1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to players like Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Jan 3, 2019.

1. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Jerome came in as a big time RB, regulated as time went on, but continued to be a consummate pro until riding off in the sunset.

Ward, even though had a chip on his shoulder, put everything into this team. Sure there was some contracts disputes but it never had a negative impact on the team,

What has happened to players like this?

Is it just the world we live in today?

Is it just not finding the right players? Is it management?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    We had special players that could play AND were good people.

Some of them on this team now are a joke.

Bring back the character of old. Don't cater to assholes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I think it’s all of those above quite honestly. Tomlin gave these players to much leeway and it came back to bite him. Most skill players really only care about themselves these days. It’s the world of entitlement and me first attitudes. You look at that SB team that won with Cowher and in 2009. Look at the team chemistry vs now. We have no true leaders in the locker room and nobody dared to not show up for a practice cause there would be hell to pay with players such as Porter, Troy, Jerome, Hines and etc.

The biggest thing out of this all is that Art Rooney hasn’t said a word in all of this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I dunno but I had this same conversation recently. Miss Bettis Farrior Smith Ward and Polamalu even Big Snack Kiesel . These guys knew what it meant to be a steeler and professional player. Most if not all of this would go away if not for social media. guys constantly taking pics of themselves taping their workouts and 1.5 million people following AB on twitter want to know everything about him and if they get a like or a retweet they feeling like they are special. Any wonder some of these guys get huge egos and act like dick heads?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    A lot of it is the world we live in these days as well. Social media breeds people acting like how we see certain Steelers players acting. We all have friends who are the same way I'm sure. Fake on social media posing for their picture like they are the happiest people in the world yet we know what they are truly like whether its miserable, fake, etc. AB with his stats I would imagine should have won team MVP 3x minimum, but clearly he is not the most respected TEAM player thus when a guy other team members appreciate and like has an amazing year like JUJU they give it to him. This could be a way of the team saying AB is a ME 1st guy.

It is hard to compare guys of diff eras especially with the 24/7 in your face news cycle of today. I really wonder what certain players would have been like with social media. Bradshaw was before my time, but I can only imagine how he would come across on social media.

There is nobody to put AB in check as Ben albeit is a great QB seems to lack in the leadership department as he comes across as "trying" to say the right things but is always taking a backhanded dig at someone to pass the blame.

The James Harrison era ended awkwardly with him not being a team player his last year here, but seems like he was misled and he just wanted to be on the field as what 39-40 yr old would play to sit on the sidelines.

This has now been multiple instances in which communication has been an issue or the reason given for the issues we see. Maybe Tomlin needs to start treating all players the same. If you are a true team leader and want whats best for the team I would think this is what you would want to.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the least Rooney could do is come out and apologize to the fan base acknowledge what is going on is unacceptable and vow to make the necessary changes to fix it. He owes that to the fans.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol: he doesn't give a shat. The money keeps a rollin in

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    social media ruined todays generation. Lot of narcissistic and depression mental illness stemming from it TBH.

Thats why i got rid of FB lol. just have reddit and dont post anything of myself.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This. Social media has given them the ability to be stars without having to really be stars, or as someone else on the board posted the other day - they don't have to be winners to be famous.

I see this same problem with people I know personally. That's why I use social media strictly for marketing purposes, if not that I'd be off it entirely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    hey guys look at my big house, my perfect family, my nice cars, my subtle hints that i am doing well financially and am better than you.

Then here comes the next person that is trying to outdo their friends and are getting depressed because they dont have the means or funds to keep up, when in reality that other person is living outside their finances.

Hey look at me I can lift 600lbs as a female "natural" athlete. I am better than males and just as strong "naturally". *10000000000000 likes* *has facial hair* lol

hey look at me i just ran 10 marathons in a row, why cant you do that? #marathonforcharity #easypeasy #lifesgreat #callgod

I can go on lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    #ROFLMAO

12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Bettis is just a genuinely good person from every perspective.

Ward is also, but he's definitely got a selfish streak in him also. His stats were very important to him. The difference between him and AB though is that Ward is a lot smarter and aware. He knows how important his public persona and reputation are. AB on the other hand is just too wrapped up in himself to even think about the way he looks to others.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Same here. I ditched Facebook over a year ago and don't miss it one bit. I still have Messenger app on my phone, so I can stay in touch with college friends, etc. I do have a Twitter account, but I never post anything on it. Hell... I really don't even know how to use it, LOL.

I really like smart phone technology... it's convenient and useful for keeping track of finances, hobbies, weather, GPS features, Amazon shopping, etc.... but when combined with social media, it's harmful to society. It's like people don't communicate anymore face to face.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    FB I shy away from, it's too "look at me!". I use Twitter extensively, but you won't find a single selfie there... lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    you know what the sad thing is? I had seen tons of people on FB displaying this whole great life but when I saw them in person they were mindless zombies glued to their phone looking sad lol.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    It's a sickness, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    ... the downfall of humanity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The Draft Classes of 2015 to current are to rebuild that culture. "Hearts 'n' Smarts" all over again. Hopefully this trend can continue.

20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Not all players get treated the same. Starts from high school and all the way to the NFL. Talented players get a lot more money and a little more leeway than most others.

Unfortunately teams take risks. At some point its up to individuals to come to their senses. Teams move on when players become to big of a problem.

21. Gibby60

Gibby60 New Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I'm done, I've been a fan since the 70's. through all sorts of crap. But this team is the joke of the NFL. In the news every week, for the wrong stuff. It's a total mess. Maybe they'll change, I doubt it. The death by 1000 cuts has finally bled me dry. Bettis, Ward, are men.

22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't know about that. There are approximately 18 other teams in the NFL who did worse in '18 and most of those teams haven't sniffed the playoffs in years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yep. I hate to say this but as a fanbase we are all truly spoiled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't know. Is it truly being spoiled if we have a superior product and expect results? I thought being spoiled was just expecting results regardless of what you have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    superior how?