1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What has Tomlin really done since Super Bowl 43?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jan 16, 2018.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If Blake Bortles and the Jags defense gets shredded by Brady and the Hoodie this thread will hold more weight for me.

Either way, the Steelers wouldn't have beat NE this year in Foxboro anyways with all the trash talking that would already be taking place from our team only. They'd all be in the film room making their plans for Minnesota.

The Jaguars will not be such fools. They may not win but I guarantee they will be prepared with a game plan situated to giving them their best shot at victory.

2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Right.

3. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    What would Tomlin do without Ben?
    We saw what Belichick did without Brady and with a team less talented than ours currently (10-6 record).
    We've seen other teams with average QBs make playoff runs and do pretty well for themselves. Does anyone honestly believe we would be above .500 over the past several years without someone the caliber of Ben QBing this team? Do you really believe Tomlin would know how to push the right buttons and make the right calls with an average QB? I have zero faith he would. His in-game management skills are extremely lacking imo. Lot's of head scratching decisions.. Not to mention his teams consistently playing down to inferior opponents.

4. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You left out the record in 2007 which I think was 10-6 for a total of 104 wins in a ten year span I'll take that.
    It might even be the second best in the NFL over that time frame, we all know who is first.

Tomlin is not perfect but almost every other team in the league has bottomed out at some point over the previous 10 years except for maybe GB and the Cheatriots.

So yeah I can live with 10 win seasons and only going down to 8 n 8 during a rebuild.

Green Bay played up the ten guys on the inury list but most were not starters. In that super bowl I remember for most of that game we had only two of the expected 5 starters on our Oline. And even with that situation it was our TE/FB that whiffed on a block of Mathews that caused the fumble that sealed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    3-5 playoff record enough said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Just making the playoffs is not acceptable anywhere. Everything you mentioned is very true. And he definitely needs to tighten the ship in those regards. Especially as the captain of the ship. Down right horrible mistakes in that interview and not reeling in those that were making predictions ahead of time.

All that said, Tomlin needs someone to stand by his side as an advisor for his late game decisions, someone like Tony Dungy, but Tomlin will have to have a few terrible seasons, mutiny in the ranks before they fire him.

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We could have Marvin Lewis record.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've never understand this question.

Tomlin has built up an offense loaded with weapons. Going on that ethos, if he didn't have Ben, I would say it's far more than likely that we would have drafted a high round QB or acquired one in FA. We wouldn't just be sitting there with a Brian St Pierre hoping it will all come good.

We have seen what the team has done with the loss of key players over the last couple of years - as with any team lacking key players, they have sometimes performed well, and sometimes had their weaknesses exposed.

9. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    We all know the story. Tomlin is supposedly a good motivator. I question that because it seemed to me the Steelers came out flat Sunday. Anyway we all know that he is a poor in game coach. Comparing him to Belichick might be unfair because Belichick is the GOAT in imho, but Tomlin just cannot make the in game adjustments needed during the course of the game when situations change. We know he won't get fired because of his record, the Rooney rule or because he is black, whatever the reason. Fine don't fire him, promote him upstairs to VP of something then hire a head coach who can mange a game. We are just Pi**ing away all this talent. Once Ben leaves we are screwed.

• Agree Agree x 1