1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What if the Steelers played with deflated balls?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 21, 2015.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Temperature of the ambient air would have an affect, but it would affect the Indy balls as well.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I posted this in a different thread, so pardon the double post.

I did the math, and the change in temp would only possibly change pressure .2 or .3 psi. I just read that it would have had to been -15 for such a drastic pressure decrease to be possible.

So, the change would be negligible, and is near negligible. If you've played football, you've probably never really noticed a difference in grip when playing outdoors. If it's a decent ball, it doesn't noticeably change. Unless you've got huge hands, a slightly under-inflated ball tends to be a little easier to grip...easier to catch and hold on to as well.

Like him or not, here's Mark Brunell talking about the difference on ESPN.

[video=youtube;ggJRF_Ylg1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggJRF_Ylg1g[/video]

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    of course on under inflated ball you can use fingers to get inside (a little) on the ball on hard ball you have to use more a big hands to control them . i was playing goalkeeper in soccer .and i prefered under inflated too . slow and softer to catch

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah they can and probably will try and blame it on some poor schlep. So now all of a sudden the "genius" who controls every aspect of his team is oblivious to it. The "great" QB also had no idea.......please.

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I just watched nfl live and they had 3 balls one over another under and one regulation . They asked Bettis and Brunell if they could tell diff and both picked all three correctly.

6. Steel Commando

Steel Commando Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Penalty for Belicheat and Marsha should be castration. Once that's done they will have no more balls to deflate.

7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Exactly.
    Some low level guy will take the fall and shield BB and Marsha from all responsibility.

8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    LOL just think if Brady didn't get picked, and the guy didnt give the ball to the equipment manager to save for him. we would have ever known anything about this,. I believe every thing happens for a reason. Lets say BB did not know abt the ball's ( which he had to ) You know damn well that Brady did,, and what does that say abt him.? Hopefully The NFL will severly punish the Pats for this..

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :lolol:

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I said during spygate and I will say it now, if it doesn't help they wouldn't do it. bottom line

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i still think they cheat the signal too ... the hawks need to change all the signals since the pats has browner knowing a lot of their playbook , and in case they were filmed too. hope carrol thinks about it

12. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I said the same thing to someone this morning...the current process creates so much extra work/confusion.

13. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    My take on all this is once a cheat always a cheat. My concern is Bellicheat, how many times has he cheated and didn't get caught. He has been caught twice, while many others never have been called out for cheating.....Makes me think about Blount walking off the field was a fix in, to get him back with the Patriots so they could get as much information from him about the Steelers in case they met them in the playoffs. I don't put anything past Bellicheat.

14. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    1. Reports are that at halftime, the refs had to re-inflate the eleven footballs that the Pats had. My question is this, and it's based on how angry the NFL seems to be: were the balls re-checked at the end of the game and again found to be deflated? There's no word on this yet, but it would be a serious matter, considering the Pats were a different team in the second half. If it was only in the first half that the Pats played with deflated footballs, then it didn't work so well for them.

2. Brian Dawkins: "What else are they doing that they haven't been caught for yet?" Yep.

3. I don't buy that the deflated footballs didn't help the Pats win, especially if we learn they used them in the second half, too--which I predict will be the case. It was a cold, windy, rainy night...Andrew Luck wasn't himself. The ball, perhaps? Brady was able to throw darts, in that weather. yes, it would have made the difference, even with that score. For sure, the Colts would have had a shot. One QB had a rock and the other had a Nerf.

4. BB should receive a one-year suspension.

5. Tom Brady's response on Monday looks even more arrogant and smug, in hindsight: "I have heard it all." Well, Tom, the allegations are true. You did have deflated footballs. You SOB.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Let's not forget that the under inflated balls would be easier to grip when running, and Blount has been known to fumble a bit. Also, remember that muffed punt by Cribbs where he seemed confused at how short the punt flew? Did that punt fly short and mess up Cribbs' perception because of underinflation?

