1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What does Dan Moore have on Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Aug 4, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t understand why we aren’t starting Jones at LT or Fautanu there. We invested two high draft picks to the position. It makes no sense. A big part of the growth of the offensive line is the cohesiveness of the unit as a whole. You can’t build that if you don’t have Jones out there now getting reps.

The Ravens lost a ton of lineman this year and they are already plugging in Rosengarten in at RT who was an inferior linemate of Fautanu’s at Washington. The Ravens understand the importance of building cohesiveness. I just don’t understand this at all.

Tomlin does the same thing with Ogunjobi playing over Benton. In fact I am not so sure a better line up with three down lineman on DL isn’t Heyward, Adams and Benton. Dan Moore by all accounts seems like a nice person and you know what you have in him. Why not position Jones for success by getting him reps at LT and Fautaunu at RT for that matter. I can understand easing Frazier in at Center but the LT and RT thing doesn’t make any sense to me.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Yeah, it's so frustrating

3. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Tomlin is going to ruin a great off season if he doesn’t manage the offensive line and Qb’s correctly this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    And it hurts their development to leave them on the bench or to play them out of position...Just ask to Kevin Dotson who now has a big contract after a great year with the rams last year.It would not happen if he would stay with us since he would still been our LG.The RG position is the natural position for Dotson.

It's unacceptable and unbelievable at the same time, the way Tomlin continues to play Moore even if his GM continues to give good options to replace one of the worst LT in the NFL....Make no sense:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Another problem with Tomlin is that he always waits until we have the back against the wall before making changes that should have been made way before!

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the backup swing tackle has to practice too. rookie's have a hard time at first. jones took some time too and moore was teaching him. let the process play out. sheesh. even the worst lineman in the nfl amongst starters is better than many give them credit for. remember he was with terrible QB play and terrible offensive coordinator. moore has started for 3 years in the NFL at the hardest position to play. he's not as bad as many think. let's see him play in the new offense along with the rest of the team. it all don't happen in the first week of camp. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t know what the snap counts are, but IF Moore is getting more snaps than either Fautanu or Jones, and it’s not because they are banged up, then I just don’t get it. Moore is a known entity, and what we know is that he’s a mediocre pass protector and OK run blocker from the LT position. Get the young guys reps and let their talent develop.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The starting DL will be Heyward, Benton, and Ogunjobi.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It's the first week of camp and the experts are already at it. Can only go by what some observers have reported, the kid at times has looked awesome, still very raw in development. Was Jones further along last year, yes, especially in run blocking, drafted higher, and he was replacing a guy much worse than Moore.

Bottom line, 3 preseason games to go, he may well indeed be the starter, especially if some team has a run on T injuries (like LA and Houston did last year) and we get some decent offer for Moore. They are well aware of who and what they have in Fautanu, no need to rush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    He had two OL leave and perform better in Dotson and Greene. A OL coach said we didn’t develop Okorafor correctly and he should do much better in New England.

we are repeating the same mistakes we have made in the past. Moore is not a long term answer. He isn’t the future at the position. Offensive line play is all about gelling and communicating. Reps are very important for each players development and the offensive lines over all play. It makes no sense.

Fautanu is supposedly one of the most pro ready lineman drafted. By having Moore taking starter reps you are literally hurting the development of both Jones and Fautanu. It makes no sense.

Tomlin treats Ogunjobi the same way on the defensive line. It makes zero sense when you have superior talent sitting behind them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    We don’t play a lot of 3 DL. I’m talking about starting Benton over Ogunjobi in 2 DL sets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022

Fautanu is ahead if Jones was last year. Fautanu has a lot more experience than Jones did coming out of college. He slipped to the Steelers because this years draft was deeper at OT than last years class was. The guy is not raw by any means. That’s why this makes it even more ridiculous.

I’m actually more worried about Jones lack of reps than I am about Fautunu. Jones played one year on the left side at the college level. He needs the reps for his development.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    The time is now

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Tomlin is too confortable with Moore for some reason

15. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    In fairness to Tomlin, I don’t see why you would start a rookie over a veteran starter at the opening of training camp. In fact, Cowher’s rookies would hardly see the field in their first year, let alone take a job from a starter at the outset of camp.

Shouldn’t the rookie have to prove himself and earn the position (maybe as training camp progresses or through the preseason games).

If we are still having this conversation at the start of the year or early in the season, then I too will be disappointed, because Moore is quite average and has his own issues.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Gerry Dulac said today that they may keep Jones at RT and move Fautanu to RG. This is complete mismanagement. You start your five best players. So Daniel’s would be on the bench. Makes no sense. If you draft the OT in the first round you start him period … other wise we could have drafted a CB or WR. It makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still want to see Fauntanu play his natural position at LT.

I remember saying the same thing about Dotson playing RG.

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No, Daniels would be playing in San Fran, and Aiyuk would be playing in Pittsburgh.

If what you say is true about Fautanu playing RG in practice, something may be about to happen.

19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree. I think Fautanu may be a more natural athlete than Jones.

20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I never thought about that. You’re right that could be a possibility but even so that’s why we drafted that McCormick. I know he may not be fully ready but moving Fautaunu inside could further impede his development.

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I really hope they don’t trade for Aiyuk. I think it could really hurt the team chemistry for this team. All the guys waiting in their next contract … Najee, Heyward and Pickens would not be pleased. I think it could have an adverse effect. I would rather trade for Deebo Samuel or Ricky Pearsall which isn’t going to happen.

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Please excuse Gerry he was having a senior moment. That would be just mindless.

This! What's funny is Dan Less started at LT his rookie season! A 4th round pick! So now Tomlin wants to ease in the two 1st round picks Jones at LT and Fautanu at RT? Dan Less needs to sit the hell down. Or be traded since he really is not a swing tackle.

Green? He had one good game against us all jacked up on adrenaline other then that he was a scrub as a Steeler. He was pushed around and backwards like a ragdoll! I thought Dotson was a good player what killed him was the amount of penalties he had in 2022. I do believe that Isaac Seumalo is an upgrade.

They are not going to do that. Danial's will play out this year as a veteran helping Frazier and Fautanu. He will get a nice fat contract elsewhere next season and McCormick will take his spot.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2024
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Their base defense is 3 DL :rolleyes:

24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The steelers are very often in nickel,so 2 DL,4 LB and 5 DB

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What do you call a 3-3-5.

I think they ran that defense a lot last year with all the problems they had at ILB.