1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to the offense last night?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 43FOLyfe!, Nov 28, 2011.

1. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I like to go back and look at the Patriots game as a "gold" standard on how our offense should play.

On Offense:
    1) 5 wideouts, small passes for between 5 - 15 yards, and if you get a long ball you think you can connect on, go for it.
    2) Heath Miller. I just can't believe he was completely covered all night.
    3) No huddle offense. Whenever we use it, it works like a charm. Were we just going into KC thinking we don't have to do anything special? Yeah...That didn't work.
    4) Clock management. During the Pats game we had that down to brass tactics. Kept Brady off the field.

On Defense:
    1) Man to man coverage! I can't say enough about that. If you can stall NE's offense going man to man, then use it all the time!
    2) Pressure, pressure, pressure.....Where was it last night? Oh, I know where it was. It was in prevent mode which does NOTHING for us.

Chime in everyone and good Monday to ya'll!! :flag:

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    you got some good points but I think we will still throw the bombs as much as possible because we are trying to get wallace to 2000 yards

3. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Here's an interesting stat for the stat-heads out there. I hope this improves by playoff time!

On third downs, Ben Roethlisberger has passed 97 times and turned 52 of them into first downs – a 53.6 percent conversion rate that’s best in the league. Yet he’s only completing 46.3 percent of his passes in the fourth quarter of close games, better only than Curtis Painter among NFL regulars.

I just don't understand these things! Who is Curtis Painter, anyway?! Also, what's considered a "close" game? :p

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Ar ... asure.html

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Last night? How about the last 5 years? Other than the occasional outbursts of scoring, our offense has typically been aenemic since BA took over when compared to teams with supposedly elite QB's. there are plenty of execution problems; every teams suffers through them, but our overall offensive production/consistency has been lacking.

5. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    The problem I saw last night was the same problem we have had for awhile. Our oline paticulary both Guards stink. When we lost Pouncy we lost our ability to rush at all. Add to that Mendy seems to dance way to much. He doesn't seem to be a typical Steeler runing back and doesn't appear to be that main back like Bettis was. I understand Bussy is a future hall of famer so the comparison might not be the best; but I'm not at all happy with him. My hope is next year we draft two solid guards and a steeler back. In the past with a lead, Bussy took over in the 4th and owned the game. Now we pray our defense can hold the line because the run game is not there.

6. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    The problem I saw last night was the same problem we have had for awhile. Our oline paticulary both Guards stink. When we lost Pouncy we lost our ability to rush at all. Add to that Mendy seems to dance way to much. He doesn't seem to be a typical Steeler runing back and doesn't appear to be that main back like Bettis was. I understand Bussy is a future hall of famer so the comparison might not be the best; but I'm not at all happy with him. My hope is next year we draft two solid guards and a steeler back. In the past with a lead, Bussy took over in the 4th and owned the game. Now we pray our defense can hold the line because the run game is not there.

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ditto on the internal O line problems. They flat out stink.

8. ND_Steel

ND_Steel Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Loved seeing the Defense hold the lead and I'll take the win on the road against a desparate team. Can do nothing but boost the confidence of the D. Don't like seeing guys getting hurt like Troy going down.

Offense is what it is. Would like to see a more consistent running game, but I don't think we're going to see that as long as BA is here. He mixes in the runs only to set up the passing game. WR screens is getting way old. When's the last time you seen a good Steelers screen pass. Heck, I would even take a TE screen over these quick dumps; gonna just end up getting Wallace hurt. Ben gets blitzed nearly every down. Good thing Brown is turning into a heck of a wideout.

9. black&gold1969

black&gold1969 Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I do believe a lot has to do with us being in the Super Bowl last year. Teams are gunning for us and playing up to our level. Why is it every team we play has a STUD defensive lineman that makes a difference?????????????

But every one is right, as long as BA is here, we will not have a dominant running game. Way to inconsistent. Sickening.