I think it's pretty clear that the Pats win anyway. The Colts were psyched out before they even got on their plane in Indy. However, if the Pats did the same thing against the Rats, then I think it was likley the margin of victory.

any way you slice it, the NFL will give them another light slap on the wrist. Maybe Bellichick pays a 100k fine, and they lose a 7th round pick. Oh the horror....

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly and goodells whole premise that nothing was on the Spygate tapes that would of given them a advantage is pure bull****. The tapes would of served a greater purpose if left available for viewing to prove his point ,rather then destroy them and leave the findings still in doubt all these years later. This isn't just the second time they cheated,it's just the second time they were caught. What if this supposed non advantage of under inflated footballs helped them to secure home field advantage for the playoffs....we were one of a few teams only one game behind them. How much would a first round bye have helped us? Maybe Bell never gets hurt and we are still playing....it doesn't matter that they might not have needed to cheat to beat the Colts the fact is they did. Just like when a player gets caught for something the punishment needs to start right now!!!!!

17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    You've got to love this Homers scientific explanation.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ut-the-ball/Eocm5m29nIlh0HRBjFWsYO/story.html

He explains how the Deflatriots could have deflated the balls without touching them or cheating by heating them to the minimal (12.5) PSI inside where they are also checked. This would cause the pressure to drop when they got outside in the 'cold' temperature.

Here's the problem. In order for the balls to drop a minimum of 1 to 2 PSI, the temperature difference would have to be 30 degrees. It was 50 in Boston on Sunday. That means that the balls had to be inflated in at least an 80 degree room. Who the hell sets their thermostat to 80 degrees? And even that wouldn't be enough to get them to the -2 PSI they were tested at. In order for this scheme to be true, the Deflatriots would have had to not only inflate the ball to the minimum 12.5 PSI in a 91 degree room....THEY WOULD ALSO HAVE TO BE TESTED BY THE REFS in that room as well. So in order to this explanation to be true, the ball would have to have been inflated in a sauna, stored in the sauna, and then the refs brought into the sauna to test the balls. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Seriously? And the Homers of Boston are eating this up as the explanation.

18. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm so sick or brady and Belicheat

I hope the Seahawks beat The living crap out of them in the Super Bowl
    I hate to say this at this point I wish the damn ravens would've just beat them

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I believe rog goodell will destroy the balls. or use them as his own because he has none.

tom tom should be suspended from the SB and the beginning of next year as well as the center, they both handled the balls every play.
    BB should be banned from the NFL for his 2nd offense.
    the refs should be banned from the league since they also handled the balls every play at least once.
    kraft should be fined heavily and the team should lose every draft pick this year.
    just sayin.:smiley1::cool:

20. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I was rooting for the Ravens vs NE thinking they were then going to lose to Denver. If they beat NE they would be in the SB and that would suck. No one hates NE more than me, seeing I live here and was in MA when they beat us on their way to the SB. However, I'm in the mindset, if Brady wins #4, he kind of deserves it as an all time great. I will surely be rooting for Seattle, but I may be OK with Brady boy winning...just can't let him get #5.... That would be horrendous....though I don't see much competition from the AFC outside of the Ravens.

21. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    wrong thread, don't have a clue how that happened...

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    tom brady deserves nothing.:cool:

23. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

I had no problem rooting for the Ravens in that game. As much as I dislike Baltimore, I dislike the Pats ten-fold more.

24. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I like the way you think. :thumbs_up:

In all seriousness though, I do think that BB should be banned. I think that this IS that serious. And its not that deflating balls gives you a huge advantage, like knowing what the defense is calling, but its the blatant thumbing of his nose at the rules and the integrity of the game. Imagine the balls, imagine the chutzpah to pull something like this AFTER you tarnished the league with Spygate just a few years ago. The man should've been humbled, should have been respectful, should have been on the up and up, but wasn't. If BR can be suspended for 4 games because he is a repeat offender, then why not BB? IMO if he's not gone for at least a year it's a travesty and miscarriage of justice.

Unfortunately like you said, Roge has probably already destroyed the footballs and will give him a $25,000 fine and lose a compensatory pick.

25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    :this!: