whining and general bad behavior after SB loss (while not Brady, her behavior reflects a sense of entitlement that she no doubt got from her man).

Make no mistake, he's an arrogant prig who'd be nothing more than a "pretty good" QB with any other NFL team.

12. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course he does. All you have to do is see where on the ball he grips it. If he was any further back, it would just drop out of his hand. Classic "I can't grip it properly" grip.

Full disclosure: I grip regulation balls the same way. I have beefy hands, but not a very large finger span.

I also like them slightly deflated... ;)

Then again, I'm only 5'7'' and not a professional. :lolol:

13. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I think we all know how this will go down. The ball boys (sacrificial lambs) will get fingered and accused of acting on their own. And that will be the end of it.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Exactly.

I just read that article.

Thought it was funny that he claims that until recently he had no knowledge of the process of prepping the game balls, but just last week knew the rules in depth enough to devise a deceptive play that skirted the limits of the rules. :rolleyes:

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    bottom line is they cheat, have always cheated, cost us trips to the super bowl, we hate them, kick them out of the league.:smiley1::cool:

16. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I have no problem gripping my balls and they are regulation and my hands are normal sized. :eek:

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so your about a half a foot taller than BFT?:smiley1::cool:

18. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I never knew you were Marshawn Lynch! ;)

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Who said other teams have noticed it?

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They are saying the Ravens actually told the Colts to be on the lookout for it.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It was actually Anthony SMITH whose face he got in and that was a thing of beauty. That moron ran his mouth and got what came to him. I don't feel sorry for any player that runs their mouth and gets pwnd. Also Smith was benched not long after that game so that guy shouldn't have even been on the field at all. I also don't care about "running up the score" because it is as much the defenses job to stop a team as it is the offense's job to score. If he wants to spike it hard then the defense needs to keep him out of the endzone. The dude is a competitor hard core and I wish we had a few like him. He doesn't lose and play nice. He hates it and you can see it all over him. That is admirable if you ask me. Why do you think Peyton has so many td passes? Because he never comes out of games and he keeps throwing it. If Brady is classless for that then so is Manning. I like Brady BUT if he was behind this then I think it is a total bush league move from him and he should be suspended and fined heavily.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Not THAT much. Although I love telling people that I'm 4ft 12in and just watch the baffled look that overtakes them. LOL. I'm actually 5'4 and a half. Well...with my shoes on anyway...

23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Brady? He probably gets to many manicures and has baby girly soft hands too.

7BurgerKing_TinyHands-360x203.jpg

24. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Actually that isn't true. Smith didn't run his mouth. He was asked by a reporter if he thought the Steelers would win (beat the undefeated Pats) and he said "Yes." He didn't make a big boasting statement, he didn't run his mouth. The right thing to say would have been something like "Hey we're a good team, we will play our best and if we do I think we got a shot." - but he was young and said "yes" - what was he going to say "No we are going to get our azz kicked." But it isn't like he ran his mouth.

Brady was a complete buffoon running up to him and showing no class. What was priceless is Silverback saw him ripping into Smith and walked over to Brady as if to say - "you got a problem" and Marsha immediately starting backing up as soon as he saw Harrison walk over.

25. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I will always remember when Dick LeBeau was interviewed by The Fan (Starkey) and was asked if he thought the Patriots taping the hand signals made any difference in them beating the Steelers and his response back was classic. No long winded answer, all LeBeau said was:

"Well, I can tell you one thing - it certainly didn't hurt their chances." .... i.e. they weren't doing it unless they felt they could get a competitive advantage.